Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 06:22 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,198,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
OMG I feel so sorry for gays. They truly are oppressed. When is the government going to ban hate speech and fighting words in Church. That's right. No more "gays are going to hell" stuff in church or in an assembly. Hopefully that comes very soon.
Yeah...be sure to hold your breath on that one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2009, 06:44 PM

1,779 posts, read 2,360,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Well, I totally agree with this post.

But I do believe that marriage belongs exclusively to churches and religion and just because a couple has entered into a civil union-that's not the same as marriage.

But Im not unrealistic. I mean, how do you enforce something like what people call themselves???
exactly, have you ever heard someone who said yes I have a civil union with so and so? No they say that they have a husband, a wife, life partner, or spouse. They will say that they are married.

Also, No marriage should not be just a religious thing since religion did not start it. The correct religious term is not marriage it is holy matrimony. So if you want to say that holy matrimony's are just for the religious that is fine, but some churches do allow homosexual people in their congregation and if two wanted to get married and the church did so then they could not stop them from calling it what it would be.

Old 08-21-2009, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Yeah...be sure to hold your breath on that one.
No you cannot stop a church from preaching what it wants but it can lose its religious status and be forced to incorporate of dissolve. Once it is no longer recognized by the US it would be considered a cult and lose all credibility.

Just look at how far we have come from racism in churches. Many churches used to preach that blacks, asians and such where cast out by god and thus their skin color. How many churches do you see preaching this now?

One day Homosexuals will be in the protection act. So, I say to you dont hold your breath if you expect homosexuals and their supporters to go away and settle for less than what you have or what they want.

I am not a homosexual, but I support those who are. We are many, we are strong, we will not back down.

Old 08-22-2009, 12:04 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,469,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fracturedman View Post

The correct religious term is not marriage it is holy matrimony. So if you want to say that holy matrimony's are just for the religious that is fine, but some churches do allow homosexual people in their congregation and if two wanted to get married and the church did so then they could not stop them from calling it what it would be, [marriage].
This is really important to emphasize. It's precisely the reason we have no reason whatsoever to "compromise" on this issue.

Old 01-07-2010, 12:56 PM

41 posts, read 54,060 times
I suspect that what will happen, even if the churches are given marriage and the civil ceremony is called matrimony, civil union...in time they'll be referred to amongst much of the population as a colloquialism: marriage. I know people in CUs and DPs and I have heard even non-gays say, "they're married".

Old 01-07-2010, 12:59 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,602,739 times
The Church can do and say whatever they want. I don't care. Just like the gays can say whatever they want about religion.

Me? Yes, I think religion is a fraud. I think gays deserve marriage. But the Church (unfortunately :P) also has freedom of speech.

And wtf is up with these people who think that marriage is religious? I know of ATHEISTS that are married. Yes. ATHEISTS! Oh and one ATHEIST couple I know have better marriages than Christians.

ANyone make sense of that?

Old 01-07-2010, 01:16 PM

24,908 posts, read 39,362,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
The Church can do and say whatever they want.
When you say "THE CHURCH", specifically WHICH church are you referring to?

Old 01-07-2010, 01:37 PM

22 posts, read 19,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymberwulf View Post
Uhm, yea God does discuss his dislike of gay folks. And last time I checked I had not blown up any innocent people in city markets, cut off the heads of anyone, and I don't require my wife and daughter to wear clothing from head to toe whenever they go outside.

Your comments are uncalled for and childish. But it is okay to slam religious people these days isn't it, after all it's the cool thing to do now.
No, comments are spot on. You do know that the bible says it's just fine and dandy to stone your kids to death if they disobey you.

Old 01-07-2010, 01:44 PM

22 posts, read 19,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post

Once again this is not about the homosexual lifestyle. This is about Marriage and its definition.
No, it most absolutely is about homosexuals. You see, you religious folk use your religion to mask your hate. This is the way religious folk feel better about hating a certain group. All they have to say is "the bible says it's ok to hate".

If you are so in favor of "protecting the sanction" of marriage then should we ban divorce? because after all, it's against what is written in that book of yours.

Protect marriage! But ban divorce? | Opinion L.A. | Los Angeles Times

BTW, you use the term homosexual "LIFESTYLE". It's not a lifestyle. A lifestyle is something you CHOOSE.

Last edited by troubledsilicate; 01-07-2010 at 01:53 PM..

Old 01-07-2010, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
When you say "THE CHURCH", specifically WHICH church are you referring to?
When someone speaks about "the Church" it is generally any religion that fallows a god or savior. Since most churches do this we are referring to the majority of churches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies