Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 11:36 AM

240 posts, read 352,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMama2009 View Post
There are private charities were poor people can get things like cell phones, computers, furniture, cars, nice clothes, money, help with the power bill, medical bills, food, hot meals, create resumes, pro bono legal, etc..

Welfare should be abolished. Remember those of you with jobs who take your social welfare tax refund too. How much is it, like 4,000 to 8,000 in porkulous money? Be a true patriot and don't file an income tax!

While your at it, don't take a Pell Grant either! The porkulous has pumped up the Pell Grant to 5,500.
I could see how you could take issue with welfare but you taking issue with the pell grant part is kinda dumb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2009, 12:04 PM

393 posts, read 1,187,422 times
"For the land of the en-title-ment..and the home of eve-ry-thing free..."

Keep them poor, keep them dependent on the government, and keep getting re-elected.
Boy, the "poor" are quickly becoming a new generation of slaves. Slaves owned by Uncle Sam. Suckers.

Old 05-07-2009, 12:14 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,369,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
but I would like to see far more restrictions on it and a very definite time limit imposed.
Me too. I would love for them to make all the recipients get a GED or some vocational training or even a 2/4 yr degree - they'd get financial aid anyway so it's not like it would cost them any money; they get free daycare so that wouldn't be an issue and now they get free cars so they can't even say they have no way to get to school. i would love for single mothers on assistance to agree to birth control - preferably the shot so there's no chance of missing a pill and ending up with another mouth to feed. And I think the time limit should be 6 years. At the end of 6 years if you haven't been able to get an education, find a job and save some money then just too damn bad. of course, I know none of this will ever happen - too many civil rights violated.

My problem with the welfare system is it doesn't work as a "helping hand" but more like a weighted ball around your ankle, pulling you further and further into the system.

Old 05-07-2009, 01:12 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,453,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
Me too. I would love for them to make all the recipients get a GED or some vocational training or even a 2/4 yr degree - they'd get financial aid anyway so it's not like it would cost them any money; they get free daycare so that wouldn't be an issue and now they get free cars so they can't even say they have no way to get to school. i would love for single mothers on assistance to agree to birth control - preferably the shot so there's no chance of missing a pill and ending up with another mouth to feed. And I think the time limit should be 6 years. At the end of 6 years if you haven't been able to get an education, find a job and save some money then just too damn bad. of course, I know none of this will ever happen - too many civil rights violated.

My problem with the welfare system is it doesn't work as a "helping hand" but more like a weighted ball around your ankle, pulling you further and further into the system.
Agree 100%

Except they shouldn't get free cars. I'm wondering where MY free car is.

Old 05-07-2009, 01:20 PM

157 posts, read 180,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fungame View Post
I could see how you could take issue with welfare but you taking issue with the pell grant part is kinda dumb.
Why? Student loans are available.

Old 05-07-2009, 01:56 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,369,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrissyK View Post
Why? Student loans are available.
yes but every one doesn't qualify for student loans. They ask for your parents info as well and if your parents gross income last year was 25K and they have a jacked up credit score chances are they're not going to give you a loan. So without grants, only people who could afford to pay for classes would be able to attend. As for scholarships, probably only 10% (usually the smartest and most athletic) of each senior class goes on to college with full scholarships; most are partial.

Old 05-07-2009, 01:59 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,320,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
And deeper and deeper into the Democratic party.

Dems: the Pusher Party.

(Not that the GOP is innocent. They do the same with wealthier folks. The Repubs' problem is that they have yet to notice that there are fewer of them than there used to be....)

Old 05-07-2009, 03:11 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,849,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Worley View Post
This one is about free cars.
Free cell phones, free cars, free health care, free food, free housing... It is difficult to keep up with it all...

Old 05-07-2009, 10:43 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,253,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Try reading the post before scolding the OP. It's not a duplicate thread.
Many people don't go back to the opening post to read what it is all about.

I am pissed about the cell phone thing. I don't have one and they don't even offer me one. However, I am a registered Republican.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies