Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 01:31 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,771,243 times

Advertisements

Conservative Republican agree with Dems on death penalty, drug legalization, Cuba, could be persuaded on health care
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2009, 02:34 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,697,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC Investor2 View Post
Since that is the default liberal position on those two issues, I think you'll find yourself at the end of a rather long line.
I'm just in line for the handcuffs and straight jacket - or in my case, I guess they'd issue a "gay jacket".

Old 04-22-2009, 02:36 PM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,848,450 times
I call the full metal jacket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I'm just in line for the handcuffs and straight jacket - or in my case, I guess they'd issue a "gay jacket".

Old 04-22-2009, 04:00 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,492,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
I did not know Obama had support for death penalty for child rapists?

Do you have any links for this? That is so awesome if it is true.
That is NOT awesome, it was disgusting pandering to the constitutionally illiterate. He made some meaningless statement opposing the Supreme Court ruling last June, probably so he wasn't in danger of being "Willie Horton"ed. It may have been politically necessary, but it was the farthest possible thing from courageous or "awesome."

Old 04-22-2009, 04:21 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,697,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
That is NOT awesome, it was disgusting pandering to the constitutionally illiterate. He made some meaningless statement opposing the Supreme Court ruling last June, probably so he wasn't in danger of being "Willie Horton"ed. It may have been politically necessary, but it was the farthest possible thing from courageous or "awesome."
I agree. I'm turned off by anyone who gets excited about the death penalty.

Old 04-22-2009, 10:26 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,205,003 times
Do you agree with any of the stances of the opposite party?

Well even though I consider the opposition party to be the Incumbent Party, or more generally speaking, the bulk of the US government as a whole, I can say they do things I do agree with. They still on occasion work within the bounds of the United States Constitution and its laws, kinda sorta they at least try to give the appearance of anyway.

It may just be cynicism creeping in as the years pass by and each year is followed by a never ending series of corruption scandals, party politics at the expense of the country, special interest seeming having more influence over the direction legislation than do the people. Yet despite our government being fraught with self serving, sycophantic power mongers bent on adding just one more notch to their belt, once in a while they do toss a bone to us lowly scumbags known as the Sovereign for whom they work for. After all, even a man with a broken watch can tell the right time twice a day.

Old 04-22-2009, 10:41 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,037,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
This thread was surprisingly civil, and then you had to hurl personal insults and epithets. Why? Why stoop down? I don't get it, just ignore the guy, it wouldn't kill ya. Would it?

Anyway, back on topic; I depart from my conservative brethren on smoking. I'm militantly anti-smoking and for the life of me have no idea why it's a political issue. For me, it's strictly a health and public safety issue.
Yeah ... Unfortunately too many conservatives advocate freedom to smoke wherever a smoker pleases and for the rest of us to just deal with it. This conservative is a strong advocate for banning cigarettes!

Old 04-23-2009, 05:51 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,796,366 times
I don't have an opposite I don't think. I agree with a little bit of what each party says but see no point in anarchy. Leaving civilization is your guaranteed utopia- go fetch.

YouTube - The American Centrist Party First AD

Quote:
We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.
- Albert Einstein
Who is a Centrist & what is Centrism?

Old 04-23-2009, 06:08 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,771,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
I don't have an opposite I don't think. I agree with a little bit of what each party says but see no point in anarchy. Leaving civilization is your guaranteed utopia- go fetch.

YouTube - The American Centrist Party First AD

Who is a Centrist & what is Centrism?

I am curious about this, What is a centrist position on abortion? How about assisted suicide? Gay marriage? Global warming?

Old 04-23-2009, 06:27 PM

2,404 posts, read 3,951,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
If you are a Republican, are there any liberal stances you agree with?
I'll prefix this for the record and say I'm not a Repub. But I am definitely not a Democrat. But some of the democrat's thoughts I believe in are:

- I'm okay with gay marriage.
- Abortions, however tough morally for me, I can't come to dictate what a women can or cannot do to her body.
- I'm down with the herbals.
- stem cell research
- Rahm Emanuel had a good idea a few years ago where he suggested we create a National Institute of Science and Engineering
- The idea of energy independence is attractive
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies