Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 04:53 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,255,020 times

Advertisements

Marraiges are non religious when performed by a Justice of the Peace, regardless of what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas. Should one choose to involve a church in a public display it becomes a religious undertaking.

I'm all for civil unions for any two consenting adults. I'm opposed to any official function that involves any form of religion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2009, 04:55 PM

48,493 posts, read 97,141,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel and The Dolphin View Post
You're letting the Catholics, Mormon's, and other religious groups dictate what should be allowed for civil marriage. I wonder who they'll go after next? No non-religious marriage in America? Only Catholic marriage in America? Only Mormon marriage?

America, you are playing a dangerous game letting religious groups set your civil policies. Even if you are religious, you are letting religions that you disagree with make laws that apply to you. Sure, you may agree with them on same gender marriage, but what about when they come after your rights?
Youneed to loo again 'look at the califrnia vote;it ws just relgion that said no to same sex marraige. I fact people have rejected it thru out our history.The only change is in a few small states.

Old 07-19-2009, 05:02 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,621,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
Religion owns the word, "marriage".

Give unto Caesar what is Caesar's and . .

Government adopted the word, "marriage, but doesn't own it.

Give unto Government, "Civil Unions", if you want, but leave marriage out of Government hands.
Precisely! I've long advocated that and I'm one of those scurvy Catholics. I also happen to have a lesbian daughter who relatively recently came out to me, but long after I developed my take on all this.

Old 07-19-2009, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twista6002 View Post
I have an idea: any church that tries to influence its perishoners votes loses its tax exempt status. Simple as that. If you want to be a legitimate nonpartisan church, so be it, just don't try to influence people on a governmental level. If you do, you lose your tax exempt status.
Religion by its very nature, its canons, scriptures and moral teachings influences its parishoners.

We also have this little issue of freedom of speech in this country -- at least we did before political correctness crept in from port!

Old 07-19-2009, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel and The Dolphin View Post
You're letting the Catholics, Mormon's, and other religious groups dictate what should be allowed for civil marriage. I wonder who they'll go after next? No non-religious marriage in America? Only Catholic marriage in America? Only Mormon marriage?
And there it is, my friends. The beginning of the next holy war. Come one. Come all. Get your tickets to watch the Christians being fed to the lions. Sure to dazzle and amaze. A sight not to be missed! Credit cards accepted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalsay View Post
this isn't rocket science. religion controls the right, and eco terrorism controls the left.
This is funny. Actually, Catholics and Jews generally align with the left. It helps to think before one posts, don't you....ummm....think?

Old 07-19-2009, 05:13 PM

3,124 posts, read 4,954,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
And there it is, my friends. The beginning of the next holy war. Come one. Come all. Get your tickets to watch the Christians being fed to the lions. Sure to dazzle and amaze. A sight not to be missed! Credit cards accepted.

This is funny. Actually, Catholics and Jews generally align with the left. It helps to think before one posts, don't you....ummm....think?
We're feeding Christians to the lions because I don't want churches making civil laws? I'm Episcopalian, btw, so I am by no means 'antichristian'. I really don't care if the Catholics won't admit a gay person or perform marriages for gay people. However, i don't want them codifying that in law; just like I don't want the Evangelicals to codify Baptism By Immersion in law.

Old 07-19-2009, 05:54 PM

90,295 posts, read 121,186,707 times
What laws are you talking about? Did I miss something here? You can get married by a JP, or in Colorado by anyone at all. In a church wedding, a legal marriage certificate is signed. The legal laws of marriage are defined by the law, not by the church.

If we are talking about Civil Unions as a sort of code word for gay marriage, by all means, legalize them. What do you mean the Catholics and Mormons are trying to influence them? I know the Mormon church stuck itself into Prop. 8, but the people of California still voted on it, and passed it.

Old 07-19-2009, 09:25 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,603,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
Religion owns the word, "marriage".

Give unto Caesar what is Caesar's and . .

Government adopted the word, "marriage, but doesn't own it.

Give unto Government, "Civil Unions", if you want, but leave marriage out of Government hands.
I need to see the churches copyright; patent or trademark to prove they "own" the word "marriage"!

Old 07-19-2009, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalsay View Post
this isn't rocket science. religion controls the right, and eco terrorism controls the left.
You're lucky it's not rocket science, otherwise......

Old 07-19-2009, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Youneed to loo again 'look at the califrnia vote;it ws just relgion that said no to same sex marraige. I fact people have rejected it thru out our history.The only change is in a few small states.
And a few large Countries!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies