Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 06:17 PM

1,096 posts, read 1,839,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyvin View Post
What do you mean by Asian Male? I didn't read all the posts. If you ask the people whom are "catagorized" as Asian you would get into a huge controversy.
Asian Male means what exactly?
That opens up a whole new can of worms. For purposes of this thread, right or wrong, I think we've been using the unspoken definition of 'Asian' meaning of East Asian or Pacific Island ancestry. Of course, you are correct that "Asian" could/should probably include India and former Soviet nations as well. Much of what has been discussed could apply to many of the other Continental Asian males as well, but I don't think in exactly the same manner and to the same degree as the subset we've been discussing.

I am assuming you were not confused about the 'male' - but if you were we've been using 'male' to refer to humans with a single X and single Y chromosome.

Last edited by tyanger; 02-02-2010 at 07:00 PM..

Old 02-02-2010, 07:10 PM

1,688 posts, read 4,306,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyanger View Post
That opens up a whole new can of worms. For purposes of this thread, right or wrong, I think we've been using the unspoken definition of 'Asian' meaning of East Asian or Pacific Island ancestry. Of course, you are correct that "Asian" could/should probably include India and former Soviet nations as well. Much of what has been discussed could apply to many of the other Continental Asian males as well, but I don't think in exactly the same manner and to the same degree as the subset we've been discussing.

I am assuming you were not confused about the 'male' - but if you were we've been using 'male' to refer to humans with a single X and single Y chromosome.
Pacific Island?
Thank You for the clarification - I did not know.

Old 03-16-2010, 09:41 AM

983 posts, read 3,603,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AM Revolutions View Post
If some of you haven't noticed, this entire society is set up so that males can first "consume" females. This is the issue of commodification that many women and feminists take issue with.

And then on top of that initial layer of sexist and misogynist 'consumption' of females as objects - you have a secondary layer of RACIAL commodification, wherein the various races of women are neatly lined up on a platter (so to speak) - whites, blacks, Latinas, Asians, East Indians - all for the White Man and his token (black) Poster Boy to consume together.

Is it any wonder we have a society where white and black men (but only by the 'good graces' of white male liberals who 'allow' black males to participate in this ravenous, racialized consumption of women) treat other races of women as the spoils of this silent and invisible war - all while Latino, Asian, East Indian, and Native-American men are forced to watch as they have their way with the women?

It's a form of 'ethnocide' disguised as "diversity" and "colorblind love". Don't let the smokescreen fool ya.

I know I used some pretty pointed words here, but I did it to drive home the point. I don't mean to offend anyone.
I just reread your post and realized that you're right that the American society is set up so that males can first "consume" females.
Such thing such as "scoring" girls is/was a foreign concept to most Asians (Chinese, Indians, Indonesians, etc.), yet in America it's almost promoted as a normalcy..
Of course things are changing (in both positive and negative way) in Asia itself due to American influence.

Old 03-16-2010, 09:50 AM

30,187 posts, read 18,770,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksburg View Post
I just read a post on interracial dating and marriage which prompted me to come up with this idea.
Asian males seem to be at disadvantage.Being Asian is okay,but being Asian male is not that great.
Will white/black/hispanic females take Asian males into account when it comes to dating and marriage?

Are you kidding? Asian males that I have run across (my former medical partner was Asian -American trained- and was the greatest guy) are hard working and dedicated to education. Most are nerdy, but that is the type of guy that every father wants thier daughter to marry.

I, for one, do not care about race when my kids are dating. What I care about is that the person is hard working, devoted to education, is free of drugs and alcohol, and will treat my kids well. The color is completely irrelevent. This is from a far, far right winger who has blacks and asians in our extended family. Good families tend to produce good kids, and their race really does not matter.

Keep in mind that when you are in your teens and twenties, the attractiveness of a male is the size of thier biceps and the brightness of thier smile. Over thirty, the attractiveness of a male is more dependent upon the size of the wallet they are sitting on. Be patient and good things will come. Keep in mind that people with no confidence like to be treated poorly, and those are certainly individuals to avoid. Also, crazy gets worse with age- not better. You cannot "save" a good looking crazy person.

Old 03-16-2010, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Are you kidding? Asian males that I have run across (my former medical partner was Asian -American trained- and was the greatest guy) are hard working and dedicated to education. Most are nerdy, but that is the type of guy that every father wants thier daughter to marry.
Yet it's been instilled into most of the American daughters that Asian males are least desirable (unless they have more money to make up for it), and a lot of Asian(-American) females aspire to be "mainstream", "cool", "American" by having a White partner.
Granted. Most of these things developed unconsciously while you're growing up.
I suggest you read the last couple of pages, especially since AM Revolutions came in. You'll then hopefully understand what I'm referring to.

Old 03-16-2010, 10:21 AM

2,229 posts, read 1,691,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rory00 View Post
i would say this is more generational than about race. there are many dominate and sexist minded people in all races.

i would say the younger generation of asians even in asia are more egalitarian in their relationships.
I completely disagree.

We have alot of asian friends, many of them younger, and even when she speaks up or smokes a cigarette, or anything else that isnt submissive, they are kind of taken back by her boldness.

There is a reason most asian girls are quiet, do that cut little laugh with their hands over their mouth, and all and all act submissive. Because its very much still a part of their society.

Old 03-16-2010, 10:37 AM

Smile Americanized Asian-American Males

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarlilesiu View Post
I completely disagree.

We have alot of asian friends, many of them younger, and even when she speaks up or smokes a cigarette, or anything else that isnt submissive, they are kind of taken back by her boldness.

There is a reason most asian girls are quiet, do that cut little laugh with their hands over their mouth, and all and all act submissive. Because its very much still a part of their society.
Welcome back to the thread, jcarlilesiu!
But you do agree that there are enough "Americanized Asian-American males", don't you?
I can understand though how people could hardly imagine an "Americanized Asian-American guy" because for as long as we can remember the "All American Guy" has been White.

Quote:
My wife is Chinese. She dated a few asian men, but she is very Americanized and usually liked how American men viewed a relationship with her moreso than how an Asian American man does. We are very much equals in our relationship, in a relationship with an Asian, he would be the dominate person in the relationship. Some americanized asian women have issues with this cultural concept.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutre View Post
Sorry, but that line is getting old. As if there was a dearth of "Americanized" Asian American men. Even the phrase "Americanized Asian American" sounds farcical.

Last edited by Neutre; 03-16-2010 at 11:47 AM..

Old 03-16-2010, 10:41 AM

126 posts, read 162,097 times
Quote:
I completely disagree.

Why are you stereotyping most asians as perpetual foreigners. There are Asians who have been here for 5 generations that do not giggle with their hands over their mouths and are as American as anybody else.

Old 03-16-2010, 11:44 AM

Default Gays

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
Agreed for the most part, but I think there is a tendency to overstate the degree of "sexual privilege" afforded to black men. You have to remember that the goals for emasculation (Asian men) and hypermasculinization (black men) are one in the same - to dehumanize and marginalize. Both groups stand to be equally diminished by these forces, the same forces that now perpetuate the very notion of "colorblind love", that you might agree has been nothing more than a tool implemented by those in power to reinforce and normalize long-standing notions and structures of white supremacy. To the degree that women of all races subscribe to "colorblindness" and "sexual diversity" as they are presently served to us, they are "liberated" to seek after the "white man" for ultimate validation.

Sure there are some clueless black men who, by allowing themselves to be immersed in what is ostensibly a positive sexual role, play directly into the forces of their own oppression. But most of us know better, and through no great effort at introspection are able to empathize with the plight of the Asian male. I think we would all be best served by aligning our efforts at dismantling the pervasive structure of white supremacy (sexual and otherwise) that, if left unchecked, threatens to foment a world perpetually on the margins wherein more mindless, unthinking mandingos continue to enjoy the illusion of sexual diversity while the asexual eunuchs remain disillusioned by it.
Btw, this affects not only the heterosexuals. Within the gay community, Asians have been at the bottom* of the hierarchy.

*Not only in the hierarchy..

Quote:
You are affected by the stereotypes against Asian men regardless of your sexual orientation.
In fact, gays are much more affected by the emasculating and desexualizing stereotypes against Asian men because gay men generally put much more weight upon external appearances including the size of your penis.

Here's an interview about the perception of gay men in San Fransisco.

Old 03-16-2010, 11:48 AM

2,229 posts, read 1,691,593 times
Quote:
Welcome back to the thread, jcarlilesiu!
But you do agree that there are enough "Americanized Asian-American males", don't you?
I can understand though how people could hardly imagine an "Americanized Asian-American guy" because for as long as we can remember the "All American Guy" has been White.
Sorry, I can't watch that video where I am at.

As far as Americanized Asian guys. Sure you have a point. Even still though, culturally, the asian household traditionally favors a more dominate role for the males.

This isn't just asian either. Evengelical christians very often take the bible very literally and expact that a women and children are submissive to the male.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies