Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 12:51 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,355,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Cowgirl View Post
For the record, our congress has paid into Social Security since 1984. Capitol Questions

They don't get massive payouts for the rest of their lives
snopes.com: Congressional Pensions

And much of the hue and cry from their constituents has caused them to make some changes to their pay structures
Congressional pension - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That being said, the blog about the 545 is useful and interesting to think about. We are in trouble as a nation, and obviously, what worked in the past doesn't work any more. My biggest concern is how divided the country has become over the last several decades. We don't seem to be able to have civil conversations without name calling, and diminishing persons with different opinions/ideas/information. My partially conspiracy-oriented brain suspects that this is not by accident. I would suspect that it serves the government to NOT have us all in synch with each other. If we all agreed, we could actually make them step up to the plate -- you know, READ the dang bills they pass; stop adding unrelated crap to the bills they hate but agree to pass because of the add-ons; and - they might have to actually SHOW UP for congressional votes!

I usually stay away from this forum because some threads get downright mean. But I think the 545 Blog needs to be on front page again and again. So I'd love to see more conversation on this thread to keep it there. People need perspective and the 545 Blog is a good piece for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2009, 12:56 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,578,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
No the government's job is to protect the rights and freedom of the people not to "govern" them.
Uh...the meaning of "to govern" includes all functions of government, including the protection of rights.

Saying it's not the government's job to govern is nonsensical. I may as well say that a batter's job is to score runs, not to swing the bat.

Old 08-29-2009, 01:00 PM

3,920 posts, read 3,669,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Do you recognize the absurdity of what you are writing?

To rephrase for clarity:

The representatives of the government want to govern, but instead of the government trying to govern the people they should be governing the government????

My friend, what is the main function of any government? I would suggest it is the governments primary job to govern the behavior of the governed.
And you would be wrong. As the user said, they should be worrying about taking care of the funtions of government. The function of government is not to govern us. Their duty, through our representatives, is to listen to the people and then use our tax money to implement certain policies which enable us to function as a society while continuing to govern ourselves. They are to see to the protection of the country. They are there to see to infrastructure. They are there to help us organize activities integral to the success of our nation. They are not there to rule us. Maybe you elect these men to govern you, I elect these men to aid me in my quest to live freely in a peaceful society. That is the job of our elected government. Only despots and tyrants desire to rule over their people. And this country does not tolerate dictators or kings. They are men elected by the people, for the people, to serve the people. Problem is, these days, these men think they are there to do what they think is best for us instead of listening to our voices. And that means, they have becomes usurpers of freedom in favor of a more totalitarian style. And that, my friends, is not what we have an elected government for.

Old 08-29-2009, 01:19 PM

23,206 posts, read 26,430,620 times
Did ya' ever wonder just what it is they do do to represent us?

"Last year, the House and Senate introduced more than 8,300 bills and resolutions. Of those, 174, or about 2 percent, became law.
The average was slightly better in the 108th Congress when the president signed 4 percent of more than 9,900 bills.
Political advertising
Some lawmakers say they know full well many of their bills have little chance of passing from the outset.
So why even bother?
``It's called political advertising,'' said Mann of the Brookings Institute. ``It's a way of showing concern for issues. It's about members showing their interest in dealing with problems they think their constituents are concerned about.''
MANY BILLS BUT FEW LAWS CONGRESS MEMEBERS FINAGLE INSTEAD OF PUSHING FOR A VOTE. - Free Online Library

Old 08-29-2009, 01:25 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,355,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Did ya' ever wonder just what it is they do do to represent us?

"Last year, the House and Senate introduced more than 8,300 bills and resolutions. Of those, 174, or about 2 percent, became law.
The average was slightly better in the 108th Congress when the president signed 4 percent of more than 9,900 bills.
Political advertising
Some lawmakers say they know full well many of their bills have little chance of passing from the outset.
So why even bother?
``It's called political advertising,'' said Mann of the Brookings Institute. ``It's a way of showing concern for issues. It's about members showing their interest in dealing with problems they think their constituents are concerned about.''
MANY BILLS BUT FEW LAWS CONGRESS MEMEBERS FINAGLE INSTEAD OF PUSHING FOR A VOTE. - Free Online Library

so they can send around the flyer at election time, "Working hard in Washington to protect your freedoms/speak for you/make YOUR voice heard/ensure a better future for ALL [state residents]....."

Old 08-29-2009, 01:43 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,272,262 times
My biggest concern is how divided the country has become over the last several decades

I wouldn't agree that the country has become more divided, just more aware. The media no longer has the ability to control the discourse and has been exposed for the fraud it always has been. Of course, that just enriches the conversation of the government seizing control of the internet in the event of some national crisis.

Peh. It's the people that will solve any crisis. Not this friggin abusive federal government. And the media won't be a part of the resolution, nor the discourse.

Old 08-29-2009, 02:09 PM

10,654 posts, read 18,747,392 times
FYI - this article is from 1985 and has been modified and should not be attributed to Charlie Reese.

Old 08-29-2009, 02:14 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,607,422 times
Unfortunately, the valuable contributions made by modern media are at least in part overwhelmed by the entrée they have allowed to deliberate disinformation and other forms of absolute rubbish that in days gone by would never have made it past any editor's desk.

A poster above was completely convinced that Congress does not pay into Social Security and has some cushy system all their own under which they are vested in one year and then collect their full salaries for the rest of their lives. This is complete and utter hogwash. There is no factual basis that could have been dredged up anywhere to suggest such a situation, yet the belief has been planted and it has taken root. Only a few decades ago, such deception could not have happened except in the rarest and most extreme of cases...

Old 08-29-2009, 03:09 PM

31,384 posts, read 37,267,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
And you would be wrong. As the user said, they should be worrying about taking care of the funtions of government.
How absurd!

Quote:
The function of government is not to govern us. Their duty, through our representatives, is to listen to the people and then use our tax money to implement certain policies which enable us to function as a society while continuing to govern ourselves.
Which is precisely what we authorize the government to do.

Quote:
They are to see to the protection of the country.
And how pray tell does it do this? Well for starters, it establishes a national criminal code, which protects us (read govern) from those who counterfeit money, it protects us from security fraud, the kidnapping our loved one's, from being denied housing, employment and voting due to race, color, religion or ethnicity, just for starters.

It also protects workers, through its legislative and executive powers, from undue exposed to unhealthy and unsafe working conditions, it protects us from contaminated the food supply or dangerous drugs. The government keeps the unqualified from flying aircraft, manufactures who would make unsafe vehicles, it protects us from polluted water and air that we collectively uses, in short it governs our behavior so that we can indeed all live together with some degree of harmony.

In short it governs the behaviors of the governed (read; you and me).

Quote:
They are there to help us organize activities integral to the success of our nation.
Surely you aren't going to suggest that any of the above is unnecessary to insure the success of the nation, or are you?

Quote:
Only despots and tyrants desire to rule over their people. And this country does not tolerate dictators or kings.
Which is precisely why our form of government was devised in the first place.

Quote:
They are men elected by the people, for the people, to serve the people. Problem is, these days, these men think they are there to do what they think is best for us instead of listening to our voices.
Serving the people does not mean, nor was it ever intended to mean that elected representatives were to be devoid of following their own conscience, principles, or ideals and to only enact legislation after receiving the latest polling data. The "people's" voices are registered during Constitutionally mandated periods, where one can cast one's vote regarding how a particular elected leader has used their conscience, principles or ideals to further the people's interest.

Based upon this unfounded tirade, I suspect that the problem isn't that the people's voices aren't being heard, just the voices of the people who lost during the last round of elections. In short, it is you my friend who are the despot and the tyrant, it is you and many like you who have decided that the voice of the minority should be the only voice given weight, not that of the democratic (small D) majority.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies