Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 10:27 AM

1,214 posts, read 1,697,607 times

Advertisements

There is no doubt that Liberal media is bigger, with a much larger prescence in the mainstream. But despite it's larger size, it doesn't even come close to competing with conservative media outlets.

FOX News alone is the most watched News station and it beats CNN, NBC, ABC, and every other news channel by a long shot. MSNBC, the most liberally slanted network, has the lowest ratings. Even in talk radio, liberal radio hosts don't tend to last very long and have very small audiences, same goes for the internet. Books are the same way, Bill O' Riley and Glenn Beck are New York Times best selling authors. The only real successful liberal show I would say would be Jon Stewart, who I put in the same category as Rush Limbaugh, just pure entertainment. Hollywood definitely has a strong liberal bias to it, and this extends beyond news sources into regular TV sitcoms and movies. Family Guy for example has had more than a few episodes of liberal preaching.

So my question is, why? Even though liberals do have a larger presence in the media, it seems that the conservative market is where the success is at. If these media outlets wanted a bigger profit, why don't they try to attract conservative viewers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2013, 10:34 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,057,585 times
Because like you said, there's less of it.

If for example of 10 sources, 9 are "liberal" and 1 is "conservative", and 40-50% go to the "conservative" one, the 9 "liberal" sources have to share the other 50-60%

Old 10-23-2013, 10:35 AM

12,638 posts, read 8,960,888 times
People don't want to listen to a bunch of whining liberals who think the government is supposed to take care of them from cradle to crave.

Old 10-23-2013, 10:35 AM

68,333 posts, read 54,428,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaPirate355 View Post
There is no doubt that Liberal media is bigger, with a much larger prescence in the mainstream. But despite it's larger size, it doesn't even come close to competing with conservative media outlets.

FOX News alone is the most watched News station and it beats CNN, NBC, ABC, and every other news channel by a long shot. MSNBC, the most liberally slanted network, has the lowest ratings. Even in talk radio, liberal radio hosts don't tend to last very long and have very small audiences, same goes for the internet. Books are the same way, Bill O' Riley and Glenn Beck are New York Times best selling authors. The only real successful liberal show I would say would be Jon Stewart, who I put in the same category as Rush Limbaugh, just pure entertainment. Hollywood definitely has a strong liberal bias to it, and this extends beyond news sources into regular TV sitcoms and movies. Family Guy for example has had more than a few episodes of liberal preaching.

So my question is, why? Even though liberals do have a larger presence in the media, it seems that the conservative market is where the success is at. If these media outlets wanted a bigger profit, why don't they try to attract conservative viewers?
Gee, you list TWO conservative authors, does that mean you believe ALL the others are liberals?

And you say Hollywood has a strong liberal bias. Given the huge sums of $$$ made in Hollywood, WHY would they go after conservatives if their 'liberal bias' is so successful?

I don't think you've really proved conservative media IS more successful.

Old 10-23-2013, 10:43 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,333,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaPirate355 View Post

Fear-mongering sells.
"They're lying to you!"
"The end is near!"
"Stock up on non-perishables and generators!"
"Buy gold! The crash is coming!"
"Stock up on ammo! The marauding hordes are coming to getcha!"
"The smart folks are building survival shelters!"
"They're poisoning you with food and vaccinations!"
"We're on the road to perdition!"

Ties in nicely with RW paranoia. It feeds on itself.

Old 10-23-2013, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Gee, you list TWO conservative authors, does that mean you believe ALL the others are liberals?

And you say Hollywood has a strong liberal bias. Given the huge sums of $$$ made in Hollywood, WHY would they go after conservatives if their 'liberal bias' is so successful?

I don't think you've really proved conservative media IS more successful.
Why would you assume that I think all other authors are liberals? That's irrational.

Hollywood has a well known liberal bias, this is not debatable. Making lot's of money has nothing to do with it, there are poor conservatives and rich liberals, it just has to do with how you see the role of Government. How many celebreties do you see that are open conservatives? Not too many aside from Chuck Norris and Clint Eastwood. You hardly ever see a celebrity take a conservative stance on any issue whether it be gun rights, gay marriage, taxes etc....it's almost always a liberal stance.

Old 10-23-2013, 10:44 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,227,522 times
All of that successful media isn't helping matters.

For the millionth time...liberals don't look to media for a confirmation of views like conservatives do. Conservatives need it because their views are so nutty that they're actually amazed that someone on TV and radio actually agrees with them, and they're quite enamored of that fact.

Libs like myself ignore media for the most part. I don't need Ed Schultz or Rachel Maddow to confirm that I'm actually sane becasue my views are based in common sense.

If I was a nutcase like half the conservatives out there, I'd be looking for an echo chamber too. You guys desperately need it.

In any case, even with all that successful conservative media, conservatives are LOSING ground. You'll see in 2016.

Old 10-23-2013, 10:44 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,228,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
Because like you said, there's less of it.

If for example of 10 sources, 9 are "liberal" and 1 is "conservative", and 40-50% go to the "conservative" one, the 9 "liberal" sources have to share the other 50-60%
This!

If you are the only game in town for conservatively-slanted "news," then that one news outlet will, necessarily attract just about anyone looking for conservative news. If there were a second viable conservative news station, Fox would see it's numbers drop as some people switch to the alternative.

Obviously, the more players are in the game, the less each can attract of the overall market share. Thus, if you have five liberally-slanted "news" stations, they now need to share the number of liberal-minded consumers among them.

Is that not something that you could have figured out yourself? It's very, very basic, you know.

Old 10-23-2013, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Fear-mongering sells.
"They're lying to you!"
"The end is near!"
"Stock up on non-perishables and generators!"
"Buy gold! The crash is coming!"
"Stock up on ammo! The marauding hordes are coming to getcha!"
"The smart folks are building survival shelters!"
"They're poisoning you with food and vaccinations!"
"We're on the road to perdition!"

Ties in nicely with RW paranoia. It feeds on itself.
I have never heard anything like this, you must be listening to some crazy guy like Alex Jones. I have heard some dooms day fear mongering on CNN and NBC before, the shutdown for example? They made it sound like the world was coming to an end, even though in reality it wasn't even a shutdown to begin with, just a temporary shrinkage of government, the federal workers were still going to get paid regardless for back-pay, and in real life nothing was affected. You don't need the government to go for a walk in the park.

The problem with the media is it's always driven more by agenda than the truth. And that agenda is 90% of the time liberal.

Old 10-23-2013, 10:49 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,579,129 times
What do you mean "successful"? There are far more liberal media than conservative media.

Almost all the mainstream media are liberal. The liberal media are truly successful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies