Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 12:34 AM

9,763 posts, read 10,531,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyHolliday! View Post
Using the OP's logic we should all drive Semi Trucks as there is not a single SUV or Sedan that would not get crushed by one if an accident occurred.
I'll take an Abrams, thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2009, 01:40 AM

1,125 posts, read 1,591,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Hardly,

We Build a 70 mpg Car - Top Gear US (http://www.topgear.com/us/features/more/we-build-a-70-mpg-car/ - broken link)

So your answer is for everyone to drive an SUV? Strange argument.

Chuck that, to be truly safe let us all drive tanks.
http://k41.pbase.com/g3/19/615419/2/52857146.M1AbramsTank.jpg (broken link)

Old 05-19-2009, 07:11 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,579,481 times
Quote:
You don't get it because you don't want to, which is about par for the course.

George Bush 41 once quipped the he wasn't into the "vision thing" which explains a lot about the problem with conservative Republicans, vision. All you can whine about is "American's won't buy small cars." Dude get your head out of your behind. You can have a big, rich, impress your corporate friends Mercedes (http://www.thedetroitbureau.com/tag/mercedes-diesel/ - broken link)next year that will give you 44 mpg.

Instead of saying no all the time, start to work on that vision thing, and just keep saying to yourself, YES WE CAN!

A whole new world might open up for you... or at the very least you might join the rest of us in the 21st Century.
poor mr. avocado. is that all you got? a little white flag and a tired slogan?

i don't drive a car to impress anyone, and i certainly would never waste my money on a mercedes.

Old 05-19-2009, 07:35 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,419,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
And it's been well established for years, that smaller and lighter cars are less crashworthy than larger, heavier cars. Crash two small cars together, and you have significantly more chance of death and injury, than if you crash two large cars together. And of course, if you crash a big car and a small one together, guess which car's occupants get smashed up more?

How is it then that a 1200 lb race-car can hit a wall at 180mph and the driver walks away unscathed? Don't confuse size/weight with crash worthiness.

It is well established a lighter car is more agile and has a greater chance of avoding an accident, IF the driver's paying attention. Making cell phones inoperable in vehicles would probably go further in advancing highway safety than making cars heavier ever will.

Old 05-19-2009, 09:51 AM

2,690 posts, read 4,221,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyHolliday! View Post
Using the OP's logic we should all drive Semi Trucks as there is not a single SUV or Sedan that would not get crushed by one if an accident occurred.
Yeah! I'm gonna get me one of these so I can feel safe on the American roads:The Bicycle Forest :: Humour :: Kenworth Pilgrimage

(just kidding)

Old 05-19-2009, 10:49 AM

5,376 posts, read 5,348,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellise View Post
Yeah! I'm gonna get me one of these so I can feel safe on the American roads:The Bicycle Forest :: Humour :: Kenworth Pilgrimage

(just kidding)

Loved the features:

FEATURES
Fits under MOST bridge underpasses.
The first SUV to be rated in Gallons per Mile by the EPA.
Meet interesting people while waiting in line at Interstate Weigh Stations.
When kids do the arm signal, you get to honk that really cool air horn!
Get a big rush when your Firestone tires blow out.
Lots of road-hugging weight for occupant protection, the ULTIMATE in safety.
Can seat 20. Go ahead, take the WHOLE soccer team.
Can tow your camper, yacht, a trailer-load of frozen pizzas, or even your house!
Yours for under $200,000 ($100,000 for truck chassis + $100,000 standard SUV markup).

Old 05-19-2009, 11:01 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,069,811 times
Vehicle death rates are going down, not up. Concern Troll attack.

Old 05-19-2009, 11:04 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,143,192 times
Quote:
but the fact is that Americans don't feel safe driving tiny tin cans while sharing the road with 18-wheelers
What a misguided and false statement. Most accidents are not with 18 wheelers, they are with other non commerical vehicles and as such what the comment should have been is most people want to be in a truck so that when the get into accident with a car, they live and the other people are the ones more likely to get seriously hurt.

Old 05-19-2009, 11:06 AM

3,709 posts, read 4,629,899 times
Quote:
That's funny since these are the top selling cars (excluding pick-up trucks) in the U.S.

Toyota Camry: 436,617
Honda Accord: 372,789
Toyota Corolla: 351,007*
Honda Civic: 339,289*
Nissan Altima: 269,668
Chevy Impala: 265,840
Dodge Ram: 245,840
Honda CR-V: 197,279
But what is being discussed is further reducing the weight and sizes of vehicles. Those are the proposed "tin cans" that I am referring to.

Old 05-19-2009, 11:09 AM

3,709 posts, read 4,629,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
What a misguided and false statement. Most accidents are not with 18 wheelers, they are with other non commerical vehicles and as such what the comment should have been is most people want to be in a truck so that when the get into accident with a car, they live and the other people are the ones more likely to get seriously hurt.
Ever heard of consumer perception? Consumers generally do not perceive small cars to be safe for freeways. Throw me some statistics about crashes if you like---I am talking about perception, and what the consumer actually wants (instead of what Unc Sam wants).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies