Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 01:31 PM

5,319 posts, read 9,016,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
Unemployment is at 9.8% and is suppose to go above 10 % and then stay there. After Obama promised us it would not go above 8.5% if we passed his stimulus. And you think it is good that new Jobless claims fell to 521000 new claims. That is one million new jobless people every two months to add to the 9.8% unemployment.

And you use Orwellian new speak and call it good news.

I'd say 9.8% looks pretty good when compared to 25% during the great depression!

Remember it was close to 8% when Obama took office.

A 2% increase is a lot better than a 17% increase!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2009, 01:35 PM

Quote:
I agree and have said if we want to stimulate the economy get rid of the income tax for one year. that would so more than any government program. Can you imagine what it would be like to take home your money
Can you imagine how much your idea would increase the National Debt?

Old 10-08-2009, 01:37 PM

12,481 posts, read 10,259,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
I'd say 9.8% looks pretty good when compared to 25% during the great depression!

very orwellian of you to compare apples and oranges.

More Orwellian new speak. He promised us if we passed the stimilus it would not go above 8.5% .

Not good news anyway you look. So stay in Orwellian speak, however I will point out half million new unemployed every month is not good news.

Old 10-08-2009, 01:40 PM

5,165 posts, read 6,072,791 times
Quote:

It looks alot better then 100%.

Are you black?

Old 10-08-2009, 01:45 PM

12,481 posts, read 10,259,028 times
Quote:
Can you imagine how much your idea would increase the National Debt?
the two stimulus were 1.6 trillion. Divide it out over federal income tax payers evenly. so it would not have an effect as to where we are. instead of Stimulus bill loaded with pork give it to the people that pay. You want a stimulus give it to the people.
Seems the Dems do not care about the debt as long as governement gets the money, but lets not give it to the people.

Old 10-08-2009, 01:46 PM

5,165 posts, read 6,072,791 times
Quote:
the two stimulus were 1.6 trillion. Divide it out over federal income tax payers evenly. so it would not have an effect as to where we are. instead of Stimulus bill loaded with pork give it to the people that pay. You want a stimulus give it to the people.
Seems the Dems do not care about the debt as long as governement gets the money, but lets not give it to the people.
You have that right-- all of a sudden Queen Pelosi is worried about costs!

Deficit May Limit Obama's Ability to Boost Employment - Politics and Government * US * News * Story - CNBC.com (http://www.cnbc.com/id/33228552 - broken link)

Old 10-08-2009, 01:54 PM

38,729 posts, read 26,528,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
I have to disagree with you on that comment. Just like I don't blame Bush (or Clinton) for the way the economy fell; I don't(won't) credit Obama with any economic rising.

You don't credit Clinton with signing NAFTA, Permanent MFNTS for China or the GLBA that rescinded Glass-Steigall? You don't see the connection between Clinton requiring Fannie and Freddie to purchase high risk home loans at a time when banks were being denied mergers by the Fed due to unsatisfactory CRA report cards and the NINJAs and ARMs that were the result? You don't see how banks were able to convert the risky loans they were forced to make under Clinton's enforcement of the CRA into CDOs, thanks to the afore mentioned repeal of Glass-Steigall, that became the toxic assets that cause last years financial meltdown?

Old 10-08-2009, 02:00 PM

Quote:

More Orwellian new speak.

He promised us if we passed the stimilus it would not go above 8.5% .

Not good news anyway you look. So stay in Orwellian speak, however I will point out half million new unemployed every month is not good news.
He is not a prognosticator.

He cant predict how every single company in the entire US will be affected by the recession.

So holding him to his original 8.5% GUESS is ludicrous!

His original estimate was based on the economic data he had at that time.

And as new data was received, his original estimate turned out to be low.

At least Obama was a lot closer with his estimate on unemployment than Bush was with the cost of the Iraq War!

Bush told the American people the war would cost 60 billion.

It has since cost 15 times that number, and still counting.

Last edited by RD5050; 10-08-2009 at 02:08 PM..

Old 10-08-2009, 02:01 PM

68,410 posts, read 54,725,794 times
This isn't good news for the "The hell with the country, we just wanna see Obama fail at any cost" herd.

Old 10-08-2009, 02:02 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,434,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
You don't credit Clinton with signing NAFTA, Permanent MFNTS for China or the GLBA that rescinded Glass-Steigall? You don't see the connection between Clinton requiring Fannie and Freddie to purchase high risk home loans at a time when banks were being denied mergers by the Fed due to unsatisfactory CRA report cards and the NINJAs and ARMs that were the result? You don't see how banks were able to convert the risky loans they were forced to make under Clinton's enforcement of the CRA into CDOs, thanks to the afore mentioned repeal of Glass-Steigall, that became the toxic assets that cause last years financial meltdown?
I don't credit Clinton, Bush, or Obama alone for the current economic state of the country. For some reason it bothers me to think that one man has the power to destroy or save the nation all by himself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies