Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 07:40 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,561,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
$50 a month? Wow! My heart pumps Kool-Aid.

On the other hand, millions of people have lost much, much more - home and stock values - thanks to the Republicans.

I did not know that Pelosi, Barney Frank, Bill Clinton when he de-regulated Glass-Steagall (banking) were ever Republicans.
Or at least when they were ignoring the REAL Republicans about the problem with the housing industry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2009, 07:47 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,561,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
'Hmmm.... I don't make 6 figuire income yet Democrats are directly responsible for making this middleclass boy (me) $50 a month poorer due to their tobacco tax and now I hear they are passing another tobacco tax?

And please don't tell me "just don't smoke"......no it is Democrats who took $50 a month out of my lifestyle.And what is this I hear about them wanting to pass a "carbon" tax that would make everybodies power bill go up?

Seems to me rich people won't be effected by their taxes though huh?,Rich people don't care if they have to pay more for power or cigarettes.......
It could only get worse too!

Our sources are telling me that President Obama and Rep.
Henry Waxman are pushing for a key vote on the Carbon
Tax BEFORE Memorial Day -- a tax that studies show
will cost each family $3,100 each and every year.

Last week, Obama met behind closed doors with House
Democrats to pressure them to pass the Carbon Tax.
Now, Waxman is even contemplating skipping the
Subcommittee hearing on the $2 trillion Carbon Cap
and Trade Tax and fast-tracking this new tax straight
to his Energy and Commerce Committee.

Waxman wants this all done by the end of next week...
and Team Obama is turning up the heat on key Democrats
in the House to pressure quick passage of the Carbon Tax.

+ + Why Obama and Waxman Are Fast-Tracking The CO2 Tax

There's a reason Obama and Waxman are pulling out the
stops to pressure Democrats to pass this tax through
the Committee...

Old 05-12-2009, 08:14 PM

37,629 posts, read 19,639,759 times
Quote:
'Hmmm.... I don't make 6 figuire income yet Democrats are directly responsible for making this middleclass boy (me) $50 a month poorer due to their tobacco tax and now I hear they are passing another tobacco tax?

And please don't tell me "just don't smoke"......no it is Democrats who took $50 a month out of my lifestyle.And what is this I hear about them wanting to pass a "carbon" tax that would make everybodies power bill go up?

Seems to me rich people won't be effected by their taxes though huh?,Rich people don't care if they have to pay more for power or cigarettes.......
I would think you'd WANT to quit just to p*ss them off because they wouldn't be able to take your money for taxes any more.

Boy. Civil disobedience ain't what it used to be.

Old 05-12-2009, 08:20 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,149,947 times
Quote:

Old 05-12-2009, 08:25 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,149,947 times
Quote:
SOME OF YOU JUST DON'T GET IT,it is so easy for you to demand others pay or change their lifestyle when you don't agree with or it doesn't effect you but you don't seem to realize you are going to get hit up somehow also and then you'll cry......

Like to stay cool in AC?I bet you do,lets see how you feel when you are $50 a month pooer due to a energy tax eh?
When will you smokers get it in your heads that smoking DOES affect those around you. Second hand smoke makes me gag and makes my allergies act up.

Old 05-12-2009, 08:28 PM

16,292 posts, read 28,721,606 times
Quote:
Dude the tax went up $0.62 cents a pack, and it's costing you $50 a month? That means you are smoking almost 3 packs a day

Not to worry, they will kill you before you get to smoke your fortune away. Or if you like I can suggest a way you can save a lot of money, you won't gross other people out, as smokers do smell bad, especially their hair, your food will taste much better, you won't be panting after climbing a flight of stairs, and you will live longer.

Old 05-12-2009, 10:34 PM

40,048 posts, read 34,829,384 times
Quote:
SOME OF YOU JUST DON'T GET IT,it is so easy for you to demand others pay or change their lifestyle when you don't agree with or it doesn't effect you but you don't seem to realize you are going to get hit up somehow also and then you'll cry......
I'm curious to know how you manage to define smoking as a "lifestyle." (Just for the record, it's a habit...not a lifestyle).

Old 05-12-2009, 11:02 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,172,978 times
What about the bill for Bush's wars that's going to come due eventually? What about the cost of Obama's spending? The OP gripes about $50 (which turned out to be $21) per month and perhaps conveniently ignores the $15,000 each of us is indebted to pay for AIG alone. Let's put this into perspective, shall we?

Smoking is your choice, though part of it is probably unconscious due to its addictive nature. The taxes go up to discourage you from continuing with your destructive habit that actually costs all of us many billions more in health costs.

Old 05-12-2009, 11:32 PM

556 posts, read 824,249 times
It's ironic that the leftists on this board say we shouldn't have to share the burden of his questionable lifestyle decisions.

I'm not a smoker, but I couldn't care less if you smoke or not--though I think it's discourteous to do so around children--and I don't think you should be taxed for it. The one and only thing I can't stand about smokers is the cigarette butts many of you leave everywhere. Since you're apparently being heavily taxed, I wouldn't necessarily be against an option for a tax credit for time volunteered cleaning the sides of highways.

As far as health costs go, you'd think the insurance companies would be able to simply raise your premiums or opt not to carry you at all (or your live at home children). That sounds more reasonable than a tax.

Old 05-13-2009, 04:49 AM

41,457 posts, read 60,198,156 times
lionking - I expect to live for a century and I figured out how to avoid the nannies in first grade. I do pretty much as I like. There is still the annoyance of working for a living but that will soon be replaced with a pension.

FWIW - I WAS a pack a day Camel smoker that had the choice of quitting or dying 30 years ago. The Doctor was nannying I suppose. I also could not afford the $4 per carton price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies