Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 11:35 AM

1,364 posts, read 1,936,976 times

Advertisements

What are other folks are seeing in their communitys everday that appear to indicate the US is heading towards a depression?
No matter what the media labels it, the start of a Depression is what appears to be happening.
In my area, we're seeing cars with 'For Sale' signs lining street corners.
Craigslist has lots more activity. Muscle car prices are dropping fast there.
Lots of homes for sale...no buyers.
Even more foreclosures. Governer just passed law to extend to 90 days the delinquency period of home owners
Our states Food Stamp system is being overburdened to the point of not being able to provide the service.
More migrant workers hanging out in town.
Increase in pan-handlers
Friends losing jobs.

What are you seeing in your city?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2009, 11:47 AM

5,165 posts, read 6,075,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amerifree View Post
What are other folks are seeing in their communitys everday that appear to indicate the US is heading towards a depression?
No matter what the media labels it, the start of a Depression is what appears to be happening.
In my area, we're seeing cars with 'For Sale' signs lining street corners.
Craigslist has lots more activity. Muscle car prices are dropping fast there.
Lots of homes for sale...no buyers.
Even more foreclosures. Governer just passed law to extend to 90 days the delinquency period of home owners
Our states Food Stamp system is being overburdened to the point of not being able to provide the service.
More migrant workers hanging out in town.
Increase in pan-handlers
Friends losing jobs.

What are you seeing in your city?
In my neck of the woods it is incredible foreclosures that keep coming and coming. Many of the homes have not even been put on the market yet which means the excess inventory is alot higher then you are told.

It is very hard to see any light right now but it is there.

Old 06-03-2009, 11:56 AM

519 posts, read 691,086 times
I've noticed an increase in RV's, boats, and motorcycles on the market. I'm no economist, but the way I see it, if a family had the means to afford recreational vehicles before and now all of a sudden need cash flow, that means that the current recession is reaching deeper than recessions of past. When folks that generally have disposable income to buy toys are feeling a pinch, that means the core of our country's economy may be at a very critical juncture.

Old 06-03-2009, 12:45 PM

1,350 posts, read 2,310,153 times
Not much here, everyone is still buying and companies are hiring.

Old 06-03-2009, 12:53 PM

5,170 posts, read 11,478,245 times
In our area there are less available jobs, lots of homes for sale that are bank owned or "short sales".

forum rules, please read them

Old 06-03-2009, 01:55 PM

6,218 posts, read 7,767,143 times
Well, here in Lee county Florida, ground zero for foreclosure trouble, unemployment has hit the 16% mark. In the last week I saw for the first time, a cop car, with a code enforcement truck clearing the belongings of a homeless person out of the bushes behind a strip mall on one of the main drags here in Cape Coral.

These things dont get reported in the local media here. I've started carrying my camera with me again, to catch some of these moments.......

Old 06-03-2009, 02:00 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,746,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prytania View Post
Not much here, everyone is still buying and companies are hiring.

Same here. I have noticed a LOT more new cars (still having paper dealer plates on them) including Mercedes, BMWs, large trucks etc etc.

The large companies in my area are doing REALLLLLLY well, despite the 'recession/depression', and both my boyfriends AND best friends companies are posting record profits (and they're both retail businesses).

Costco is still full of people buying big screen tvs and lawn furniture and the restaurants still have waiting times if you go in past 6pm.

Old 06-03-2009, 02:00 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,311,274 times
I noticed in the paper here the Help wanted went from 2-3 pages to being about a page or half a page.

Old 06-03-2009, 02:01 PM

5,165 posts, read 6,075,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Same here. I have noticed a LOT more new cars (still having paper dealer plates on them) including Mercedes, BMWs, large trucks etc etc.

The large companies in my area are doing REALLLLLLY well, despite the 'recession/depression', and both my boyfriends AND best friends companies are posting record profits (and they're both retail businesses).

Costco is still full of people buying big screen tvs and lawn furniture and the restaurants still have waiting times if you go in past 6pm.
it is very different in different regions.

and you mean boyfriend's right?

Old 06-03-2009, 02:03 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,746,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanhouse View Post
it is very different in different regions.

and you mean boyfriend's right?

No, I have several boyfriends.

Yes, it was a typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies