Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 11:17 PM

38,815 posts, read 26,682,430 times

Advertisements

Can you name even one thing that Dick Cheney did that was unethical or immoral?

Be quicker to name what he HADN'T done illegal.

Still looking for an answer to the original question.

Yet, we have Obama, in clear violation of the Constitution, firing the CEO of GM (Where is the Constitutional authority for that?), taking over GM (the law provides for bankruptcy, and that is the path that should have been followed in the first place).

Sorry, more neocon spin. Obama didn't fire anyone. The CEO took his severance package and ran rather than face oversight. being a ahrd-core right-winger, you might need to look that word up, "oversight".

Rick Wagner decided to quit all on his own?

The Obama administration asked Rick Wagoner, the chairman and CEO of General Motors, to step down and he agreed, a White House official said.

Wagoner's departure is one of the remarkable strings attached to a new aid package the administration plans to offer GM.

The White House confirmed Wagoner was leaving at the government's behest after The Associated Press reported his immediate departure, without giving a reason.

GM CEO Wagner resigns at Obama Administration request - Automotive Digital Marketing Professional Community (ADM)

Wagner was made the scape goat so that the UAW could avoid scrutiny.

All of the transplants in the US that do not employ the UAW are profitable, and they are profitable making small fuel efficient vehicles. Try to make small fuel efficient vehicles with UAW labor rates and turn a profit! If Wagner couldn't do it, what makes you think CEO Obama can?

In further violation of law, the US Government (that's Obama and his team), forced people who should have been the first in line, to take pennies on the dollar for their stake in GM, and the Unions and union bosses were given the largest percentage. This is illegal, and makes a mockery of our legal system and of Contract Law.

But you people were fine with this.

I supported bankruptcy, but you'll be hard pressed to prove the actions "illegal". Just 'cause Limbaugh says it is, doesn't make it so.

So why did we attempt to bail out a business that was headed to bankruptcy anyway? So we could pick the winners and losers at the end. The government stuck its big nose in so that they could hook up the UAW. That's why!

Obama's mess is his mess, and his alone. He did not inherit the mess we have now. He created it; by mishandling the recession that he may have inherited. This is because he has no clue what drives an economy.

Every expert out there is saying that he is doing, and has done all the wrong things.

Fox News hasn't had "every expert out there" on their programs.

Spending — trillions of dollars, that we don't have, making a bad situation hundreds of times worse. "He inherited Bush's (or Cheny's if you like) mess"? Hardly. All this has been done since Bush and Cheny left office.

Spending on programs that we don't need or want, that cannot stimulate the economy, because only business, and the expansion of business can grow the economy and create jobs.

"Deficit Spending" - a recognized economic theory used to break out of recessions. Look it up. Whether it works or not remains to be seen. BTW, unemployment ratings are slipping in several states, oops for neocon spin.

How much common sense is required to understand the New Deal style political payola doesn't do anything except blow up the deficit. Unemployment after seven years of FDR New Dealery was still at 18%, yet leftist will still swear by it. Unemployment never went back to pre-new deal rates until the military draft was reinstated in September 1940. It never worked!

Handing money to banks. For what? Nobody can tell us where it went, and the banks didn't lend it. They still aren't lending it.

As opposed to StimBill One, crafted and then mishandled by Republicans that handed over money with no oversight whatsoever, money we cannot account for today?

Last I heard Congress has been under Democratic control since 2006.

Handing money to people to buy cars, and destroying perfectly good ones. Where does the money come from? Other people, who earned it; or, the government created it out of thin air. And those people must pay taxes on that income.

Heavens forbid Big Auto get some business or dealers actually have people walk through their doors. GASP! BTW, do you REALLY think the unemployed and/or those on welfare went to buy new cars? Every dealer I've every bought a car from does a credit check and won't sell to you unless you have a job.

Most of the vehicles sold under the program were Japanese and Korean vehicles. A small percentage of those vehicles were built here. Even the the Focus is built in Mexico. We borrowed money from the Chinese to buy used vehicles desperately needed by the poorest Americans and destroy the engines and transmissions. Why?

We could have used that same borrowed money to modify those existing vehicles to get better fuel economy with engine and transmission controller software changes (less than $100) and an add-on TPM system (tire pressure monitor) less than $500 that could be done to thousands and thousands of existing vehicles, but that would accomplish the goals of increased fuel economy and reduced emissions while employing unemployed auto mechanics instead of UAW members. It could be easy to do this the right way if the government weren't so concerned about rewarding its pet union thugs?

Everything this man has done so far has cost more job loss, put businesses out of business, and driven the economy ever closer to a deep depression.

Strange how you don't mention the de-regulations and doomed-to-fail Trickle Down Economics of the past administration that caused the recession in the first place. Blind party loyalty, so sad.

Deregulation that is associated with CDOs was signed by Clinton, not Bush. Perhaps you know of a bill signed by Bush that I don't.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gramm-Leach-Bliley_Act

http://banking.senate.gov/conf/grmleach.htm

http://www.businessinsider.com/sorry-folks-the-cra-really-did-require-crap-lending-standards-2009-6

This is Carter style, only Carter in four years didn't do near as much damage to the economy.

If you were old enough to have been employed during Carter's administration, you would know that statement for exactly what it is, empty rhetoric. However, anyone living through Reagan's terms would see the same exact failed economic and deregulation policies forwarded for the past 8 years.

Name the Reagan bills.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/maps/obama_vs_mccain/?map=18

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/maps/obama_vs_mccain/?map=17

Our country is in the most serious trouble it has been in its entire history. All because of this one man, and his band of "Progressives", thugs, that are pulling his strings. He is the real puppet. The lackey of the "leftists".

Oh look, more empty rhetoric. This is a recession, not the Depression. BTW, only the hard-core right-wingers (and neocon media) expected any Dem POTUS who came after Bush43 to fart miracles out his bottom. Everyone else knows it takes time for an economy to recover.

So why did we borrow $800,000,000,000?

Hope your enjoying it. My business is dead, an also the business of others I know who are self employed. This isn't fun, and it surely isn't funny. Thanks a pile for putting that idiot in power.

Fixed the above quote for you, no charge.

BTW, before you exhibit to C-D.com your black-0and-white political world-view, I am a Centrist and a registered Independant, not a lib or a Dem.[/quote]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2009, 11:51 PM

674 posts, read 1,629,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post

Our country is in the most serious trouble it has been in its entire history. All because of this one man, and his band of "Progressives", thugs, that are pulling his strings. He is the real puppet. The lackey of the "leftists".

Hope your enjoying it. My business is dead, an also the business of others I know who are self employed. This isn't fun, and it surely isn't funny. Thanks a pile for putting that idiot in power.
[/quote]

This is completely true but Obama certainly is not to blame for $10 trillion debt of G W Bush and his free trade policy with China which completely killed production in this country. I have friends who have lost 85% of their business in this recession. They are hard working people. This situation is as bad as it can get. Bailouts should exist for small companies - not for worthless banks.

Old 08-28-2009, 11:56 PM

674 posts, read 1,629,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
Obama has created more debt then any President in American history and he has done it in 8 months.

The biggest idiot is in the WH right now.

I know there are many, many dumb people in america, but where on EARTH do you get this theory from???
Obama has no no means created any actual debts for the country! He is living on the landslide of G W Bush's actions. This is going to take years to solve, and thank god this country has someone like Obama right now who is willing to listen to advisors and even big wigs like Warren Buffet and others to slowdown and stop this landslide. Its an incredibly difficult situation.

George W Bush has done irreparable damage to this country. He is nothing but a rabid dog and should be executed for all the crimes against humanity, and the robbery he did against the people of this country. And you know he got rich on the misery of people here too, don't you?

Last edited by Reads2MUCH; 08-29-2009 at 03:37 PM..

Old 08-29-2009, 05:18 AM

1,664 posts, read 2,313,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feel The Love View Post
Bush leaves office in disgrace with maybe 20% poll numbers, and you call Obama's "failed experiment"? You need to go to work for the North Koreans, you do the best dis-information crap I've ever seen.
I had high hopes for the Obama presidency. I knew he was inexperienced but I hoped that he would prove to be a good leader and a competent governor and executive. I'm beginning to seriously question his competence and even his intelligence.

The election of Barack Obama is an experiment in a lot of ways not the least of which was taking a chance on his inexperience. When Obama's competency is questioned, the best many of his supporters can come up with is to point out where someone else may have been less competent.

Do you folks understand that how competent or incompetent George Bush may have been has absolutely nothing to do with how competent Barack Obama is? To put this forth as a serious argument to support Obama's competency is evidence of the inablility to understand relationships, cause and effect or conceptual ideas. It's an inability to understand what one thing has, or does not have, to do with another. It's a lack of intelligence.

Take this post as an example. I'm sorry to pick on you. You are just an example of many The poster says:

"Bush leaves office in disgrace with maybe 20% poll numbers, and you call Obama's "failed experiment"?"

Here he is attempting to prove that Obama is not failing by pointing out that Bush had low poll numbers! I realize that there are many who will not understand my point and will still think that this poster has a good argument. However, I'm thinking there may be a few who will see how ridiculous this is.

This is just a failed attempt to argue a point by someone who either has absolutely no facts or simply does not have the ability or intelligence to argue the point effectively. Again, I'm sorry to pick on you. You are not alone. This is typical.

- Reel

Old 08-29-2009, 06:01 AM

27,224 posts, read 47,052,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelist in Atlanta View Post
I had high hopes for the Obama presidency. I knew he was inexperienced but I hoped that he would prove to be a good leader and a competent governor and executive. I'm beginning to seriously question his competence and even his intelligence.

The election of Barack Obama is an experiment in a lot of ways not the least of which was taking a chance on his inexperience. When Obama's competency is questioned, the best many of his supporters can come up with is to point out where someone else may have been less competent.

Do you folks understand that how competent or incompetent George Bush may have been has absolutely nothing to do with how competent Barack Obama is? To put this forth as a serious argument to support Obama's competency is evidence of the inablility to understand relationships, cause and effect or conceptual ideas. It's an inability to understand what one thing has, or does not have, to do with another. It's a lack of intelligence.

Take this post as an example. I'm sorry to pick on you. You are just an example of many The poster says:

"Bush leaves office in disgrace with maybe 20% poll numbers, and you call Obama's "failed experiment"?"

Here he is attempting to prove that Obama is not failing by pointing out that Bush had low poll numbers! I realize that there are many who will not understand my point and will still think that this poster has a good argument. However, I'm thinking there may be a few who will see how ridiculous this is.

This is just a failed attempt to argue a point by someone who either has absolutely no facts or simply does not have the ability or intelligence to argue the point effectively. Again, I'm sorry to pick on you. You are not alone. This is typical.

- Reel
You nailed it....blaming others doesn't make a person look better. Winners know what they did wrong, losers always point to others.

I thought it was Obama's tactics for his campaign to blame Bush, which I understand is part of politics and both sides have done it, BUT keep blaming some one else make Obama look like a whiner, inexperienced (as we knew he was) and incapable of being a leader. On top of that it is shocking to see who he appointed as Czar's...mostly radical people and some who got arrested before. All his associations are telling who Obama really is....which counts for us all. I remember my kids principal in 5th grade telling all the students "if you hang out with losers you will become a loser, if you hang out with winners, your chances of becoming a winner are way bigger"

Old 08-29-2009, 09:39 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,791,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Well, dswenert, you couldn't be more wrong.

Will any of you leftist ever start to think for yourself, instead of posting all the old, and tired propaganda from MoveOn, Think Progress and all the other extreme leftist groups?

Can you name even one thing that Dick Cheney did that was unethical or immoral?

Yet, we have Obama, in clear violation of the Constitution, firing the CEO of GM (Where is the Constitutional authority for that?), taking over GM (the law provides for bankruptcy, and that is the path that should have been followed in the first place).

In further violation of law, the US Government (that's Obama and his team), forced people who should have been the first in line, to take pennies on the dollar for their stake in GM, and the Unions and union bosses were given the largest percentage. This is illegal, and makes a mockery of our legal system and of Contract Law.

But you people were fine with this.

Obama's mess is his mess, and his alone. He did not inherit the mess we have now. He created it; by mishandling the recession that he may have inherited. This is because he has no clue what drives an economy.

Every expert out there is saying that he is doing, and has done all the wrong things.

Spending — trillions of dollars, that we don't have, making a bad situation hundreds of times worse. "He inherited Bush's (or Cheny's if you like) mess"? Hardly. All this has been done since Bush and Cheny left office.

Spending on programs that we don't need or want, that cannot stimulate the economy, because only business, and the expansion of business can grow the economy and create jobs.

Handing money to banks. For what? Nobody can tell us where it went, and the banks didn't lend it. They still aren't lending it.

Handing money to people to buy cars, and destroying perfectly good ones. Where does the money come from? Other people, who earned it; or, the government created it out of thin air. And those people must pay taxes on that income.

Everything this man has done so far has cost more job loss, put businesses out of business, and driven the economy ever closer to a deep depression.

This is Carter style, only Carter in four years didn't do near as much damage to the economy.

Hope your enjoying it. My business is dead, an also the business of others I know who are self employed. This isn't fun, and it surely isn't funny. Thanks a pile for putting this idiot in power.
This individual is rather humorous. He's basically asserting that any use of government for anything should be illegal (it isn't).

Sometimes you have to spend money to make money. Sometimes it's in a nation's best interest to not let its domestic industrial base collapse due to economic problems beyond its control.

Thanks to Obama's vision, GM has posted its first positive sales in many years and early economic indicators are all headed in the right direction.

You may disagree with the economic philosophy of deficit spending in recession, but it's a very well known theory that has worked in the past. It's not illegal.

And, to answer your question about illegal activity carried out by Cheney legally (though no politiically in today's culture) viable for impeachment: Congressman Dennis Kucinich

Old 08-29-2009, 09:44 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,791,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
You nailed it....blaming others doesn't make a person look better. Winners know what they did wrong, losers always point to others.

I thought it was Obama's tactics for his campaign to blame Bush, which I understand is part of politics and both sides have done it, BUT keep blaming some one else make Obama look like a whiner, inexperienced (as we knew he was) and incapable of being a leader. On top of that it is shocking to see who he appointed as Czar's...mostly radical people and some who got arrested before. All his associations are telling who Obama really is....which counts for us all. I remember my kids principal in 5th grade telling all the students "if you hang out with losers you will become a loser, if you hang out with winners, your chances of becoming a winner are way bigger"

Stop buying into propaganda, bentlebee. You're better than that. For starters, most wise economists and business leaders do not see his appointees as radicals. You might hold fringe beliefs yourself if you see it that way, but he has a pretty darn moderate administration.

Unfortunately for your hypothesis about responsibility, Obama has consistently done the complete opposite of what you're suggesting (if you would actually isten to him). He has done nothing but shoulder the responsibility for all these problems, even mistakes made by people in his administration for which he had no control:

For example, in his own words:

"I love the folks who helped get us in this mess and then suddenly say, 'Well, this is Obama's economy,'" the president told an outdoor crowd at Macomb Community College, veering off his scripted words. "That's fine. Give it to me. My job is to solve problems, not to stand on the sidelines and harp and gripe."

(nice tidbit in there for the teleprompter crowd as well)

Old 08-29-2009, 11:02 AM

12,309 posts, read 9,842,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
(nice tidbit in there for the teleprompter crowd as well)
Lol!

The "teleprompter crowd" is among my favorite sources of humor. As though they were born last week and clueless to the history of teleprompter use. And clueless as well in their blindness to what their shallow comments reveal about them.

If Fox News were ever to leave the air, I'm afraid message counts on this and similar forums would be halved since the teleprompter crowd could not complete a sentence if they were not suckling in real time.

Old 08-29-2009, 11:43 AM

4,275 posts, read 5,451,121 times
momonkey, please clean up your post so I can address it point-by-point please.

Old 08-29-2009, 06:09 PM

1,653 posts, read 4,323,759 times
Thanks for posting this. This is only the tip of the iceberg.

And to the rest of you Obama lovers...rememeber he was the one who said " I won" and he said "let's not look back" (even though he does all the time) so there is no need for you to keep dragging Bush around as your excuse.

Bush kept us safe and under Bush we had 6 years of growth until the Democrats got control of the House and then everything changed. Do your homework before you make your childish posts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies