Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 10:34 AM
ttz

677 posts, read 1,668,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
this is about Hollywood movies and cigarettes

The funny thing is Hollywood usually uses herbal cigarettes when they make movies. These cigs look just like the real deal but there is no Nicotine in them. Funny huh?

But with that said, I have seen a dramatic decrease in smoking in movies over the years. Not as bad as it once was. Some movies do not show even 1 cigarette in them...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2009, 10:39 AM

3,153 posts, read 3,597,789 times
The funny part about this whole thing is that Obama is a smoker. If it was Bush or Cheney, the left loons would be screaming about what a bunch of hipocrites they are, how they are setting a bad example for our youth, yada..yada..yada. Don't hear anything about BHO...BUELLER?? BUELLER?? ANYONE??

Old 06-30-2009, 11:50 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,040,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
just bumped myself but strictly for your pleasure no need to thank me
As long as smokers can keep their filthy smoke away from my lungs and as long as folks stop mixing alcohol and driving, I would have no issues with either cigarettes and alcohol.

Old 06-30-2009, 03:37 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,549,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
That's like trying to regulate alcohol by decreasing the proof of a bottle of liquor. The alcoholic will just drink two bottles instead of one. Smokers vary in their consumption quite a bit, if you ask any long term smoker they will most likely tell you their habit has pretty much remained level over many years. Decreasing the amount of nicotine *may* help prevent new smokers from becoming addicted at most. It may actually be harmful for those already smoking as I think they would just increase the consumption.
I totally agree....another way to rip off mainly lower socio-economic groups and will increase consumption for people who already do smoke...Funny how our forefathers helped begin our nation with tobacco and hemp production....and people say we have made progress as a civilization....only in some ways ....

Old 06-30-2009, 03:52 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,340,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
As long as smokers can keep their filthy smoke away from my lungs and as long as folks stop mixing alcohol and driving, I would have no issues with either cigarettes and alcohol.
Then you wouldn't mind an appropriately aged cannabis chateaux?

Old 06-30-2009, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
Then you wouldn't mind an appropriately aged cannabis chateaux?
And how do you jump to this conclusion??? I think cannabis should continue to be illegal.

Old 06-30-2009, 03:57 PM

Quote:
And how do you jump to this conclusion??? I think cannabis should continue to be illegal.
Even if Monsanto diced and spliced a few genes and patented it?

Old 06-30-2009, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
Even if Monsanto diced and spliced a few genes and patented it?
Sorry but dunno who Monsanto is and the relevance to the subject at hand.

Old 06-30-2009, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Sorry but dunno who Monsanto is and the relevance to the subject at hand.
Monsanta leads (perverts) the world in CREATING (Biblical?) Genetically Modified (GM) plants and then patents them.

Tobacco is a plant that is heavily taxed.

Many folks want cannabis legalized, so that it too can be heavily taxed.

Folks smoke both of these plants.

But a very fine wine can be made from cannabis.

Old 06-30-2009, 04:29 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,752,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
That's like trying to regulate alcohol by decreasing the proof of a bottle of liquor. The alcoholic will just drink two bottles instead of one. Smokers vary in their consumption quite a bit, if you ask any long term smoker they will most likely tell you their habit has pretty much remained level over many years. Decreasing the amount of nicotine *may* help prevent new smokers from becoming addicted at most. It may actually be harmful for those already smoking as I think they would just increase the consumption.
Nicotine was discussed in one of my bio courses years back. The tobacco companies have done research into how long it takes for nicotine (upon first draw) to enter the smoker's bloodstream and travel up to the dopamine receptors in the brain. Next they factor in how long those receptors send the 'pleasure' response created by the nicotine uptake for the duration of the one cigarette. The bottom line was that a cigarette pack constitutes a day's dosage for the average smoker.

Reducing the amount of nicotine per cigarette will not prevent new smokers from becoming addicted; as long as nicotine reaches the dopamine receptors in the brain, there will be a pleasure response, leaving the body wanting more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies