Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 09:52 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,563,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Really? And just who can we trust to enact 'change'? Lets face it - politicians have an enormous sense of entitlement and elitism (not intellectual sadly, rather elitism in that there are rules for the them and then there are rules for hoi polloi)

2010 isn't going to change that - an 'R' in front of someones name isn't going to change the culture of political corruption we currently have. I am disgusted by them all - Rs and Ds alike. They are all parasites ready and willing to feed on the public.

This story is a good example of that and of how they (the politicians) have successfully polarized Americans. A few years ago the Dems would be yelling about this with the Reps silent, and now that a Dem is in charge it is the opposite. We are all clearly f'd as long as we allow our leaders to manipulate us in this way and refuse to hold anyone on 'our side' accountable.
There are a few good politicians out there. We need to elect more of those types - regardless of which side they're on.

But I agree with you that it's going to be very hard to end the corruption.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2009, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
"Mr. Baird, a certified scuba diver, said he went on two shallow reef dives with scientists. Rep. Loretta Sanchez, a California Democrat, said she preferred to snorkel"

Incredible

Old 08-08-2009, 09:58 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,959,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Really? And just who can we trust to enact 'change'? Lets face it - politicians have an enormous sense of entitlement and elitism (not intellectual sadly, rather elitism in that there are rules for the them and then there are rules for hoi polloi)

2010 isn't going to change that - an 'R' in front of someones name isn't going to change the culture of political corruption we currently have. I am disgusted by them all - Rs and Ds alike. They are all parasites ready and willing to feed on the public.

This story is a good example of that and of how they (the politicians) have successfully polarized Americans. A few years ago the Dems would be yelling about this with the Reps silent, and now that a Dem is in charge it is the opposite. We are all clearly f'd as long as we allow our leaders to manipulate us in this way and refuse to hold anyone on 'our side' accountable.
I think you're 100% right..party doesn't matter as corruption and greed is bi-partisan and corporations have no loyalty to parties.

Term limits, lobbying becomes illegal, cap on campaign contributions are among some things which might help.

But the changes I mentioned can only be done by the very people that live off them so that becomes a mute point, doesn't it ?

Old 08-08-2009, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I think you're 100% right..party doesn't matter as corruption and greed is bi-partisan and corporations have no loyalty to parties.

Term limits, lobbying becomes illegal, cap on campaign contributions are among some things which might help.

But the changes I mentioned can only be done by the very people that live off them so that becomes a mute point, doesn't it ?
Well - we could get at least a few of them to agree with us and introduce this sort of legislation. Then, we could vote out any of them who vote against it.

That would be easier said than done, yes, but we theoretically could.

Old 08-08-2009, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Well - we could get at least a few of them to agree with us and introduce this sort of legislation. Then, we could vote out any of them who vote against it.

That would be easier said than done, yes, but we theoretically could.
Vote them out sounds good but people have short term memories.
Too many who voted for that banker bailout bill last year got re-elected.
One even made it into the White House even though his voting record did not reflect his campaign promises.

Old 08-08-2009, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Vote them out sounds good but people have short term memories.
Too many who voted for that banker bailout bill last year got re-elected.
One even made it into the White House even though his voting record did not reflect his campaign promises.
True.

My rep voted for it and was actually a major player in shaping it, but she did work to get it reduced. Yes, I voted for her re-election in November. At least she did it halfway right.

Last edited by afoigrokerkok; 08-08-2009 at 10:29 AM..

Old 08-08-2009, 10:19 AM

10,854 posts, read 15,025,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
Must be nice to be a politician these days. Both sides need to all be canned and bring in some fresh people.
But they are are leaders. The annointed ones, the special ones, those that are better then were mortals who trudge to work every day to pay taxes.

Why look at the Obama family. Family trips to Paris with Sunday shopping at all the trendy stores and this weekend a little side trip with the kids to Yellowstaone and the Grand Canyon all courtesy of we who pay taxes.

I am sick of the whole lot, all of them need to be canned.

Old 08-08-2009, 11:57 AM

Congress's Travel Tab Swells - WSJ.com

Old 08-08-2009, 01:40 PM

8,994 posts, read 14,853,679 times
I was pretty disgusted to see one of the Blue Dog Democrats who claims to be SUCH a fiscal Conservative on the list of senators who basically used taxpayer dollars to jetset with his wife. Digusting.

I hope his constituents vote his ass out of office.

His name is Mike Ross, BTW.

Old 08-08-2009, 01:45 PM

The only one I would vote to keep there is Ron Paul. He behaves the way he speaks and he's not afraid to ask hard questions. I am amazed though that Congress hasn't tried to squash his speaking time. I do enjoy when he grills Bernake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies