Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 06:02 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,518,129 times

Advertisements

Oh my God! I had to pause halfway through because it was getting to me. . Seriously though, I think she's nuts. In my ten years of going to church I've NEVER seen someone that insane. I especially felt bad for the little girl witnessing alll of that. Children don't need to see grownups acting like that.
And please, please, please don't assume that all born again christians are like this. I became "born again" at 21, and I act about as sane as can be. I would not act like this, or tolerate people acting like this in my presence.

And to the OP. The article was a classic case of christian overkill, and reminded me why I'm not, and never will be a fundamentalist christian. I love how these same people use the phrase "freedom in christ" (meaning, "freedom from the law, salvation by works etc...) attack other groups for legalism (usually catholics) without seeing how they do it themselves. Once I discovered that I can be conservative without being fundamentalist, I changed quite a bit. And I'm still a bible believing christian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2009, 06:17 AM

5,760 posts, read 8,102,730 times
It's a private school and I suspect they have every right to enforce this behavioral rule. Probably an excellent education for the young man concerning the RW religious nuts in our country. I suspect we'll see him at a secular collage in the fall.

Old 05-09-2009, 02:58 PM

1,480 posts, read 3,965,228 times
I dont think he wants to be a Baptist any more either ..
well tonite is the night of the "evil prom" we will see if he submits to God or enjoys his free will
I did look up the rule book for that school .. they are very very strict .. and I honestly dont think its a good thing to be this hard nosed and deny a young man (whom they have given all the right tools to) such a punishment of missing his hard earned graduation ..
Those who control what young people are taught, and what
they experience -- what they see, hear, think, and believe --
will determine the future course for the nation.
-- James Dobson

===========
That really does bother me ..
Dobson's pronouncement, is a revelation into the evangelical and fundamentalist mentality. It displays a hunger for mind control of youth, scarcely different from Pakistan and Afghanistan's Islamic fundamentalists.
Christian fundamentalists send the childern to ultra-conservative Christian schools in an effort to limit socialization that would otherwise open doors to critical thought. The key concept of fundamentalist education is controlling what children learn.

heres the rules book that the kid signed
CONDUCT

Students are not allowed to bring rock, country, “Christian” rock, or rap music, tapes, CDs, or magazines on the school campus. Any student who violates this rule will be subject to suspension. It is impossible to teach Biblical truths and principles to students who have a steady diet of the messages this music contains.

Any use or distribution of drugs or alcohol will result in immediate expulsion from school. Any use of tobacco products will result in suspension on the first offense and expulsion on the second offense. This applies to use on or off campus.

No student will be retained at Heritage Christian School who is involved in any of the following activities.

1. Attendance at a rock or country/western concert, dance, lounge, disco, or public school prom
2. Bringing firearms to school

3. Active participation in the vandalism or destruction of school or private property

4. Possession or use of any alcoholic beverage

5. Possession or use of illegal narcotics

6. Pregnancy or marriage

Students are expected to hold forth a good testimony at home and in public, as well as in school. Any student who brings reproach upon the school by ungodly or improper behavior in public may be suspended or expelled from school.

Now some of the "rules" I can agree with but at this age the kids need to be trusted to do the right thing and this dance is a once in a life time deal .. why shouldnt he go and find out its not as great as the hype surronding it?
I wish him well

Old 05-09-2009, 05:20 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,430,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
I disagree with the prohibition, but I agree fully that they have the RIGHT to.
Well, sure, they have the right to.

Old 05-09-2009, 05:31 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,518,129 times
I believe the amish are more lenient with their teens. There's a period they send them through (Rumspringa, I think) where they are allowed to abandon the lifestyle for a time to allow them to decide for themselves whether to remain amish, before they're baptized. It doesn't sound like such a horrible idea to me as long as nobody is hurt.

Nononsenseguy, you live in Ohio, have you come across this down there?

Old 05-19-2009, 03:24 PM

8,994 posts, read 14,846,257 times
On the news it was said the school wanted to keep their lustful urges from running amok.
I would think that if the school was confident it was teaching its students the right thing and that the students would abide by them.....they wouldn't have to worry about the student's "lustful urges."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies