Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 10:41 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,387,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanhouse View Post
I will venture to say you believe in the 9/11 comspiracies
Yes, but not the theory put out by the Government - that one is laughable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2009, 10:44 AM

5,165 posts, read 6,075,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
Yes, but not the theory put out by the Government - that one is laughable.
There is no doubt there is alot more to it then we are told.

Old 06-04-2009, 11:29 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,300,715 times
No one has an opinion about the speech in Cairo?

Old 06-04-2009, 12:13 PM

18,545 posts, read 19,196,728 times
I liked it quite a bit. it was interesting to hear the applause, when it came and when it was silent. he made a call for peace to the younger generation. the "seeds" of peace were heard today by average people all over that part of the world. he addressed "our" common ideals in religious freedoms. he spoke of tollerance for others and the need to live in peace. he addressed women's rights, he said daughter's were as much a part of the future as sons. he said we stood solidly behind Israel, called on them to stop expanding. he addressed Palestine's has a right to be. he gave a date for our troops to get out of Iraq. he expressed the need for all people to reach for the goals of harmony and peace. the radical will not like his words and I am sure they won't like the effect his words of freedom will have on the moderates of the middle east.

Old 06-04-2009, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
I liked it quite a bit. it was interesting to hear the applause, when it came and when it was silent. he made a call for peace to the younger generation. the "seeds" of peace were heard today by average people all over that part of the world. he addressed "our" common ideals in religious freedoms. he spoke of tollerance for others and the need to live in peace. he addressed women's rights, he said daughter's were as much a part of the future as sons. he said we stood solidly behind Israel, called on them to stop expanding. he addressed Palestine's has a right to be. he gave a date for our troops to get out of Iraq. he expressed the need for all people to reach for the goals of harmony and peace. the radical will not like his words and I am sure they won't like the effect his words of freedom will have on the moderates of the middle east.
I agree about the applause! Tough room.

Great summary. I hope it helps start to marginalize the radicals...makes people actually think over there....here too.

Old 06-04-2009, 01:12 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,950,613 times
Quote:
Does he understand that America does not need to have any presence in the middle east? If oil is the reason why we are there does he not understand OPEC nations maybe more willing to do legitimate business with the U.S. if we did not act like an empire?
You're 56 years too late. It usually takes longer to fix a mess than to create it. Let us hope that decades worth of stupidity on the part of the politicians (and ignorant electorate) will take only a few years to fix. It certainly can't happen overnight, or even in months. Obama is on the right track.

Old 06-04-2009, 02:45 PM

41,325 posts, read 45,109,006 times
Barack Obama draws tough crowd in Cairo - Roger Simon - POLITICO.com
Reaction to Obama's speech to the Muslim world - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090604/ap_on_re_mi_ea/obama_muslims_quote_box - broken link)

Have the tides slowed and the planet healed yet?

Old 06-04-2009, 02:49 PM

5,165 posts, read 6,075,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
You're 56 years too late. It usually takes longer to fix a mess than to create it. Let us hope that decades worth of stupidity on the part of the politicians (and ignorant electorate) will take only a few years to fix. It certainly can't happen overnight, or even in months. Obama is on the right track.
I hope you are right but the President can only do so much. Unfortunately there are more powerful people pulling the strings.

Old 06-04-2009, 09:34 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,142,646 times
Quote:
In the 1980s America was a staunch supporter of the Taliban and OBL in their effort to free their lands from the Soviet empire. We gave weapons, intelligence and supplies to fight off the Soviet invaders. The target of OBL's and the Taliban's hatred was directed at an empire that had invaded their land. The violent extremists President Obama speaks of are violent toward those they view as invaders. They were not killing innocent Americans when we were helping them against the USSR.

When rhetoric is spewed such as “We would gladly bring every single one of our troops home if we could be confident that there were not violent extremists in Afghanistan and Pakistan determined to kill as many Americans as they possibly can. But that is not yet the case."
One should consider what is making these extremists violent in the first place. We are not dealing with psychopath serial killers. These are trained, programmed soldiers who believe their lands have been taken over by infidels without provocation. It was the same situation 30 years ago only it was the USSR their violence and anger was rightly directed at.
Is it invalid to compare the United States invasions of Iraq and Afghanistan and previous to that establishing military bases in Saudi Arabia, to the events that happened on the same land in 1978-9?

While President Obama's speech has the intention of laying the foundations of hope and peace it seems to me he does not understand that America having an empirical spread in the Middle East is what is inciting radical Islam to violence. He wants to bring the troops home but cannot because there are violent extremists who want to kill Americans. It is time to question why Americans are their current target.

I'm not saying that I necessarily disagree with you but I am curious as to what you think our reaction should have been to 911? Not the Iraq War part, I'm sure most thoughtful people clearly understand that was a tragic undertaking brought about by power hungry men. But if we did not respond to the OBL with immediate retaliation, then what should our response have been?

Old 06-05-2009, 04:53 PM

This is a good mature take on the speech.

After deluge of rhetorics, actions needed_English_Xinhua
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies