Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 12:52 PM

4,183 posts, read 6,530,786 times

Advertisements

Those of you who oppose big government, what size of government would make you happy? What's the ideal size of government? Would no government be good enough?

I've been to countries with no functioning government. You wouldn't like to live there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2009, 02:03 PM

5,562 posts, read 5,689,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
Those of you who oppose big government, what size of government would make you happy? What's the ideal size of government? Would no government be good enough?

I've been to countries with no functioning government. You wouldn't like to live there.

Cut the federal government in half first all departments.
Cut the miltary bases in most of the countries, ie, japan, germany, france no reason for us to be there we are wasting money. we have over 700 bases? Why?
Even if you cut the back to the levels of the year 2000 we would still be in good shape to start cutting back over time.
We overspend and spend and spend with no results.
Roads, highways, schools and police, fireman are state funded and locally funded not federal.
Remove the federal income tax period and make the capital gains tax 15%.
The government doesnt run our economy nor doesnt it run most of americans needs and lives. In fact it usally gets in the way.
Legalize most drugs but make the punishment in breaking a law while on drugs extreme. Make people responsible for their actions sober or intoxicated.
Make Gold and Silver legal tender again to go in hand with the Federal reserve note.

Small government is freedom and liberty.
Big Government is the illusion of safety and the chains that will enslave you to it.

Old 02-04-2009, 02:53 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,785,489 times
The right amount of government is that which allows me to rob others but doesn't allow others to rob me.

Old 02-04-2009, 02:55 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,599,751 times
Quote:
There's a very large continuum of government. There is a lot of room between "big government" and anarchy.

Quote:
Nope. You probably wouldn't like a totalitarian government either.

Old 02-04-2009, 02:59 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,359,784 times
For every complex problem there is a solution which is straightforward, simple, and wrong.

H. L. Mencken

Old 02-04-2009, 03:12 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,569,595 times
I'd be willing to cut government by 75%, PROVIDED I could be sure we'd get rid of about half our present population, and replace them with a higher caliber of folks. For the "newbies" coming in, I'd INSIST on ethics, personal responsibility, the ability to value 'society as a whole' over tribe, race, or family group; the willingness to stop worrying about 'what's in it for me', and to instead worry about 'how can I help, and what can I do'. I'd like people who believed in self-control for THEMSELVES, rather than "government control" of OTHERS. I'd like people capable of experiencing pride in themselves, TEMPERED with the ability to experience shame and guilt, when that was neccessary.

Give me all THAT, and I'll be willing to cut government by 75% or MORE. How this could be accomplished, I haven't the slightest idea. Until it is, though, I'm reluctant to cut government TOO much...we need SOMEONE to blame, and government is a handy 'target'.

Old 02-04-2009, 04:36 PM

898 posts, read 1,404,435 times
Quote:

Read the Constitution. A general government limited to doing only what is specifically permitted by the constitution, and not a damn thing more, is what LIBERTY demands.

The general government has been massively increasing its power since the days of FDR. It is high time the states rose up and raised their collective middle fingers to Washington, D.C. and put those congress rats in their place.

I would propose two changes to the U.S. constitution.

I would amend the Second Amendment as follows:

Every citizen has the right to bear arms. Congress shall make no laws or regulations that in anyway may be taken to restrict the ownership, possession, or carrying of arms.

Every citizen has the right to defend himself and his property.

After that, I would suggest that the 16th amendment be repealed.

Old 02-04-2009, 04:40 PM

898 posts, read 1,404,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyandJusticeforAll View Post
Cut the federal government in half first all departments.
Cut the miltary bases in most of the countries, ie, japan, germany, france no reason for us to be there we are wasting money. we have over 700 bases? Why?
Even if you cut the back to the levels of the year 2000 we would still be in good shape to start cutting back over time.
We overspend and spend and spend with no results.
Roads, highways, schools and police, fireman are state funded and locally funded not federal.
Remove the federal income tax period and make the capital gains tax 15%.
The government doesnt run our economy nor doesnt it run most of americans needs and lives. In fact it usally gets in the way.
Legalize most drugs but make the punishment in breaking a law while on drugs extreme. Make people responsible for their actions sober or intoxicated.
Make Gold and Silver legal tender again to go in hand with the Federal reserve note.

Small government is freedom and liberty.
Big Government is the illusion of safety and the chains that will enslave you to it.
I would disagree with a couple of points. First of all, the constitution does give the federal government the power to establish postal roads.

Second of all, the federal reserve should be abolished. In no way should a bank have any say over our money supply. The establishment and regulation of a currency was duty entrusted by the founders, when they established the general government with the second constitution, to the congress.

Article 1 Section 8
The Congress shall have power ... To coin money, regulate the value thereof, and of foreign coin, and fix the standard of weights and measures;

Old 02-04-2009, 04:41 PM

9,059 posts, read 12,984,581 times
The childish notion that government cuts implies anarchy (as per the title) really shines on this thread.

Old 02-04-2009, 04:47 PM

4,183 posts, read 6,530,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melinuxfool View Post
Read the Constitution. A general government limited to doing only what is specifically permitted by the constitution, and not a damn thing more, is what LIBERTY demands.

The general government has been massively increasing its power since the days of FDR. It is high time the states rose up and raised their collective middle fingers to Washington, D.C. and put those congress rats in their place.

I would propose two changes to the U.S. constitution.

I would amend the Second Amendment as follows:

Every citizen has the right to bear arms. Congress shall make no laws or regulations that in anyway may be taken to restrict the ownership, possession, or carrying of arms.

Every citizen has the right to defend himself and his property.

After that, I would suggest that the 16th amendment be repealed.
Seems like you are contradicting yourself. You say want to stick with only what is specifically permitted by the constitution. But then you also want to change the constitution to suit your pet causes. You can't have both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies