Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who was the best president since John F. Kennedy
John F. Kennedy 4 3.92%
Lyndon Johnson 5 4.90%
Richard Nixon 1 0.98%
Gerald Ford 3 2.94%
James Carter 2 1.96%
Ronald Reagan 49 48.04%
George H. W. Bush 3 2.94%
William J. Clinton 14 13.73%
George W. Bush 5 4.90%
Barack H. Obama (So Far) 12 11.76%
Not Sure 4 3.92%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 12:12 AM

3,301 posts, read 6,338,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♠atizar♠ View Post
Yeah, I find that quite remarkable, given the number of people that have participated in the thread is only a few more than the total votes for Unca Ronnie.

Ahh... the benefits of free and open forum registration!

But nah, on second thought, no one HERE would stack a poll with alternate account votes...

Do you know how to vote more than once in a City-data poll?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2009, 12:16 AM

20,318 posts, read 37,308,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudCapMarine View Post
Do you know how to vote more than once in a City-data poll?
I don't think you can vote more than once. I tried it, and it didn't work, perhaps because it uses my IP address.

Old 04-23-2009, 05:48 AM

68,363 posts, read 54,576,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
He didn't actually start the war. The Vietnam war was started in the eisenhower administration and escalated through the Kennedy and johnson admins. It is easy to look back in hindsight and say that we should not have been there. But when you consider the serious Cold WAr menace that existed then (the cuban missile crisis happened in 1962 plus the militaristic rise of USSR and China among other things), the threat of expanding Communism (Domino Principle) was very real and scary. World domination by the Communists was NOT out of the question. It was every bit as real as Nazi Germany and Imperial Japan taking over other countries in years preceding and during WWII and maybe US this time. Given those circumstances, any of the Presidents probably would have done the same thing as LBJ. LBJ's legislative accomplishments and attempts to make the country a better place far outshine those of most other Presidents. He would have been a Great President if not for Vietnam.

Many found it quite easy to look at Vietnam in 1968 and even earlier and conclude we had no business getting involved in what was essentially a civil war. Even MacNamara, one of escalation's principal architects, has admitted very little was known/understood about the situation there when decisions were made to increase US involvement.

No hindsight required, Kennedy, Johnson, Nixon, they screwed the pooch.

Old 04-23-2009, 09:26 AM

3,301 posts, read 6,338,248 times
It's a real battle for second place between Bill Clinton and Obama.

I wonder who will win between them?

Old 04-23-2009, 10:49 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,178,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
I don't think you can vote more than once. I tried it, and it didn't work, perhaps because it uses my IP address.
vBulletin (the forum software they use) keeps track of the users and the options they chose in the poll. That's how it knows to display the option you selected in italics when viewing the poll results.

Old 04-23-2009, 10:53 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,178,778 times
Quote:
It's a real battle for second place between Bill Clinton and Obama.

I wonder who will win between them?
I find it very amusing that the Obama supporters are quick to point out that he's only been office for a few months when someone's posting something derogatory about him, but those same Obama supporters will vote him the "greatest president since JFK" despite his only having been in office for a few months.

The hypocrisy is dripping.

Old 04-23-2009, 11:11 AM

946 posts, read 2,609,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
My experiences while in the military for over 20 years were very different than yours. For example, I didn't vote for Reagan, and voted for Carter. But long after retiring from the military, I learned that thanks to Carter's involvement against the Shah's ((a dictator, of course) human rights, the Ayatollahs took over, and the result was a new enemy of the US.
The Shah ruthlessly suppressed any political dissent which eventually led to his downfall. The new Iranian government really wanted to get their hands on him (literally) and the Shah was having difficulty finding a country that would admit him (he had cancer and needed medical care). Carter allowed the Shah into America (I think Hawaii or CA) and that was the catalyst for the Iranian takeover of our embassy. A good attempt at loyalty from Carter, as we have a history of leaving our allies in the lurch, but it really backfired.

Of all our enemies, I think the Iranians are the most patient and skilled, as you'd expect from a civilization that invented chess. I feel like they've been playing us like a piano.

Old 04-25-2009, 05:05 AM

2,104 posts, read 1,446,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teach1234 View Post
The Shah ruthlessly suppressed any political dissent which eventually led to his downfall. The new Iranian government really wanted to get their hands on him (literally) and the Shah was having difficulty finding a country that would admit him (he had cancer and needed medical care). Carter allowed the Shah into America (I think Hawaii or CA) and that was the catalyst for the Iranian takeover of our embassy. A good attempt at loyalty from Carter, as we have a history of leaving our allies in the lurch, but it really backfired.

Of all our enemies, I think the Iranians are the most patient and skilled, as you'd expect from a civilization that invented chess. I feel like they've been playing us like a piano.
Thank you.

The Shah was a decades old situation, which Carter inherited.

Had he NOT allowed him into the US, people and politicians here would have screamed bloody murder - many of them conservatives, no doubt.

But, who am I to get in the way of GOP revisionist history? WE NEED ICON! GIVE US ICON! GRUNTGRUNT!

LOL Reagan! Highest unemployment in decades, reversal of his election promised tax cuts (replaced with multiple tax increases) massive deficit spending, selling weapons to an enemy... can you IMAGINE had Carter or Clinton done that? We'd never hear the end of it. But it was Ronnie, the B movie actor.... and they licked it up...

Punked by a homophobic, racist, douchebag, whose financial policies still haunts this country and his party, to this day.

Old 04-25-2009, 10:25 AM

11,431 posts, read 19,039,188 times
Quote:
John F. Kennedy
Lyndon Johnson

Richard Nixon
Gerald Ford
James Carter

Ronald Reagan
George H. W. Bush
William J. Clinton

George W. Bush
Barack H. Obama

Who voted George W Bush and why on earth would they list him as their choice?

Old 04-25-2009, 10:43 AM

4,301 posts, read 7,046,291 times
Quote:
The Shah was a decades old situation, which Carter inherited.
So Carter 'inherited' the issue of Iran, so is free of blame, yet Reagan inherits Carter's contractionairy monetary policy, and receives blame?

Quote:
LOL Reagan! Highest unemployment in decades, reversal of his election promised tax cuts (replaced with multiple tax increases) massive deficit spending, selling weapons to an enemy... can you IMAGINE had Carter or Clinton done that? We'd never hear the end of it. But it was Ronnie, the B movie actor.... and they licked it up...
See above.. And yes, he did tax corporations and the rich, but those policies were later reversed. As a matter of fact I do not recall him running on a platform of tax cuts until he was up for re-election in 1984. After the early 80s recession, we saw the highest growth rates since WWII, low unemployment, low inflation, and a massive boom in the logistics and technology fields.

As for weapons selling... What enemy are you referring to? In the 80s the enemies you speak of were on our side, and helped make the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan that much more difficult. As a matter of fact, Carter began those weapons sales in the late 70s. And Clinton did sell weapons to the enemy as well, however, he covered it up better than Reagan by going through mediator countries instead.

American presidents are without a doubt some of the biggest arms dealers in the world. As it turns out, Reagan's administration is the only one that got busted, and they could not even link him to the arms deals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies