Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you believe pedophilia is another sexuality, just as being straight and gay?
Yes. 8 10.39%
No. 62 80.52%
Not sure/No opinion. 7 9.09%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 05:17 PM

554 posts, read 2,501,719 times

Advertisements

In another thread, a fellow City-Data member made a statement that pedophilia is another form of sexuality. I thought about it for a while, and agree and disagree with this statement.

I agree in the sense that pedophilia affects both heterosexuals and homosexuals at the same rate (meaning, homosexuals AREN'T more likely to be pedophiles than heterosexuals, and vice versa).

However, I doubt that all pedophiles are simply attracted to children (then again, I'm not very enlightened on this subject, so I could be wrong); meaning, they have a preference of girls over boys or vise versa. This WOULD mean that they are straight or gay to begin with, right? Furthermore, while pedophilia affects straights and gays justly, men are the vast majority of pedophiles. Why does this phoenomenon affect men more than women (then again, men also account for the majority of rape and murder cases as well...is there a link between the three? Who knows..).

So while I'm unsure, I'm leaning more to pedophilia not being a sexuality.

What do you think? Do you believe pedophilia is another category of human sexuality? Vote in the poll and explain your reasoning below, if you'd like.

Extra: Are pedophiles born that way, or is it learned? If they are born that way, would pedophilia be an orientation? If they AREN'T born that way, can they be changed, or is it like a scar? Just a thought.

Old 09-03-2009, 05:25 PM

37,222 posts, read 19,210,527 times
I don't know if they are born that way or not, but their love interests are incapable of consenting to a relationship.

They can think about it all they like. When they act they should be put away for life.

Old 09-03-2009, 05:35 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,173,555 times
I voted Not Sure/No Opinion because of the way the question is worded. It implies that if it is in fact a sexuality, acting on it is justifiable. I do believe that pedophilia is a sexuality or orientation, however, I don't believe it should be encouraged or condoned. Age of consent is where we should draw the line when it comes to relationships.

I'd also like to add that being gay or straight is irrelevant to whether or not somebody is a pedophile. Many pedophiles don't see genders anyway since little kids really aren't sexually developed.

Old 09-03-2009, 05:44 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICAGOLAND92 View Post
First you need to define sexuality.

if you go with Merriam-Webster; c : expression of sexual receptivity or interest, then I would think that pedophilia is indeed a form of sexuality i.e., naturally occurring. But all sexualities are not created equal.

Old 09-03-2009, 05:45 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,958,589 times
Both are wrong but I'll make a distinction between molestations within a household (ie father-daughter) and stranger molestations. With the latter, whether it's nature or nurture, I believe their brains are wired that way and they can't control it - hence so many re-offenders - and why offenders need to be on a short leash.

Old 09-03-2009, 05:48 PM

4,829 posts, read 6,931,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICAGOLAND92 View Post
In another thread, a fellow City-Data member made a statement that pedophilia is another form of sexuality. I thought about it for a while, and agree and disagree with this statement.

I agree in the sense that pedophilia affects both heterosexuals and homosexuals at the same rate (meaning, homosexuals AREN'T more likely to be pedophiles than heterosexuals, and vice versa).

However, I doubt that all pedophiles are simply attracted to children (then again, I'm not very enlightened on this subject, so I could be wrong); meaning, they have a preference of girls over boys or vise versa. This WOULD mean that they are straight or gay to begin with, right? Furthermore, while pedophilia affects straights and gays justly, men are the vast majority of pedophiles. Why does this phoenomenon affect men more than women (then again, men also account for the majority of rape and murder cases as well...is there a link between the three? Who knows..).

What do you think? Do you believe pedophilia is another category of human sexuality? Vote in the poll and explain your reasoning below, if you'd like.

Extra: Are pedophiles born that way, or is it learned? If they are born that way, would pedophilia be an orientation? If they AREN'T born that way, can they be changed, or is it like a scar? Just a thought.
It is just another form of sexual deviancy. I am sure that one day liberal thought will either make it okay or give it rights of some kind.

Old 09-03-2009, 05:49 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccersupporter View Post
It is just another form of sexual deviancy. I am sure that one day liberal thought will either make it okay or give it rights of some kind.
Pathetic.

Old 09-03-2009, 05:50 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,173,555 times
Quote:
I am sure that one day liberal thought will either make it okay or give it rights of some kind.
I'd love to see the reasoning behind this ridiculous statement.

Old 09-03-2009, 05:51 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,567,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
Both are wrong but I'll make a distinction between molestations within a household (ie father-daughter) and stranger molestations. With the latter, whether it's nature or nurture, I believe their brains are wired that way and they can't control it - hence so many re-offenders - and why offenders need to be on a short leash.
What about the father/daughter distinction? I would think that's the same thing, just much more convenient.

Old 09-03-2009, 05:52 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,567,747 times
Quote:
You know, that's a pretty outrageous & over the top wrong thing to say. You may hate liberals but to make statements like that is beyond disgusting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.