Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 11:12 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,859,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
You do have a good point. I had that attitude for a while, but couldn't shake the feeling that I was wasting my time on a bunch of propagandists. MSNBC promotes Obama, and Fox promotes the right. It's both propaganda. The only show I like is Morning Joe. I feel I get both sides and it's a pleasant change from Hannity and Olbermann. Although between the two, MSNBC has a more "news-like" (and therefore intelligent) feel than tabloid Fox.

Aside from that I go to the global media for my news. BBC, CBC, London Times, Financial Times, etc...
I had to do the same thing but went a step further. Getting away from TV news was necessary for sanity, particularly when anniversary of 911 was imminent. Restoring journalist standards needs to happen, but unfortunately when 'entertainment' and marketshare has a higher priority, every media outlet suffers. When the only way to compete is out doing the next guy's yellow journalist headline, it's a competition of scoundrels. Everyday is an election year.

Olbermann isn't someone I can listen to often but I can say this much... he eloquently spoke my own rage over gitmo, patriot act, Iraq, unprecedented executive power, pre emptive war... and the like. I was very disturbed that no conservatives were voicing concern, and that RWM had taken up the habit of mocking NY's opposition to Iraq by telling us in so many words we needed therapy.

One thing I miss is in depth reporting. It's as if the whole world has the attention span of a gnat if MSM volumes were a true measure. Somehow the bar got lowered instead of raised and now the crowd that gawks at a car accident is the rule not the exception. Frontline & Moyers does a pretty good job of digging in, but they're rare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2009, 11:20 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,859,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post
When Akres v Fox News is overturned, and also when media ownership is not consolidated in 7-8 conglomerates.
Unbelievable how that trial went with Akres- why is the press in service to protecting monsanto? I wonder if Michael Powell has any regrets showing off his libertarian policy of allowing conglomerations. Very disappointed in that decision. Anti trust issues getting neglected has predictable results for capitalism.

Old 04-26-2009, 07:50 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,380,974 times
Some very interesting comments. I will say that no matter who is right, left or in between, our freedom is directly tied to the integrity and freedom of the media. It matters not whether it is print, radio, tv, or internet. Without integrity, we are all lost as a nation. I care not if a media editorial board be right or left, just be certain to keep the editorials editorial and news news. Just da fax mam... just da fax....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies