Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 03:56 AM

26,713 posts, read 41,919,338 times

Advertisements

washingtonpost.com

Quote:
When the officer asked for her driver's license, Dominguez said, she realized that she'd left it at home after changing out of her work clothing. The officer wrote a citation for Dominguez and was able to confirm through a police database that Dominguez has a valid Virginia driver's license, Mathews said.

Dominguez said that when she refused to sign the citation, the officer ordered her out of the car. He repeated the command, then sprayed a chemical agent in her face, she said.
Not excusing the officer's actions (two sides to every story), but not having your license on you and refusing to sign a ticket are not good signs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2009, 05:34 AM

21,116 posts, read 42,245,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
washingtonpost.com

Not excusing the officer's actions (two sides to every story), but not having your license on you and refusing to sign a ticket are not good signs.
It sounds to me that Dominguez resisted in some manner and brought the 'assault' upon herself.

Old 02-05-2009, 12:25 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,632,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
It sounds to me that Dominguez resisted in some manner and brought the 'assault' upon herself.
Are you admitting the officer assaulted her? An officer is not allowed to assault anyone. They can use necessary force to arrest and they can defend themselves but an assault is an assault and police are not above the law.

I read the story, looks like the officer has a ton of explaining to do.

Edit: This is the same police department that beat and tazed a young black man (who was already on the ground and cuffed) not too long ago. Seems like a pattern.

Old 02-05-2009, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarrio View Post
Are you admitting the officer assaulted her? An officer is not allowed to assault anyone. They can use necessary force to arrest and they can defend themselves but an assault is an assault and police are not above the law.

I read the story, looks like the officer has a ton of explaining to do.

Edit: This is the same police department that beat and tazed a young black man (who was already on the ground and cuffed) not too long ago. Seems like a pattern.
You may want to take the Post's version of the story with a grain of salt. The Washington Post seems to have a beef with Prince William County. Especially when immigration is involved.

I don't think AzBear admitted that it was an assault. See the quotation marks. It appears the officer used the necessary force to arrest the woman (remember if someone refuses to sign a ticket that is an arrestable offense) and the only reason to use force is if someone is resisting. The woman could have prevented this by learning English and knowing that signing a ticket is not an admission of guilt.

I want to see the dashcam and then well find out the truth but it does not look like this woman has a good case. Even by the press release from the police department.

Quote:
Date of Release: 020409

Type of Offense: Resist Arrest

Dates of Occurrence: 020209 1828

Vehicles Involved:

Suspects:

Arrests:

A traffic stop was initiated, at the intersection of Manassas Drive and Mathis Avenue, on a vehicle with defective equipment. The female operator of the vehicle was arrested for Defective Equipment, No Drivers License in Possession, and Resisting Arrest after refusing to sign the traffic summons. The officer and the suspect sustained minor injuries as a result of the incident. The female operator was treated at Prince William Hospital and released. A court date of March 12, 2009, is pending. An internal investigation will be conducted into the incident.
http://www.manassasparkpolice.com/press_release.htm

Old 02-05-2009, 01:11 PM

5,402 posts, read 12,697,188 times
this can be seen as a case of police brutality, why is it in immigration?

Old 02-05-2009, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
This woman does not speak english (a major immigration related issue) and the area it is in is currently in an illegal immigration crackdown that has gotten nationwide coverage. This woman even said "they can't all treat us like this." i think this merits placement in the immigration forum.

Old 02-05-2009, 01:39 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,672,236 times
Hmmm.......

Clearly the police overreacted to her. Unless the video from the police car shows that she attacked the cop (which I doubt), there is no reason for her to have a black eye and bloody scrapes on her forehead. Imo, to say the cop over reacted is an understatement. Policemen/women who are unable to control their tempers have no right to hold the badge. It reminds me of all the 'roid rage stories we used to hear so much about.
Anyways, I will be interested to see the tape of the assault.

Now here is where it gets dicey ---- I am in no way condoning the attack but why on Earth is this woman allowed to drive when she cannot speak (and therefore yes I am assuming cannot read) English? Yes, many road signs are pictoral in nature so that an idiot can figure it out, but now there are many electronic signs that are 'word' only. How would she know if there was emergency road work ahead? How would she know to merge left suddenly if she cannot read those signs?
I again say that if I lived and worked in a foreign country I would learn the damn language! Regardless of my immigration status. If you don't want to be treated like 'animals' then learn how to communicate effectively with the citizenry and most especially the law enforcement. Do not expect all law enforcement to learn Spanish because you refuse to learn English.
But you know that follow ups to this story will have every cop, every emergency worker and every beurocrat in that county being forced to learn Spanish so that immigrants don't have to learn English. And yes, that does **** me off to no end.

Old 02-05-2009, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
I believe it is in immigration because the victim of the attack blames it on being an immigrant and being treated like an 'animal' because of it.

Old 02-05-2009, 01:52 PM

68 posts, read 147,407 times
Aw c'mon, "the one," brutality? You serious? This was likely just a stupid tussle. The latina women in this area (DC metro) tend to be tough specimens. You'd be crazy to mess with any of them.

This is PWC Va., not CA or FL.

In Maryland and Virginia, things like this don't tend to escalate to race rioting like in L.A.
Somebody (ACLU, immigrants activist group) is obviously trying to make a big test case out of this.

Old 02-05-2009, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanAnomie View Post
Aw c'mon, "the one," brutality? You serious? This was likely just a stupid tussle. The latina women in this area (DC metro) tend to be tough specimens. You'd be crazy to mess with any of them.

This is PWC Va., not CA or FL.

In Maryland and Virginia, things like this don't tend to escalate to race rioting like in L.A.
Somebody (ACLU, immigrants activist group) is obviously trying to make a big test case out of this.
If those injuries to her face were caused by the cop then yeah....that is police brutality. If that is how she looked prior to the incidence....well, lets see the tape.
I for one have no doubt that there are 'bad' cops out there, and bad cops tend to be cowards. Who better to beat up on then a woman, right? It has happened before, and no doubt will happen again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies