Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 06:05 PM

7,788 posts, read 8,034,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
why does anyone really care about this crap .why is it some sort of personal crusade wether someone has a smoke or a drink. its really none of your business.go live your own life and leave everyone elses alone.i know it will be hard at first but you will get used to it.
just bumped myself but strictly for your pleasure no need to thank me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2009, 10:39 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,544,430 times
When my parents quit smoking back in the early 80s they did it together. What shocked us all was the wall paper. After some time had passed of no smoking in the house we began to notice streaks appearing on the wall paper. We don't know if it was the tar or niccotine or both but it was very slowly running down our wallpaper in brown streaks. Ended up having to change all the wall paper. They even had to sell their car because at that time there was nothing they could do to get rid of the smell. My aunt and uncle had recently quit smoking thanks to a heart attack and blood clots that cost my uncle half his right leg and half his left foot. They were nearly up to 4 packs a day each. We once caught my aunt with a lit cigarette in the ashtray, lit cigarette in her mouth, and was reaching to light another cigarette when we pointed out the other two.

Old 06-13-2009, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
When my parents quit smoking back in the early 80s they did it together. What shocked us all was the wall paper. After some time had passed of no smoking in the house we began to notice streaks appearing on the wall paper. We don't know if it was the tar or niccotine or both but it was very slowly running down our wallpaper in brown streaks. Ended up having to change all the wall paper. They even had to sell their car because at that time there was nothing they could do to get rid of the smell. My aunt and uncle had recently quit smoking thanks to a heart attack and blood clots that cost my uncle half his right leg and half his left foot. They were nearly up to 4 packs a day each. We once caught my aunt with a lit cigarette in the ashtray, lit cigarette in her mouth, and was reaching to light another cigarette when we pointed out the other two.
now comon ive smoked and drank indozens of 100 year old places in co with origional wallpaper and woodwork.that just dont happen.my house was built in 1896 and still has origional paper in places.no brown streaks at all.the origional familly all smoked and so do i. must be something else i think i know what but i dont want to embarass anyone

Old 06-13-2009, 11:22 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
Quote:
now comon ive smoked and drank indozens of 100 year old places in co with origional wallpaper and woodwork.that just dont happen.my house was built in 1896 and still has origional paper in places.no brown streaks at all.the origional familly all smoked and so do i. must be something else i think i know what but i dont want to embarass anyone
Oh, yes it does happen. Our first apt. had that streaking, too. Remember sailordave said it happened after the people quit. We didn't smoke in the apt. The streaks came down from the ceiling. No one was peeing on the ceiling!

Old 06-13-2009, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Didn't know they had vinyl wallpaper 100 years ago. I always thought that the wallpaper from 100 years ago was a cloth type fabric or fiberous paper.

Old 06-13-2009, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Oh, yes it does happen. Our first apt. had that streaking, too. Remember sailordave said it happened after the people quit. We didn't smoke in the apt. The streaks came down from the ceiling. No one was peeing on the ceiling!
It probably had some sort of latex paint.

Old 06-13-2009, 11:27 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
That and wallpaper.

Old 06-13-2009, 11:32 PM

We learned the hard way you just don't paint over that stuff. You either scrub it off (latex paint) or you remove the old wallpaper before putting up new wallpaper or paint. Nasty stuff.

Old 06-14-2009, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Didn't know they had vinyl wallpaper 100 years ago. I always thought that the wallpaper from 100 years ago was a cloth type fabric or fiberous paper.
they didn't it is more like a light canvas cloth very un like that cheap vinyl crap they call wallpaper today.it actuallybreathes thats why old houses can out live new houses they breath. vynyl is a total plastic barrior so i dont really see how smoke could affect it in the way you suggest.i have studied building science for over 38 years as it is my profession and can not see how this condition you claim can exist.tobacoo smoke will accumulate on walls and cielings and dis color the finish but not to the point of your brown streaks.never seen that before

Old 06-14-2009, 12:14 AM

Fabric absorbs the smoke, tar, and niccotine. Vinyl wallpaper and latex paint forms a barrier. The material from the cigarette smoke adheres to the surface of the latex/vinyl but is not absorbed into and under the material. Daily smoking maintains the level of tar and niccotine on the surface of the walls and ceiling. However, once the smoking has stopped over an extended period of time it begins to ooze down the walls. It's really disgusting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies