Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 08:20 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,929,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickeldude View Post
I don't know, I've never been on welfare. Seems like if you can lead a happy life on the peanuts they give you for free, only ego or ambition is stopping you. Keep us updated on your welfare experiment.
Well...there is also cash only sales and working for trade....

Half the eligible people in this country do not pay income taxes anymore,there is something truly wrong with that.

To keep plugging away paying in simply because it is what you are supposed to do strikes me as foolish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 08:28 AM

1,233 posts, read 1,418,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Well...there is also cash only sales and working for trade....

Half the eligible people in this country do not pay income taxes anymore,there is something truly wrong with that.

To keep plugging away paying in simply because it is what you are supposed to do strikes me as foolish.
I try not to over analyze things. I figure I got a job, it pays me more than I need even after my taxes miraculously disappear from my paycheck. If I was somehow being oppressed into giving money or forced to give more than I could afford, it would become an issue for me. But for now I just figure I pay my small dues so that if my house catches on fire, the firemen will be there to put it out, or if I'm robbed, cops catch the bad guys.

I just try to keep it simple, worrying about things out of my control seems pointless.

Old 07-10-2009, 03:31 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,277,307 times
Quote:
LOL....I have felt this way for a long time,when half of the people pay nothing in federal taxes what is the point in continuing to be one of the fools who does??
this is the second claim in this thread that 50% of US workers dont pay federal or state income taxes. Link to this please?

Old 07-10-2009, 03:35 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,368,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickeldude View Post
Livin off the fat of the land, you got the right idea. I'm a supporter of Obama and all, but I still think finding a place where no government could reach me would be the best option possible. Australia is good for that, so many small villages and such. If this recession doesn't clear up in the not too distant future, hey its a thought for all of us!
There's no place on earth for you then.
Australia is no different.
My best buddy lives there and they have as much government as we do.

Old 07-10-2009, 04:07 AM

1,664 posts, read 2,307,552 times
"They would be viewed as nut-cases, scofflaws and terrorists,
despicable criminals and malcontents. They would be scorned as the
scum of the earth, despised by just about everyone who today
celebrates Independence Day."

Yep. Today they would be considered terrorists. Today they would be disappeared into Gitmo indefinitely with no charges, no lawyers, no contact with anyone.

- Reel

Old 07-10-2009, 05:47 AM

1,375 posts, read 2,393,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
"They would be viewed as nut-cases, scofflaws and terrorists, despicable criminals and malcontents."

This sums up liberal rationale precisely. Anytime anyone stands up to their government, they are labled as such right here in this forum. The tea party movement and the constant denigrating of these people by the liberal left is a perfect example.
To the left your not just someone that disagrees, your a heretic. And if you dare criticize The Obama your a blasphemer. Your not only wrong your a sinner. They may have 'killed' God, but not the human need for him.

Old 07-10-2009, 05:50 AM

1,375 posts, read 2,393,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
this is the second claim in this thread that 50% of US workers dont pay federal or state income taxes. Link to this please?
Here is your link.
Google.

Old 07-10-2009, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Well it isn't quite 50% but the number is close enough.

And it is not US workers but tax filers who have zero liability or end up being 'owed' money back by the fedgov.

This is from 2005.
The Tax Foundation - Number of Americans Outside the Income Tax System Continues to Grow

Old 07-10-2009, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
There's no place on earth for you then.
Australia is no different.
My best buddy lives there and they have as much government as we do.
Actually you could live off the land there...there are areas that have no government taxation due to there being in essence no government services of any kind...

But you can find the same thing in the USA still.

Or you can work the system and get paid by the government to be po'.

Old 07-10-2009, 08:44 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,428,020 times
Quote:
Well it isn't quite 50% but the number is close enough.

And it is not US workers but tax filers who have zero liability or end up being 'owed' money back by the fedgov.

This is from 2005.
The Tax Foundation - Number of Americans Outside the Income Tax System Continues to Grow
First of all (as you mention) it's NOT 50% - less than 1/3rd actually. Secondly - how many of those folks are minors or students working part time? According to the article a bit over 35% OF THOSE are either minors or under the age of 24. How many of those are college students working part time as they got to school? Rremember, even minors have to file tax returns if they work. Is it any surprise such people don't make enough money to pay income tax? I know I didn't when I was attending school.

On top of that 35%, there is another 15% that are over 55. How many of those are of retirement age? The article doesn't specify - but there are clearly quite a few old folks who are retired and living on pretty limited income. I don't know about you, but I'm not surprised that a lot of minors, part-time college students and old folks don't pay income tax - they simply don't have the time (or in the case of the old folks) physical stamina to work enough hours (at jobs that pay very high) to make enough money to pay taxes. Sounds perfectly understandable and acceptable to me.

So, of your 1/3 of Americans (again, not HALF as you first claimed) not paying taxes roughly 1/2 are potentially minors (or students) or are retired (and likely living on limited income). So now you are down to as low as 1/6th of Americans who are able-bodied non-student adults who for one reason or another don't make enough money to qualify as taxpayers - at least Federal Income Tax, they still pay sales taxes etc at the local level. Of those I would guess that a pretty sizeable percentage are single mothers with young children.

1/6th is a FAR CRY from your ONE HALF claim. Furthermore, while it IS a valid question to ask "Why are these able-bodied Americans not paying taxes?" it's also just as valid to ask "Why are these folks making so little money?" I mean, let's face it - anyone make less than $20,000 a year (as 90% of none-taxpaying folks are) is pretty darned poor. - especially if they are living in an urban area (rather than a small town) where costs for rent/food/utilities is pretty darned high.

Ken
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies