Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are radio stations getting tired of losing money on right wing talk radio.
Yes 18 31.03%
No 40 68.97%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 07:48 PM

45,552 posts, read 60,783,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
That was a year ago. Has anything changed since then?
I don't know. Unless you referencing the election. I do know the local station that carries Limbaugh, Hannity and Levin has shed all their "liberal/progressive" national shows over the last two or three years. They also have gotten rid of the couple of local guys they had doing more regional stuff and basically have the conservative line-up that is the focus of myriad threads and stupidity here.

The local station would be WMAL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2009, 08:33 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,780,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Stop making things up.
Yeah will you get it straight, they already own 2/3 of the auto industry. They have taken over an industry, the auto industry. They have their eyes on the healthcare industry too.

Old 08-09-2009, 08:56 PM

20,303 posts, read 37,255,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXboomerang View Post
All radio is becoming less and less listened to. Why bother turning it on? I hate commercials, I will pay to avoid them, which is why I listen to Pandora radio, have an MP3 player, use cd's in my car, and do not have my tv hooked up to cable at all, we just buy dvd's to watch.
On the contrary. Radio is listened to each day a lot more than years ago by drivers, and people doing manual work all over the nation. One of the reasons why there are more people listening to radio is because there are more people all around than years ago.

I listen to AM radio, usually talk shows, when I work. Sometimes I listen to the music on my iPod at work, and also to the iPod or CD's when I drive. But music alone bores me, because listening to a talk show host and the callers is more mentally engaging. Of course, when driving for long periods I prefer music, but not so when working.

I imagine that new generations of Americans will be listening more to the music in their MP3's than to talk radio, but that will take some time to happen since most working adults (a little older people) listen to radio, too.

Old 08-09-2009, 09:00 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,969,661 times
Scince they domiate the air they are not losing mney. its really harder to make any money on a liberal talk show because of lack of listeners really as shows come and go. its like Fox whch makes the competition look like small potatoes.

Old 08-09-2009, 09:04 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,643,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
On the contrary. Radio is listened to each day a lot more than years ago by drivers, and people doing manual work all over the nation. One of the reasons why there are more people listening to radio is because there are more people all around than years ago.

I listen to AM radio, usually talk shows, when I work. Sometimes I listen to the music on my iPod at work, and also to the iPod or CD's when I drive. But music alone bores me, because listening to a talk show host and the callers is more mentally engaging. Of course, when driving for long periods I prefer music, but not so when working.

I imagine that new generations of Americans will be listening more to the music in their MP3's than to talk radio, but that will take some time to happen since most working adults (a little older people) listen to radio, too.
Hmmm, I wouldn't mind seeing some stats because I am not sure. I would think the percentage of listeners is going down, but the total number might be going up simply due to population growth.

I just know that I have a lot of friends, co-workers, etc that do not care for radio anymore. They would much rather be their own dj by use of cd's, mp3's, or at least have commercial free music like Pandora, Slacker, or XM/Sirius. XM/Sirius is in the most trouble right now though because portable versions of Slacker and Pandora are going to make them obsolete.

As far as talk shows and dj's, that ruins music for me. I cancelled my XM subscription because I got sick of the dj's always chiming in and talking about things that I did not care about. I guess everybody is different though, some like listening to dj's.

Old 08-09-2009, 09:09 PM

4,145 posts, read 10,439,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Do you realize that when you recited "a government that's trying to take over industries" you proved that you're a victim of right wing radio propaganda?
Because I don't buy into your distorted view of reality? Because I don't agree with you on the state of our government, it must be propaganda, right?

I didn't agree with Bush giving the banks money. I don't agree with Obama buying government stakes into the health care, banking and auto industries, and I think anyone that does support it is a fool.

But that's pretty typical...can't argue, try to attack and discredit.

Old 08-09-2009, 09:16 PM

20,303 posts, read 37,255,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXboomerang View Post
Hmmm, I wouldn't mind seeing some stats because I am not sure. I would think the percentage of listeners is going down, but the total number might be going up simply due to population growth.

I just know that I have a lot of friends, co-workers, etc that do not care for radio anymore. They would much rather be their own dj by use of cd's, mp3's, or at least have commercial free music like Pandora, Slacker, or XM/Sirius. XM/Sirius is in the most trouble right now though because portable versions of Slacker and Pandora are going to make them obsolete.

As far as talk shows and dj's, that ruins music for me. I cancelled my XM subscription because I got sick of the dj's always chiming in and talking about things that I did not care about. I guess everybody is different though, some like listening to dj's.
Well, I don't think that there are reliable statistics on radio listenership. In relation to my own experiences at work, more coworkers listen to AM radio now than years prior. Music cannot be as engaging as an interesting conversation on radio while one is at work, but it's possible that new generations of Americans will find music more engaging than human conversations or dialogs.

Old 08-09-2009, 09:47 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,643,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Well, I don't think that there are reliable statistics on radio listenership. In relation to my own experiences at work, more coworkers listen to AM radio now than years prior. Music cannot be as engaging as an interesting conversation on radio while one is at work, but it's possible that new generations of Americans will find music more engaging than human conversations or dialogs.
I guess for me one of the reasons I don't care for commercials, dj's, or talk show host on radio is because I spend on average 6-8 hours per day conversing with clients. When I get in my car, most of the time I want a break! I will occasionally listen to AM local talk shows in the morning, but once I have visited one or 2 clients, I am ready to hear music in between clients.

Old 08-09-2009, 09:49 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,447,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimw144 View Post
Just wondering if right wing radio is getting the boot elsewhere in the country. In MN. One right wing station fired their right wing goons and put on moderates. One left winger was even put on to anchor their morning show. The FM 50,000 watt flagship of clear channel that boosts Limbaugh Beck and Hannity no longer has talk radio on the weekend.

I am wondering where you got the impression that "right wing" radio is loosing money?

Old 08-09-2009, 10:24 PM

2,522 posts, read 4,399,024 times
It's Minnesota, enough said.
Maybe he's not good enough, he's not smart enough, and doggone it, people don't like him!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies