Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 04:11 AM

1,360 posts, read 1,944,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
A. There are a dozen threads on this topic.
B. You're well aware of that fact.
C. Global climate change is the proper term and it is occurring.
D. Micro weather changes are different from macro weather changes.
E. This is not affecting the rising temperatures of the ocean.
The Sky is falling...I rest my case....

Last edited by tonyandclaire89; 08-21-2009 at 04:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2009, 10:57 PM
emh

298 posts, read 852,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyandclaire89 View Post
Official government measurements show that the world's temperature has cooled a bit since reaching its most recent peak in 1998.

Drop in world temperatures fuels global warming debate | McClatchy
Let's see....July 2009 was the 5th warmest on record. Global ocean temperature for July 2009 was the highest ever on record. July 2009 was the 33rd consecutive July with an average global land and ocean surface temperature above the 20th century average.

State of the Climate | Global Analysis | July 2009

Nice try but you fail. You can return to la-la land now.

Old 08-22-2009, 11:14 PM

1,125 posts, read 1,592,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emh View Post
Let's see....July 2009 was the 5th warmest on record. Global ocean temperature for July 2009 was the highest ever on record. July 2009 was the 33rd consecutive July with an average global land and ocean surface temperature above the 20th century average.

State of the Climate | Global Analysis | July 2009

Nice try but you fail. You can return to la-la land now.
See there is the problem that you Global Warming/Climate Change fanatics always overlook. "5th warmest on record" means since they started taking measurements. How many years of measurements do we have? Do we have data from before the last mini ice age? Is it possible that maybe, just maybe the Earth is doing what it always does, after ice ages and mini ice ages warms up for a period and then cools back down again?

There is plenty of evidence that the earth was a heck of a lot warmer than it is now, but you guys don't bother to mention that, you just use data from the last 100 years, which to the earth is nothing more than a blink in time.

And since you guys always demand links (Give me links!) here you go:

temperature

According to this site, the Arctic Ocean was up to 73 degrees F at one point in time. Life survived during this time, and if we are heading back to those days again, we have the technology to live in these conditions also, unless Global Warming fanatics limit our technology in an effort to somehow fix what isn't broken!

Old 08-22-2009, 11:16 PM

4,002 posts, read 3,909,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
.. As for the warming in the Arctic, most don't know that while the ice is melting on one side of Antarctica, the ice sheet on the opposite side is growing and thickening. This points more to the possibility of a slight shift in our axis or crustal slippage.
I could very easily agree that plate tectonics may be playing a roll here.

On the other hand, this could also be a possibility;

The earth is nearly through with its cyclic wobble

Quote:
Milutin Milankovitch -- He claimed that the most important effect was the tilt of the earth's spin axis, relative to the plane of our orbit around the sun. The tilt is now 23.5 degrees from vertical, but it fluctuates between 21.5 and 24.5 degrees, with a cycle time of 41,000 years. A larger tilt should make summers hotter, and winters colder.
The Earth's Wobbles

Quote:
The Serbian astrophysicist Milutin Milankovitch is best known for developing one of the most significant theories relating Earth motions and long-term climate change.
Milutin Milankovitch : Feature Articles

Old 08-22-2009, 11:29 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,287,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
It is "climate change". Didn't you get the memo? That way, CO2 emissions can be implicated whether the temperature goes up or down. Both ways are covered.
Yes, it's a vast world-wide conspiracy by all the world's scientists.

The reason the scientific community changed the name to "climate change" is because they knew than an uneducated public would take the term "global warming" literally and assume that if there were any "cooling," that would disprove the "warming" part. Which, of course, is exactly what has happened. They also knew that the public would thereby be vulnerable to industry shills and their lies, which is also what has happened. And it has happened on this forum: This OP starts threads ONLY about climate change and how it's all a lie, sometimes several times a week. A hired gun, if there ever was one.

Old 08-22-2009, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
Yes, it's a vast world-wide conspiracy by all the world's scientists.

The reason the scientific community changed the name to "climate change" is because they knew than an uneducated public would take the term "global warming" literally and assume that if there were any "cooling," that would disprove the "warming" part. Which, of course, is exactly what has happened. They also knew that the public would thereby be vulnerable to industry shills and their lies, which is also what has happened. And it has happened on this forum: This OP starts threads ONLY about climate change and how it's all a lie, sometimes several times a week. A hired gun, if there ever was one.
The only reason I can see for the name change is that you all needed to protect your cause any way possible. Can't call it Global Warming anymore, the world isn't getting hotter. I know, let's give it a different name and tell everybody that the fact it is getting colder is an indicator that the world is warming!

Sounds like one hell of a PR pitch to me, hope that guy/gal got a big bonus for that one.

Old 08-22-2009, 11:42 PM

1,150 posts, read 2,701,689 times
I guess the naysayers haven't been outside much in the last twenty years or so....

Old 08-22-2009, 11:52 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,287,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymberwulf View Post
The only reason I can see for the name change is that you all needed to protect your cause any way possible. Can't call it Global Warming anymore, the world isn't getting hotter. I know, let's give it a different name and tell everybody that the fact it is getting colder is an indicator that the world is warming!

Sounds like one hell of a PR pitch to me, hope that guy/gal got a big bonus for that one.
Who is "you all"? Are they related to the nefarious "THEM," against which the right wing in this country is militating? The mysterious global cabal of global warming liars?

Do you seriously believe that every leading scientific institution in every country in the world is wrong, or is in on a global conspiracy to con the world's people about climate change? Because that's what you're arguing when you argue against the evidence of climate change.

The claim that because some areas/periods experience cooling, global warming is a hoax is just pathetic. That's the logic of 8-year-olds.

‘It’s cold today in Wagga Wagga’—Weather and climate are different | How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: Responses to the most common skeptical arguments on global warming | Grist

‘Global warming is a hoax’—I wish James Inhofe were just a hoax ... | How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: Responses to the most common skeptical arguments on global warming | Grist

Old 08-22-2009, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
Who is "you all"? Are they related to the nefarious "THEM," against which the right wing in this country is militating? The mysterious global cabal of global warming liars?

Do you seriously believe that every leading scientific institution in every country in the world is wrong, or is in on a global conspiracy to con the world's people about climate change? Because that's what you're arguing when you argue against the evidence of climate change.

The claim that because some areas/periods experience cooling, global warming is a hoax is just pathetic. That's the logic of 8-year-olds.

‘It’s cold today in Wagga Wagga’—Weather and climate are different | How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: Responses to the most common skeptical arguments on global warming | Grist

‘Global warming is a hoax’—I wish James Inhofe were just a hoax ... | How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: Responses to the most common skeptical arguments on global warming | Grist
There you go again, using the first play from the Left wing/tree hugging manual: "If they don't agree with them, insult them by comparing what they are saying to that of a child. It doesn't matter how silly this makes you look, just do it!"

My argument is that what the Earth is experiencing is normal. Mankind has nothing to do with the current climate changes, the Earth is doing it all on its own with the help of that friendly ball of gas we call the sun.

And you keep going back to the scientist who support your side of the argument, but you never bother to understand that the people who are paying their salaries believe in GW. If I was a scientist who needed money, hell yes I would say there was global warming, anything to get that grant and make sure my kids got new shoes for school!

In case you are wondering, that is call a conflict of interest.

Old 08-23-2009, 12:06 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,851,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyandclaire89 View Post
Official government measurements show that the world's temperature has cooled a bit since reaching its most recent peak in 1998.

Drop in world temperatures fuels global warming debate | McClatchy
This is what I got. The ocean temp., which is the real indicator of GW, is the warmest on record.

Quote:
It's not just the ocean off the Northeast coast that is super-warm this summer. July was the hottest the world's oceans have been in almost 130 years of record-keeping.
Quote:
Breaking heat records in water is more ominous as a sign of global warming than breaking temperature marks on land, because water takes longer to heat up and does not cool off as easily as land.
The Associated Press: In hot water: World sets ocean temperature record
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies