Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 01:57 PM

3,124 posts, read 4,941,943 times

Advertisements

You're letting the Catholics, Mormon's, and other religious groups dictate what should be allowed for civil marriage. I wonder who they'll go after next? No non-religious marriage in America? Only Catholic marriage in America? Only Mormon marriage?

America, you are playing a dangerous game letting religious groups set your civil policies. Even if you are religious, you are letting religions that you disagree with make laws that apply to you. Sure, you may agree with them on same gender marriage, but what about when they come after your rights?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2009, 01:59 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,308,719 times
This all reminds me of The Handmaid's Tale.
The premise is too similar to what is occurring.

Old 07-19-2009, 02:14 PM

6,183 posts, read 6,084,218 times
I have an idea: any church that tries to influence its perishoners votes loses its tax exempt status. Simple as that. If you want to be a legitimate nonpartisan church, so be it, just don't try to influence people on a governmental level. If you do, you lose your tax exempt status.

Old 07-19-2009, 02:24 PM

"Let the majority decide" "It's what God says is right"

Can you imagine what these same people would say if Rhode Island voted to only allow and recognize Catholic marriage? Oh the grief that would be cried about persecution and wrong doing!

Old 07-19-2009, 04:08 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,283,482 times
I say let the religious define "marriage". Let them accept or deny anyone. There are a lot of churches and if someone really feels they need a "marriage" they will find one. (vision of a block with drivethru marriage boots and signs which say "we take gays" or "we do multiples"

Thing is it is a social thing. So you can be culturally married. You could even be culturally marries to more than one. But it is not a legal union without a civil certificate.

A civil certificate grants two non-biologically related adults a civil union. This includes ALL the rights and responsibilities of what we call marriage. If this is what you want, to give legal protections, then your good. If you want a culturally based marriage, find a church.

Its NOT the responsibility of churches and religions to define the norm of culture for everyone. Its the duty of the state to provide a legal arraingement that grants the rights of a civilly defined union, but not to tell religions what they can choose to accept. Lets seperate church and state again as our forfathers warned us was the only wise way.

Do I distrust these interests and their eventualy intent? Oh yeah. I'm wiccan and we'd be the first to go.

Old 07-19-2009, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I say let the religious define "marriage". Let them accept or deny anyone. There are a lot of churches and if someone really feels they need a "marriage" they will find one. (vision of a block with drivethru marriage boots and signs which say "we take gays" or "we do multiples"

Thing is it is a social thing. So you can be culturally married. You could even be culturally marries to more than one. But it is not a legal union without a civil certificate.

A civil certificate grants two non-biologically related adults a civil union. This includes ALL the rights and responsibilities of what we call marriage. If this is what you want, to give legal protections, then your good. If you want a culturally based marriage, find a church.

Its NOT the responsibility of churches and religions to define the norm of culture for everyone. Its the duty of the state to provide a legal arraingement that grants the rights of a civilly defined union, but not to tell religions what they can choose to accept. Lets seperate church and state again as our forfathers warned us was the only wise way.

Do I distrust these interests and their eventualy intent? Oh yeah. I'm wiccan and we'd be the first to go.
Very well said! I agree 100%.

Your last statement: Correct. They start with the easiest group to attack first and will consolidate power from there.

Old 07-19-2009, 04:39 PM

17,403 posts, read 11,995,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twista6002 View Post
I have an idea: any church that tries to influence its perishoners votes loses its tax exempt status. Simple as that. If you want to be a legitimate nonpartisan church, so be it, just don't try to influence people on a governmental level. If you do, you lose your tax exempt status.
Agreed, as long as it applies to non-profits, also, such as ACORN.

Old 07-19-2009, 04:41 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,339,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel and The Dolphin View Post
"Let the majority decide" "It's what God says is right"

Can you imagine what these same people would say if Rhode Island voted to only allow and recognize Catholic marriage? Oh the grief that would be cried about persecution and wrong doing!
Religion owns the word, "marriage".

Give unto Caesar what is Caesar's and . .

Government adopted the word, "marriage, but doesn't own it.

Give unto Government, "Civil Unions", if you want, but leave marriage out of Government hands.

Old 07-19-2009, 04:45 PM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,848,866 times
this isn't rocket science. religion controls the right, and eco terrorism controls the left.

Old 07-19-2009, 04:50 PM

5,041 posts, read 6,223,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twista6002 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Agreed, as long as it applies to non-profits, also, such as ACORN.
This is already the law. And ACORN, for one, follows it. Unfortunately, many right-wing fundamentalist churches violate the law. Some are under investigation, but the government is reluctant to prosecute (and that's probably a good thing).

Given that the C-Street house that has come under scrutiny after the Ensign/Sanford/? scandals is a "church" and is also tax-free, I would hope that we can open a serious discussion about removing the tax-exempt status for churches altogether.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies