Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2009, 03:11 PM

18,359 posts, read 26,547,146 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
The 100 mile diet would be the best thing for this planet, not to mention local economies.
Yeah, but I guess that's why the feds want NAIS, that new bill regulating food production, etc. Got to keep control of this country's food in the hands of the big companies like monsatan and in turn the government...they don't want that to happen (so forget them, I'll grow my own...).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2009, 03:13 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,210,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Not entirely possible in a lot of this country. Most food is shipped thousands of miles. Most of my vegetables come from close by, but grains? Nope, not enough grown around here...particularly wheat and rice. In Alaska and elsewhere in the far North...a grain and vegetable based diet simply doesn't work because of the climate...
Oh, good God.

How many times do I have to repeat that hunting isn't bad if it's your only feasible means of living?

Quote:
And have you also considered how many animals have died directly and indirectly to farm and grow those vegetables and grains? More than if you hunt or fish for your own food.
I call you on this one. I'd like you to elucidate and provide some figures.

Old 03-20-2009, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
I call you on this one. I'd like you to elucidate and provide some figures.
That will never be possible to know precisely but the numbers are astronomical. When you consider all the habitat that has been destroyed to make room for farmland, killing most of the animals that once lived there, and preventing future generations of those animals from living there, combined with all the animals killed because they are pests to farms (ongoing), it's a very high number...most of the extinctions and/or extirpations of animals have been caused by that. For instance, my home state of Vermont, by the early 1900's, was around 70 percent cleared for farmland. Deer, fishers, wolves, martens and elk were all wiped out. Moose and bears and some others came close to being wiped out. You can repeat this story in most states in this country that became big farm states...

Old 03-20-2009, 03:20 PM

4,574 posts, read 7,511,723 times
I see this as more of an "animal genocide".

Old 03-20-2009, 03:23 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,824,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
I lived in the Mexican jungles on and off for six months and never killed a single living thing. They do sell organically raised meat and poultry that are raised free range and under humane conditions if one simply must eat meat.
I'm not trying to initiate a spiteful dialogue. I am seeking to understand how meat and poultry that is raised free range and under humane conditions could be superior to harvested wild game.

To me, the most "organic", free-range and humanely raised meat, poultry and fish available is that harvested wild off the hoof, out of the air or from the water. These animals have lived their lives exactly the way nature intended without hormones, without emasculation, without fences, without commercial feed or any other meddling at the hands of humans (aside from that bullet, shot, hook or arrow, of course).

Also, your body is designed to eat meat. We certainly are not "supercarnivores" like felines, but you and I are more similar morphologically to bears and canines than to ruminants or other true herbivores. Humans are supposed to be opportunistic omnivores; you get by on whatever you can find between meat meals. Our teeth and jaws are the biggest clue, the form follows the function of breaking down soft, rich foods. Not built for grazing. Neither is your gut. Your stomach pH, while higher than tooth and claw hunters, is considerably lower than any frugivore, insectivore or herbivore and your intestines are shorter. You evolved that pH to break down fats and animal tissues and your intestines shortened because you didn't need to work as hard to extract nutrition from meat as you would from greenery.

Women on vegan diets can often have interruptions in the menstrual cycle. That diet tricks the body into thinking "hey, times are bad and we're starving. We can't afford to support an infant. Shut down." That's not natural.

Anyway, I just can't agree that any prepped meat in a store could ever hold a candle to something I prepped myself.

Old 03-20-2009, 03:26 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,847,469 times
Quote:
Oh, good God.

How many times do I have to repeat that hunting isn't bad if it's your only feasible means of living?
It isn't you. Some of us who live or who have lived an extremely rural lifestyle can be a bit frustrated with those who say that we are murderers (and again, I haven't seen you post that). When I'm in Alaska, I would be horribly unhealthy if I had to depend on the local grocery store for food.

Old 03-20-2009, 04:36 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,678,535 times
[quote=arctichomesteader;7975431]That will never be possible to know precisely but the numbers are astronomical. When you consider all the habitat that has been destroyed to make room for farmland, killing most of the animals that once lived there, and preventing future generations of those animals from living there, combined with all the animals killed because they are pests to farms (ongoing), it's a very high number...most of the extinctions and/or extirpations of animals have been caused by that. For instance, my home state of Vermont, by the early 1900's, was around 70 percent cleared for farmland. Deer, fishers, wolves, martens and elk were all wiped out. Moose and bears and some others came close to being wiped out. You can repeat this story in most states in this country that became big farm states...[/quote

That is terrible. All these poor wild animals wiped out!

Old 03-20-2009, 04:57 PM

18,162 posts, read 15,669,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Allow me to reiterate....Sport/Trophy hunting. Survival does not come under either of those.
You specified trophy hunting but you also blanketed ALL hunting and hunters as being intellectually challenged blah blaah etc etc. Not JUST trophy hunters. You specified one statement and then fell into generalizations. But then again, I'm one of those 'intellectually challenged" hunter types after all

Old 03-20-2009, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerzgrl View Post
That is terrible. All these poor wild animals wiped out!
VT has improved quite a bit, though at the expense of agriculture: the state is now roughly 70 percent forested. Deer, fisher and some other animals have made a comeback quite well, they're abundant enough to allow hunting. Moose and bears are doing quite well, also allowing hunting (though with moose, limited by a lottery to get a permit). Martens not so good, there was an effort at re-introduction in the early 90's but they mostly didn't survive, although there have been some sightings in recent years so maybe they'll come back...elk are still gone with no plans to change that, same with wolves...coyotes have been added, they came on their own, a non-native species...they liked the farmland, eating livestock...

But, it shows the price of agriculture...

Old 03-20-2009, 06:15 PM

27,625 posts, read 21,172,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
I'm not trying to initiate a spiteful dialogue. I am seeking to understand how meat and poultry that is raised free range and under humane conditions could be superior to harvested wild game.

To me, the most "organic", free-range and humanely raised meat, poultry and fish available is that harvested wild off the hoof, out of the air or from the water. These animals have lived their lives exactly the way nature intended without hormones, without emasculation, without fences, without commercial feed or any other meddling at the hands of humans (aside from that bullet, shot, hook or arrow, of course).

Also, your body is designed to eat meat. We certainly are not "supercarnivores" like felines, but you and I are more similar morphologically to bears and canines than to ruminants or other true herbivores. Humans are supposed to be opportunistic omnivores; you get by on whatever you can find between meat meals. Our teeth and jaws are the biggest clue, the form follows the function of breaking down soft, rich foods. Not built for grazing. Neither is your gut. Your stomach pH, while higher than tooth and claw hunters, is considerably lower than any frugivore, insectivore or herbivore and your intestines are shorter. You evolved that pH to break down fats and animal tissues and your intestines shortened because you didn't need to work as hard to extract nutrition from meat as you would from greenery.

Women on vegan diets can often have interruptions in the menstrual cycle. That diet tricks the body into thinking "hey, times are bad and we're starving. We can't afford to support an infant. Shut down." That's not natural.

Anyway, I just can't agree that any prepped meat in a store could ever hold a candle to something I prepped myself.
I think that we are kind of coming from different points here. I'm not advocating for anyone to become vegetarian, although, different people do have varying dietary needs. I know all about the need for protien and how a vegetarian would have to make allowances to replace nutrients and minerals that meat readily supplies. I only seafood, eggs or poultry once a week and I have managed to stay fit and healthy. I am totally against trophy/sport hunting. Unless it is a matter of survival, I feel that picking up a gun or an arrow and aiming it at an animal takes a particular kind of person if that person is doing it for fun. That kind of person has a lack of empathy, sympathy or respect for living things. If they do not see the inhumanity in this to call it sport or fun and to hang a head of something that was once vibrant and beautiful on their wall, then this is a flaw in their character.

Last edited by sickofnyc; 03-20-2009 at 06:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies