Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 07:06 PM

454 posts, read 796,718 times

Advertisements

Hi Jill,

I understand what you're saying, and respect your position. A big part of my dislike about the Chappaquiddick matter stems from the raw influence the Kennedy family wielded in MA at that time. I do *believe* that all possible pressure was brought to bear in Kennedy being charged so lightly. Remember, Ted was the last surviving Kennedy brother in afamily where Joe was determined to have a (full term) Kennedy in the White House. I think the family went all out to protect him, and was abetted by other who 1) adored the JFK legacy and the ascension of the Irish Catholics to real power 2) saw no point in pushing the investigation when the family had already been through so much and Kopechne was already dead and 3) the craven folks who'll cut the powerful a favor in hopes of getting payback.

I understand his public works were enough for many folks. For me, the fact he spent a good 20 more years engaging in some really egregious behaviour weighs against it. The coke, the drinking, the smear campaign against Joan: to *me* it indicates a stunning lack of character.

Rather like the doctor who works for pennies saving the lives of the poor, then goes home, kicks the dog and beats the wife. In my view, the public/professional good deeds must be acknowledged, but I still have zero respect for the man.

Again, it's a complex situation and one's view on this will
be informed by personal experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2009, 07:50 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,449,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missmoose View Post

Hi Jill,

I understand what you're saying, and respect your position. A big part of my dislike about the Chappaquiddick matter stems from the raw influence the Kennedy family wielded in MA at that time. I do *believe* that all possible pressure was brought to bear in Kennedy being charged so lightly. Remember, Ted was the last surviving Kennedy brother in afamily where Joe was determined to have a (full term) Kennedy in the White House. I think the family went all out to protect him, and was abetted by other who 1) adored the JFK legacy and the ascension of the Irish Catholics to real power 2) saw no point in pushing the investigation when the family had already been through so much and Kopechne was already dead and 3) the craven folks who'll cut the powerful a favor in hopes of getting payback.
I might believe that, too, except that the police chief is on record, even just this past week, that the Kennedys never pressured him or tried to influence him in any way. Could he be lying? I guess so. But his character has never been impugned in that regard, so my default position is to take him at his word.
Quote:
Then-Chief Arena remembers the intense criticism of his investigation from his own counterparts.

Diver John Farrar, who pulled Kopechne from the car, told media outlets she may have lived had Kennedy called police immediately, and George Killen, a detective-lieutenant with the State Police, alleged at the time that Kennedy "killed that girl the same as if he put a gun to her head and pulled the trigger."

Kennedy's explanation was a "weak defense," Arena acknowledges, but he insists there was no evidence of negligence to facilitate manslaughter charges.

Arena said the Kennedys never pressured him during the investigation. He also never obfuscated details to benefit Kennedy -- in part, because of a paternal adage he has always held dear.

"When you tell the truth, you don't have to worry about what you said the first time," he said. "The charge I came up with was the only one I thought we could prove. ... I did what I could, and I'll stick by it."

Experts: Media today would demand Chappaquiddick answers - CNN.com
Here's a newspaper scan from the time of the inquest. One of the judges recused himself because of his son's relationship with Kennedy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missmoose

I understand his public works were enough for many folks. For me, the fact he spent a good 20 more years engaging in some really egregious behaviour weighs against it. The coke, the drinking, the smear campaign against Joan: to *me* it indicates a stunning lack of character.

Rather like the doctor who works for pennies saving the lives of the poor, then goes home, kicks the dog and beats the wife. In my view, the public/professional good deeds must be acknowledged, but I still have zero respect for the man.
Had Ted Kennedy died at any point during those years when he was boozing, womanizing and smearing Joan, I would probably have been the first in line to pee on his grave. At that point, he was a bum who'd done nothing to redeem himself. Were he still the man who was going home and kicking his dog at the end of the day, I'd be right there with you.

But he didn't die that man. He righted his ship, as it were, and worked at repairing the world to the extent that he was able. He was the man who used to go home and kick his dog, but hadn't done so for 20 years. Is there no room for redemption for a changed man?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missmoose

Again, it's a complex situation and one's view on this will
be informed by personal experience.
I can certainly respect that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies