Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 10:06 PM

712 posts, read 1,366,568 times

Advertisements

Think about it for a minute. How free are you? This is the land of the free right? Let me make you think about that for a bit.

Can you smoke in any restaurant that you want? Can you go for a walk with a beer in your hand? Can you decide not to go to high school? Can you decide not to pay taxes? Can you say whatever you want without being punished somehow? What happens if you don't go to work tomorrow or for a whole week, what about a month? What if your wife makes up a story that you hit her? What if someone decides to acuse you of stealing something? Can you take a fast train from Los Angeles to New York without having to spend $2000 on a plane ticket? We pay taxes, but have NO control of what is done with our money. We now pay 9/11 fees for every plane ticket! Why do speedometers on cars go 120MPH and beyond if we cant drive past 55/60MPH in most states? We watch TV and we are forced to see commercials, integrated marketing.. all the time, it's all buy, buy, buy. Can you NOT take off your shoes at the security check in the airport? Plus, holidays are for you to spend money!! Can you buy marijuana at the store?

From the minute we are born we are in the "system". As babies we are tagged (given a social security number), processed with paperwork, docs etc. Soon after we have to go to school. There is no choice in the matter. We start in Kindergarten, we are expect to "adapt" to a schedule, being responsible, being polite to others, learning rules.

In the 1st and 2nd grade, yes we learn the basics of math and alphabet, that's the only useful thing we actually need in life. The rest is a waste as we are learning about shapes, colors, presidents, countries all that crap. For what? Just makes good conversation that's all. Years go by, 3rd,4th,5th and 6th... all the way to 12th where we expected to graduate from high school. Eventually we can learn the same things on our own that school forces you to learn.

So then what? We are stuck working at McDonalds or a supermarket. Unless you are lucky enough to get something better, known someone, etc. How is knowing all the presidents or solving algebra problems going to make you big money at this stage?

You cant, you are not done suffering, we now have to now continue in the system, get in debt (unless your parents have money) and go to college. Years go by in college and we graduate, lets say just 4 year undergraduate. Now what? Who is going to hire you with no experience? If they do its for very little pay. Plus, now you are stuck with student loans you have no choice but to repay.

You take a stab, maybe get a job somewhere but now you "belong" to an employer. You have to do what they say, when they want it how they want it. You cant do whatever you want. Again, unless you are lucky and land a certain job that has a very relaxed policy.

But none of this matters, we still HAVE to follow the rules of the system if we want to have money, have food, shelter, etc. Right? But it will take up most of your life. You will be a slave to someone else for their business. Working at least 40 hours a day, 5 days a week for a long, long time. Doesn't matter how glamorous your job is, you will have to do it for many years.

So how are we "free" if we have to follow a set path from day 1, that is to be part of a system and have no alternatives?

Dont take this as being pessimistic. But in truth, the only thing we all have to keep us sane is friends, family and love. So we are free in the sense that we are free to follow the set rules, the laws. Does it feel good to be alive, sure it does! But we are far from being free in the USA.

Last edited by Negotiator75; 03-04-2009 at 10:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2009, 10:15 PM

367 posts, read 1,023,718 times
we are free to complain. we have freedoms many others don't have. sure we have laws and rules imposed but are they meant to hinder us or protect the freedom of all? it's an ever changing world and what freedom means to us today is completely different from what our founding fathers had in mind. still, we enjoy freedoms others can only hope for

Old 03-04-2009, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladihawkae View Post
we are free to complain.
If you complain about things then you are quickly labeled by others. Especially if you complain about the government. You will be quickly accused of being a communist or an anarchist. Silly, I know but it is true.

Quote:
we enjoy freedoms others can only hope for
Like what? I think this is a good point, how are we free?

Old 03-04-2009, 10:34 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,040,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Negotiator75 View Post
Think about it for a minute.

I was going to comment on this, but then I realized that I wasn't actually that bored after all. So, instead I'll go and clean the bathroom or watch an indoor plant bloom... or.....

Old 03-04-2009, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I was going to comment on this, but then I realized that I wasn't actually that bored after all. So, instead I'll go and clean the bathroom or watch an indoor plant bloom... or.....
You weren't bored when you made 2,770+ posts? That's because you know I am right.

Old 03-04-2009, 10:41 PM

1,031 posts, read 1,314,187 times
Quote:
we have freedoms many others don't have.
This is far from the truth. Many countries in Europe are freer than we are.

Old 03-04-2009, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nietzschean Gangsta View Post
This is far from the truth. Many countries in Europe are freer than we are.
Yes! Finally someone that has brains replied! Thank you.

Old 03-04-2009, 10:45 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
yes it is. but as to your post
is that all there is? peggy lee sing it!!

Old 03-04-2009, 10:49 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,040,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Negotiator75 View Post
You weren't bored when you made 2,770+ posts? That's because you know I am right.
Oh, yes I was!

Old 03-04-2009, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Oh, yes I was!
OK, apparently you love plants and bathrooms more than this post. So how long can you watch your plant grow? What if you wanted that plant to be a marijuana plant? Are you free to grow one in your clean bathroom?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies