Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 12:32 PM

1,655 posts, read 3,264,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny B. Fury View Post
How is DADT institutionlizing bigotry? So you go around telling everyone you're gay and you don't think that it gives those that find happiness in degrading gays ammunition? What are you guys thinking!? It's obvious you've never shared a tent with 10 other military guys. You're opening the door for harrassment. I do not see why that is hard to understand.
I understand exactly what you're saying... for the sake of the bigots in the military, gay people should not reveal that they are gay. I understand what you're saying but I think it makes no sense because such a rule condones the harrasment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2009, 12:33 PM

519 posts, read 693,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post
This is the silliest, most baffling argument I've ever heard for DADT.

Seriously, it's like advocating face powder instead of ending racism. "If you use a lot of makeup, people won't know that you're black, and then racism will end!"
A gay person can't divulge sexual orientation openly. A person can't ask about that sexual orientation...after all its no-ones business...right? Isn't that the arguement homosexuals like to throw around? So, if homosexuals are able to flaunt their sexuality within the military, the other end of this equation says that those that delight in bigotry have ammunition because they now know who to target. Under DADT - no one has the right to know another's sexuality, and thus bigotry is stifled. Why is that hard to understand? Gays in the military will be subject to more harrassment when DADT is repealed.

Old 06-08-2009, 02:42 AM

1 posts, read 1,012 times
I think there is an important factor being left out of this thread: not all military personnel are deployed or in barracks. For the larger part of the armed forces, who live more civilian-esque lives ASKING and TELLING are not the issue. It's about going to the grocery store or going out to dinner and having to always look over your shoulder or censor what you say because someone from work/base may see you. All it takes is someone reporting "homosexual conduct" to an officer in order for an investigation to begin. There is no "asking" or "telling". The idea is that you are "announcing" who you are through your actions. So, it's not that you are going around telling everyone you are gay, it's that you have to censor yourself in your everyday life. I too believe that in ANY situation (work or otherwise) your sexuality should be a non-issue. It's not something that needs to be announced but, it's misleading to say that DADT is all about a verbalization of your sexuality. It simply is not. Some things to consider: how may times a day you refer to your significant other in conversation? Do you have pictures of them in your workplace? When a co-worker asks, "what are you doing this weekend?" do you include your gf/bf/husband/wife in your reply? How many times do you reach for them in a simple gesture of affection? These are all instances where you would be looking over your shoulder or censoring yourself. It is not about making some loud statement, it's about living a normal everyday life without having to worry that someone is watching. I hope this gives a little more perspective. Thank you for your time.

Old 06-08-2009, 03:06 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,865,748 times
ccc13 is right.

Don't Ask Don't Tell is also a misnomer because all it takes to open an investigation is for one person to say, "My brother saw John at a gay bar last weekend". It is a witch hunt. You don't have to tell anyone that you are gay in order to be fired.

What I really don't understand is why the U.S. military needs this policy while every other modern country allows everyone to serve equally without requiring them to lie about who they are. It's a stupid policy, and to me, it only makes the U.S. look like a bunch of sexually immature fools - as usual.

If people are so uncomfortable with homosexuals, then build separate showers for them. If they can build entire barracks for women, certainly they can figure out a way to let openly gay men and women serve while addressing the concerns of those who are scared of homosexuality.

I guess homosexual panic continues in America. What a bunch of wimps. Seriously.

Old 06-08-2009, 03:43 AM

37 posts, read 56,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
ccc13 is right.

Don't Ask Don't Tell is also a misnomer because all it takes to open an investigation is for one person to say, "My brother saw John at a gay bar last weekend". It is a witch hunt. You don't have to tell anyone that you are gay in order to be fired.

What I really don't understand is why the U.S. military needs this policy while every other modern country allows everyone to serve equally without requiring them to lie about who they are. It's a stupid policy, and to me, it only makes the U.S. look like a bunch of sexually immature fools - as usual.

If people are so uncomfortable with homosexuals, then build separate showers for them. If they can build entire barracks for women, certainly they can figure out a way to let openly gay men and women serve while addressing the concerns of those who are scared of homosexuality.

I guess homosexual panic continues in America. What a bunch of wimps. Seriously.
Actually, when I went through basic in the USAF, females were in the same barracks, but on a different floor. They have been the same ones for a very long time.

I didn't think about the homosexual issues when I was younger. If I had, I would have had a problem being in the same showers as them. In my mind, its like saying men and women can shower together in the military with no problems. Sorry, just my opinion.

Old 06-08-2009, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79Vette View Post
Actually, when I went through basic in the USAF, females were in the same barracks, but on a different floor. They have been the same ones for a very long time.

I didn't think about the homosexual issues when I was younger. If I had, I would have had a problem being in the same showers as them. In my mind, its like saying men and women can shower together in the military with no problems. Sorry, just my opinion.
No need to apologize for your opinion. I'm glad you spoke up.

The biggest issue that seems to come up in this debate is the "shower scene". So why not have a separate shower area for guys and girls who are openly gay? To me, that would be a lot better than requiring them to lie about who they are. That's totally unfair. I'd rather have separate but equal shower stalls than have unfair rules about who can talk about their spouses and significant others and who can not.

Old 06-08-2009, 04:16 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,516,111 times
Quote:
ccc13 is right.

I think DADT is bizarre. In Australia, the ban on Gays serving in the military was lifted 17 years ago in 1992. The Australian Defence Forces even have sexual orientation awareness training.

Fairness and Resolution :: Alternative Resolutions and Equity :: Training :: Australian Government Department of Defence

Old 06-08-2009, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
I think DADT is bizarre. In Australia, the ban on Gays serving in the military was lifted 17 years ago in 1992. The Australian Defence Forces even have sexual orientation awareness training.
Well I hope they have some awareness training for U.S. soldiers. They sure aren't getting it in school. Remember - in America - people panic if their kids read a fictitious story about gay penguins.

Oh - and I love the quiz at the end of one of the modules for the Australian sensitivity training:
Matching - Choose the best term for each of the following definitions.

5. Males and females with a degree of homosexual orientation:

A. Lesbian B. Gay C. Homo- and bisexual

6. Homosexual female:

Understanding Sexual Orientation

Old 06-08-2009, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Well I hope they have some awareness training for U.S. soldiers. They sure aren't getting it in school. Remember - in America - people panic if their kids read a fictitious story about gay penguins.

Oh - and I love the quiz at the end of one of the modules for the Australian sensitivity training:
Matching - Choose the best term for each of the following definitions.

5. Males and females with a degree of homosexual orientation:

6. Homosexual female:

Understanding Sexual Orientation
That must be part of the really "basic" training.

I had a quick look through the modules...it's kinda fun.

Maybe we should send some of the more virulently anti-gay posters to "basic training" with the ADF. Do you think they would survive the online course without having their heads explode?

Old 06-08-2009, 04:36 AM

Do you think this is what people are afraid of if DADT was lifted?

YouTube - Monty Python Precision Drilling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies