Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 05:37 PM

1 posts, read 3,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBeingMe404 View Post
I would definitely date an Asian man (I'm a black woman). My only reluctance would be:

1. Many Asians aren't Christians, and for me, that's a deal-breaker since I highly value my Jesus-lifestyle and I want a man who lives a Jesus-lifestyle, too.

2. Many Asian men, from what I see, seem to be short. I'm 5'8" and I like tall men. I don't know if I've ever seen an Asian man at or close to 6' tall.

3. They seem to have small feet... and if that adage is true..... well.... uhh....

I'm not sure how many asians you've seen or met, but these are all generalizations that are untrue.

I live in Orange County, CA and there are large asian communities here. If anything among Chinese and Korean communities, tall is the norm these days for men. Most are 5'10"+ and I see plenty of dudes that are 6'3" and up all the time. Vietnamese on avg tend to still be on the shorter side but even in their communities there are plenty of tall guys.

I'm on the shorter side being 5'8" myself but I'm almost always the shortest Korean guy when I'm walking around K-Town.

Also, most asians here are all Christians...which actually annoys me since they constantly preach to me and try to convert me, and there's always some new asian lady knocking on my door giving me Jesus pamphlets. So saying many asians aren't Christian just isn't true. If anything there are more Christian asians than not.

So in other words, your generalizations based on what few asians you've encountered are simply false.

It's the same as if I were to say black women are all overweight, have fake hair/weaves, are gold diggeres and are rude at restaurants just because that's what I've encountered most out here. Doesn't make it true.

Last thing: I wonder why asians get the "short" stereotype when Mexicans on the average are shorter? Most are around 5'6". Yet I never hear that stereotype being slung their way.

Old 08-04-2011, 06:39 PM

1,361 posts, read 3,722,876 times
I think every race has to deal with dumb stereotypes. I grew up in San Francisco, a city that defines the Asian American experience. I grew up around Asians that ended up becoming doctors and others that grew up to be gang bangers. I got a little upset when I heard Chris Rock say "there are no homeless Asians" because I grew up seeing hundreds of them in SF. Anybody thinking all people with similar features act or look a certain way is a moron. Not every Asian guy is a short autistic nerd just like not every Black guy is a drug dealing gang member. Unfortunately, in America, stereotypes do resonate with people especially in their dating preferences. However, everyone is different. I'm mixed and all of my friendships and relationships do not gravitate around race. You just have to hang in there and find someone who will like you for you. Race is ultimately a meaningless social construct.

Old 08-04-2011, 06:45 PM

313 posts, read 285,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksburg View Post
I just read a post on interracial dating and marriage which prompted me to come up with this idea.
Asian males seem to be at disadvantage.Being Asian is okay,but being Asian male is not that great.
Will white/black/hispanic females take Asian males into account when it comes to dating and marriage?
I doubt it is considering Asian people are like 60%+ of the world's population. White people are <15%.

How could Asian people be at a disadvantage? If anything, they have billions of potential Asian mates.

Old 10-16-2011, 02:32 PM

982 posts, read 3,604,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenchild08 View Post
I think every race has to deal with dumb stereotypes. I grew up in San Francisco, a city that defines the Asian American experience. I grew up around Asians that ended up becoming doctors and others that grew up to be gang bangers. I got a little upset when I heard Chris Rock say "there are no homeless Asians" because I grew up seeing hundreds of them in SF. Anybody thinking all people with similar features act or look a certain way is a moron. Not every Asian guy is a short autistic nerd just like not every Black guy is a drug dealing gang member. Unfortunately, in America, stereotypes do resonate with people especially in their dating preferences.
True, unfortunately.
This video was made in San Francisco..

Old 10-16-2011, 02:46 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,471,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GbrushLC View Post
I'm not sure how many asians you've seen or met, but these are all generalizations that are untrue.

I live in Orange County, CA and there are large asian communities here. If anything among Chinese and Korean communities, tall is the norm these days for men. Most are 5'10"+ and I see plenty of dudes that are 6'3" and up all the time. Vietnamese on avg tend to still be on the shorter side but even in their communities there are plenty of tall guys.

I'm on the shorter side being 5'8" myself but I'm almost always the shortest Korean guy when I'm walking around K-Town.

Also, most asians here are all Christians...which actually annoys me since they constantly preach to me and try to convert me, and there's always some new asian lady knocking on my door giving me Jesus pamphlets. So saying many asians aren't Christian just isn't true. If anything there are more Christian asians than not.

So in other words, your generalizations based on what few asians you've encountered are simply false.

It's the same as if I were to say black women are all overweight, have fake hair/weaves, are gold diggeres and are rude at restaurants just because that's what I've encountered most out here. Doesn't make it true.

Last thing: I wonder why asians get the "short" stereotype when Mexicans on the average are shorter? Most are around 5'6". Yet I never hear that stereotype being slung their way.
Height's a function of food and development. In fact it is a measure social scientist use to determine the health of a given population.

My guess is that Asian Americans are probably on average taller than their Asian counterparts due to differences in diet.

Old 10-16-2011, 03:11 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,267,313 times
How Your Race Affects The Messages You Get « OkTrends

asian/indian guys in america and black women in america are the most adversely selected groups when it comes to dating.

In my peer group, (mid-20's, some form of graduate school/degre), asian/indian guys that pull the same quality (in looks) women as my white friends all earn 20-30k more atleast. Even then it is tough for asian/indian guys compared to other races.

Old 10-16-2011, 03:44 PM

18,247 posts, read 22,589,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mufc1878 View Post
How Your Race Affects The Messages You Get « OkTrends

asian/indian guys in america and black women in america are the most adversely selected groups when it comes to dating.

In my peer group, (mid-20's, some form of graduate school/degre), asian/indian guys that pull the same quality (in looks) women as my white friends all earn 20-30k more atleast. Even then it is tough for asian/indian guys compared to other races.
And yet, many Black women are married to prominent men. The most powerful man in the world is married to a Black woman.

Old 10-16-2011, 04:45 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,441,494 times
Default Depends on the male

No, it is not unfortunate to be an asian male, unless the male imposes restrictions on himself that distorts his view of other races and negatively impacts his ability to relate to others in a respectful manner.

Old 10-16-2011, 04:54 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,585,584 times
I've never been aware of any 'issues' regarding Asian males; they've always been very focused on academics, going back forty-plus years ago when I was in HS.

I was surrounded by tons of them in elementary and HS here in Los Angeles from the late fifties until I graduated from HS in 1970, and the overwhelming majority of them (males & females) were extremely intelligent and always focused on going to top-notch universities such as UCLA, Cal & Stanford.

They've always been very conscientious and focused on self-achievement as opposed to depending on the charity and/or handouts from others.

No ethnic group was less impacted by the 2008 housing crash than Asians, since their rejection rate for mortgages is the lowest of any ethnic group, as Dr. Thomas Sowell & Walter E. Williams, who met at UCLA when Sowell was a professor & Williams was an undergrad have routinely pointed out is their writings over the years.

They've a huge percentage of students enrolled and/or graduating from UCLA, UC Berkeley, and the rest of the UC campuses, as a point of reference, 43% of the current student body at UCLA, the most applied-to university in the nation for 12 consecutive years, is Asian, so whatever 'issues' Asian males might have in our society are essentially nonexistent IMHO.

Old 10-16-2011, 05:14 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,743,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksburg View Post
I just read a post on interracial dating and marriage which prompted me to come up with this idea.
Asian males seem to be at disadvantage.Being Asian is okay,but being Asian male is not that great.
Will white/black/hispanic females take Asian males into account when it comes to dating and marriage?
Pretty much. i don;t think asian guy (east asian and south asian) to be attractive.

East asian guys look very feminine to me and south asian guys are just plain unattractive. Again this is my opinion, no offense to anyone. Of course most of them are short and stereotypically have small dicks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies