Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 12:06 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,687,683 times

Advertisements

When a nation stops caring for the less fortunate the fabric of that nation is starting to unravel on the downward path to anarchy.

"What would you do if you came across someone on the street that had not had anything to eat for several days? Would you give that person some food? Well, the next time you get that impulse you might want to check if it is still legal to feed the homeless where you live. Sadly, feeding the homeless has been banned in major cities all over America. Other cities that have not banned it outright have put so many requirements on those that want to feed the homeless (acquiring expensive permits, taking food preparation courses, etc.) that feeding the homeless has become "out of reach" for most average people. Some cities are doing these things because they are concerned about the "health risks" of the food being distributed by ordinary "do-gooders". Other cities are passing these laws because they do not want homeless people congregating in city centers where they know that they will be fed. But at a time when poverty and government dependence are soaring to unprecedented levels, is it really a good idea to ban people from helping those that are hurting?

This is just another example that shows that our country is being taken over by control freaks."

Feeding The Homeless BANNED In Major Cities All Over America
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2012, 12:11 PM

4,300 posts, read 4,410,771 times
In Granite City, Illinois, we had a food kitchen that was forced to close down because they didn't have a license to serve food. Churches (at least in this area) aren't allowed to give out sandwiches to the homeless either. The state wants to make sure that they are sole benefactor and that people need to go to them alone for a hand or a meal.

Old 03-22-2012, 12:14 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawg82 View Post
In Granite City, Illinois, we had a food kitchen that was forced to close down because they didn't have a license to serve food. Churches (at least in this area) aren't allowed to give out sandwiches to the homeless either. The state wants to make sure that they are sole benefactor and that people need to go to them alone for a hand or a meal.
I've seen and read about that as well. The government WANTS to own this issue. Even in schools..uneaten, unopened food from student trays MUST be thrown out. There are laws protecting us from "bad food" and these same laws see GOOD FOOD being thrown out.

Old 03-22-2012, 12:18 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,460,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
When a nation stops caring for the less fortunate the fabric of that nation is starting to unravel on the downward path to anarchy.

"What would you do if you came across someone on the street that had not had anything to eat for several days? Would you give that person some food? Well, the next time you get that impulse you might want to check if it is still legal to feed the homeless where you live. Sadly, feeding the homeless has been banned in major cities all over America. Other cities that have not banned it outright have put so many requirements on those that want to feed the homeless (acquiring expensive permits, taking food preparation courses, etc.) that feeding the homeless has become "out of reach" for most average people. Some cities are doing these things because they are concerned about the "health risks" of the food being distributed by ordinary "do-gooders". Other cities are passing these laws because they do not want homeless people congregating in city centers where they know that they will be fed. But at a time when poverty and government dependence are soaring to unprecedented levels, is it really a good idea to ban people from helping those that are hurting?

This is just another example that shows that our country is being taken over by control freaks."

Feeding The Homeless BANNED In Major Cities All Over America
I'm sorry. I'm callous.

They should not be fed in unsanitary conditions.

I don't believe in setting up public feeding stations and having them all line up and take free food.

And frankly, unless they're mentally ill, physically disabled, or elderly - they shouldn't be homeless on the street looking for handouts. And as difficult as it may be for some of you to understand, there are people who want to be on the streets.

Old 03-22-2012, 12:20 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,805,597 times
Not only must we shame the unfortunate we must starve them as well.

Old 03-22-2012, 12:21 PM

4,300 posts, read 4,410,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
I'm sorry. I'm callous.

They should not be fed in unsanitary conditions.

I don't believe in setting up public feeding stations and having them all line up and take free food.
You would feel different if you were the hungry & homeless one. These "stations" are manned and operated by people who want to help those who need it. Our intentions were not to give them week old bread or molded cheese sandwiches. Everyone hears of the one person or "feeding-trough" because the news networks love negativity, but they are an extreme minority. In your pessimism, you would deny the homeless a meal. Very cynical and a perfect example of throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

Old 03-22-2012, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawg82 View Post
You would feel different if you were the hunger & homeless one. These "stations" are manned and operated by people who want to help those who need it. Our intentions were not to give them week old bread or molded cheese sandwiches. Everyone hears of the one person or "feeding-trough" because the news networks love negativity, but they are an extreme minority. In your pessimism, you would deny the homeless a meal. Very cynical and a perfect example of throwing the baby out with the bathwater.
Actually, I give money to the Union Rescue Mission because I don't believe in feeding people on the streets.

For those homeless who are so inclined to partake of a free meal.

Union Rescue Mission - The Way Home

I don't give money to people asking for handouts in front of the grocery store, or people I pass on the streets with cups in their hands.

If someone needs something they should motivate themselves to seek help, not a damn handout.

If I was hungry and homeless I would go to a shelter.

Old 03-22-2012, 12:23 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,687,683 times
Quote:

And frankly, unless they're mentally ill, physically disabled, or elderly - they shouldn't be homeless looking for handouts.
I invite you to research the causes of homelessness since your current education level on that subject is woefully lacking.

Old 03-22-2012, 12:29 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
Actually, I give money to the Union Rescue Mission because I don't believe in feeding people on the streets.

For those homeless who are so inclined to partake of a free meal.

Union Rescue Mission - The Way Home

I don't give money to people asking for handouts in front of the grocery store, or people I pass on the streets with cups in their hands.

If someone needs something they should motivate themselves to seek help, not a damn handout.

If I was hungry and homeless I would go to a shelter.
Close to 40% of homeless have mental illness.
We closed down all the mental institutions because they were cruel and inhuman. So what happened to them all..they are now wandering the streets.

Old 03-22-2012, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
I invite you to research the causes of homelessness since your current education level on that subject is woefully lacking.
Again, I'm going to be blunt.

I don't care.

I said, that unless they're mentally ill, elderly or physically disabled, they should not be homeless.

I will continue to send my donations to the Union Rescue Mission for those homeless who are motivated to get off the street because those people really need help, not the bums hanging out harassing people for handouts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies