Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 10:05 AM

11,431 posts, read 19,039,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
Relayed in a personal letter written to Senator Kennedy, which reads in part:

"The Holy Father has read the letter which you entrusted to President Obama, who kindly presented it to him during their recent meeting. He was saddened to know of your illness, and asked me to assure you of his concern and his spiritual closeness. He is particularly grateful for your promise of prayers for him, for the needs of our universal church.

"His Holiness prays that in the days ahead, you may be sustained in faith and hope, and granted the precious grace of joyful surrender to the will of God, our merciful father. He invokes upon you the consolation and peace promised by the risen savior to all who share in his sufferings, and trust in his promise of eternal life.

"Commending you and the members of your family to the loving intervention of the Blessed Virgin Mary, the Holy Father cordially imparts his apostolic blessing as a pledge of wisdom, comfort, and strength in the Lord."

Excerpts from Kennedy's letter to Pope Benedict XVI - CNN.com
Since everything about the CAtholic church is about money, I wonder how much Sen Kennedy had to "donate" to receive the blessing of His Eminence?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2009, 10:20 AM

12,373 posts, read 13,220,209 times
Thanks for this thread OP, another myth debunked!

Old 08-30-2009, 11:05 AM

3,857 posts, read 4,223,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Written by an aid. How embarrassing.
You don't have a secretary or aid to write letters for you? Everyone I know has that type of assistance at work, otherwise, they would never get finished with all their tasks. OF COURSE, everyone oversees the actual message conveyed in letters written by their assistants and secretaries.

Do YOU think that the Pope's assistant perhaps lied in that letter and wrote something which the Pope did not know about or did not convey to the aid should be written?

Sanrene, how embarrassing for you to not know better than your post implies.

Old 08-30-2009, 11:08 AM

3,857 posts, read 4,223,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
It's time to end the celebrity worship of politicians - and the Kennedys have done all they could to promote themselves as some kind of elite aristocrats that have some special right to rule this country.
You know, this sounds like sour grapes to me.

Old 08-30-2009, 11:51 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,529,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin13 View Post
You don't have a secretary or aid to write letters for you? Everyone I know has that type of assistance at work, otherwise, they would never get finished with all their tasks. OF COURSE, everyone oversees the actual message conveyed in letters written by their assistants and secretaries.

Do YOU think that the Pope's assistant perhaps lied in that letter and wrote something which the Pope did not know about or did not convey to the aid should be written?

Sanrene, how embarrassing for you to not know better than your post implies.
I don't mean to interject my opinion if this post is part of an ongoing exchange between Austin and Sanrene but it sounds like there is a reason why the official reply was not from the Pope--religion and politics and international diplomacy? And perhaps Kennedy's support for Pro Choice in the US.

A poster responded that it was significant to Catholics that the Holy Father bestowed the Apostolic blessing and explained this a few posts earlier in this thread.

There was an official response and that is sufficient for me.

Old 08-30-2009, 11:55 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,134,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Written by an aid. How embarrassing.
Better to keep him from offending more people for his poor choice of quotes or words.

Vatican offends Orthodox churches, saying they are defective | HULIQ

By Forgiving Traditionalists, the Pope Offends Jews - TIME

Pope outrages Jews over Holocaust denier - CNN.com

Pope’s remarks enrage Muslims - Europe- msnbc.com

Old 08-30-2009, 12:05 PM

454 posts, read 797,499 times
As someone who is deeply ambivalent about the Edward Kennedy legacy, I'm not sure which is more irritating - the blind lionization of a seriously flawed man, or the blind hatred of a man who tried to do right by the "not haves".

Old 08-30-2009, 12:10 PM

68,363 posts, read 54,576,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
I don't mean to interject my opinion if this post is part of an ongoing exchange between Austin and Sanrene but it sounds like there is a reason why the official reply was not from the Pope--religion and politics and international diplomacy? And perhaps Kennedy's support for Pro Choice in the US.

When the Pope instructs his US arm to start paying taxes on their properties his political opinions will be welcomed, until then he should tend to his own dysfunctional flock and keep his mouth shut on US law.

Old 08-30-2009, 12:21 PM

90,296 posts, read 121,034,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missmoose View Post
As someone who is deeply ambivalent about the Edward Kennedy legacy, I'm not sure which is more irritating - the blind lionization of a seriously flawed man, or the blind hatred of a man who tried to do right by the "not haves".
I agree.

Old 08-30-2009, 12:26 PM

2,557 posts, read 5,872,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
When the Pope instructs his US arm to start paying taxes on their properties his political opinions will be welcomed, until then he should tend to his own dysfunctional flock and keep his mouth shut on US law.

When all religions are instructed to pay property taxes, I'm sure the Catholic Church will follow suit!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies