Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 09:10 AM

1,843 posts, read 2,373,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Personally;I started felling that way during the Vietnam war. That is when i saw a great change in this country. We went from a country that people would sacrifice for their country to one that most want others to sacrifice but not them. They reverse what JFK said;ask not what your country can do for you;but what you can do for your century.Now its what can I get out of my country without doing anything.

There ya go! I put this question to a very old lady I knew (in her 90's). "Just when did everything start to go to blazes?" This was in the 1980's. She had first come to Jackson County to teach in a one room schoolhouse. Her oldest students were older than her. She'd seen quite a bit.

Her answer was

Quote:
"When the boys came home from WWII. Before then people were willing to wait their turn, let the other person speak without interrupting, showed respect for an older person, or someone with a title, or the opposite gender. When the boys came home, they didn't want to stand in line anymore. Everything became Me first! Take what you want if you can. Walk right over somebody in your way. Shout down the other guy if you want to talk."
I like her answer, but yours is a good one Dave, and I have my own of course. We lost something money can't buy and diminished the quality of life for all. It isn't likely we'll ever get it back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2009, 09:12 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,846,981 times
ST - You would not recognise the truth if it slapped you upside the head. You are in your own world. I hope you enjoy it in there.

Old 02-18-2009, 09:31 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,950,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
It really doesn't help to make a scapegoat out of any president.

I am older now and I remember my mother being very upset when Kennedy became president. I was too young to vote at that time and I now realize most students get a liberal brainwashing and I was no different. Add to that the media thought he was wonderful and told us how wonderful he was just as they are doing with Obama now.

As I said before, the president is not the problem. Greed, selfishness, ignorance, and drug abused brains are a few of the problems. Then we come to schools who have students that do not come to school to learn and keep the other students from learning by disrupting the classes. Too many children are raised by day cares where you have to join together and be part of the group and heaven forbid that you have an indepentent thought. That would lead to punishment.

Then when a mother wants to stay home and be a homemaker she is not allowed to because so much is taken out of her husband's paycheck to pay for all those who have children without getting married and expect the government to take care of them.

The end result is a lot of people who don't know how to think for themselves and follow after the crowd and whatever is popular at the moment. This leads to people like Bush, Jr. and Obama being so popular when they first get elected and then so unpopular when they fail because no one else was minding the store.

What we need are some senators and house members who have the courage to stand up for what is right whether that is what everybody else is saying or not. But you know what happens to them--they lose the election the next time around.

This is a government of the people by the people and for the people and the problems we are facing today are of our own making. We have met the enemy and it is us.
Well said NCN. Very well said.

Old 02-18-2009, 09:35 AM

220 posts, read 676,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
I agree.

I think back to the Clinton years and miss them. I am like "You know..no worries about terrorists...good economy...a president who cared about people.."

I felt safer than ever and truly felt American. After everything Bush was let off for (Killing people, war...etc..etc), I wonder the same.

I love your posts. Just said that in the other thread!
The terrorists attacks were planned while Clinton was in the White House, open your eyes for once!!!

Old 02-18-2009, 11:05 AM

2,667 posts, read 6,787,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
ST - You would not recognise the truth if it slapped you upside the head.
That might be the one universal truth that exists in this world

Old 02-18-2009, 11:17 AM

2,476 posts, read 2,606,610 times
The left is a joke and a disaster.
Today I thought I would have a laugh and listen to Sat. Radio Left...and this nut who MC's was say how Hugo "the crack pot" Chavez was a good thing for Venezuela.
I ll say it again...The left is a disaster....
Oh and keep borrowing ..to help us get out of debt.

Old 02-18-2009, 11:52 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,316,110 times
Quote:
I agree.

I think back to the Clinton years and miss them. I am like "You know..no worries about terrorists...good economy...a president who cared about people.."
A few months ago I found a journal that I kept in the 90's. In '97 I devoted pages to my paranoia and expectations of terrorist attacks, and also made note of all the businesses in the local area that were shutting down. The economy here was already was plunging into the crapper and Osama Bin Ladin was already busy with his conspiracies, which Clinton was well-aware of but chose to ignore. On top of that he signed NAFTA at the end of his term.

So, no, I don't share the same warm cozy feeling about the Clinton administration that you do.

Old 02-18-2009, 11:08 PM

2,476 posts, read 2,606,610 times
Well said..Bluesbabe

Old 02-18-2009, 11:33 PM

839 posts, read 983,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostdestroyedlife View Post
I just knew after W got re-appointed in 04 things would never be the same, I voted for Obama but I dont get the sense he is my president, like America has been forever tainted after the Bush administration, maybe it is because there is strong evidence the Bush administration stole both elections or maybe something else, I am angry and bitter, I use to like America and like being an American, I am angry at the Bush administration for taking that away, I hope they get some type of punishment some day
While I think you and I agree that Bush was one of the worst presidents our country has had, it seems as if you believe that Bush somehow stole America's innocence. The US, like virtually every country, has a long and dirty history. After all, we live in a country which had to descend into civil war to end slavery and which had to undergo a century of segregation before extending legal equality to African-Americans. We live in a country which has instigated coups against democratic governments the world over, a country which has propped up and funded ruthless dictators. We live in a country that gave us Nixon, a country which placed the Japanese in internment camps. I could go on and on. My point is that you notion that Bush somehow irreparably tainted us is unfounded. I'm damn happy to be an American, but I recognize that our country has engaged in reprehensible behavior virtually since its founding.

Old 02-18-2009, 11:48 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,562,595 times
Quote:
I agree.

I felt safer than ever and truly felt American. After everything Bush was let off for (Killing people, war...etc..etc), I wonder the same.

I love your posts. Just said that in the other thread!
What a joke this post is. 1993 World Trade Center bombing, Kobar Towers bombing killing Air Force service personel, USS Cole, two US Embassies in Africa and you say no worries about terrorist. Clinton didn't care about people, he cared about himself and his own sexual needs. He was good at acting like he cared.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies