Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 06:56 AM

673 posts, read 4,068,929 times

Advertisements

That seems similar to the slippery slope argument about that if we leave now other countries will think we are weak and then they wont take us seriously.

But is it worth all the lives that are being lost in Iraq and the 5 billion dollars a month being spent there (at least) just to prove we arent a weak country?

I think other countries already think we are weak based on the leader of this countries in-ability to go into Iraq with a plan that didnt get us trapped in Iraq for what is now going 4 years.

What could be weaker then not evaulating the possible ramifications of ousting a dictator such as once the dictator was ousted that a civil war could potentially erupt?

I think they should cut back on the troops and send some of them home first and if the violence doesnt escalate that much they should consider with-drawling.

I think increasing the number of troops suggests that we are in Iraq for the long haul.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2007, 07:06 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,880,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattDen View Post
I was wondering if the troops should come back home instead of staying in that unwinnable civil war in Iraq?
Ahh the weekly Iraq topic. YAWN! This is not a new question, so I offer no new response.
Oh goodie, we get to see 5 pages of Bush hate posts - with no solutions and no coherent debate.

Message to original poster MattDean - I see you starting alot of new topics in this forum. That's admirable and certainly your right. But you are retreading old ground that have been discussed hundreds of times before, and the issues are very broad - "how would you rate Bush", "what do you think of organized religion", "what do you think about Iraq". On top of that you color your original post with your opinion, nothing wrong with that but it skews the opinions you will get back.
If I may suggest - you get more intersting debate if you tackle a specific issue in your broad subject matter (i.e. - the impact of Iran on Iraq, etc), also address SOLUTIONS in your debate, or how to arrive at solutions. Certainly more interesting. The way you have it now, well, how will people responde to "How do you rate Bush"? You will get 5 pages of posts saying "Bush sucks", 5 pages of posts saying "Yeah but Pelosi and Clinton...", and how do you debate and discuss that? Just my humble opinions and observations for improving this forum.
Edit again - MattDen I take back some of above, I liked your "will Social conservative vote" and your medical insurance topics.

Last edited by Dd714; 03-09-2007 at 07:59 AM.. Reason: addition

Old 03-09-2007, 07:19 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,011,343 times
I simply think that we are in the midst of a larger battle within the Middle East itself, between those who desire modernity, and those who do not.
We are a prop. The more time we spend there, the easier it is for the ones who hate us, and what we represent, to consolidate and train even more troops, tribesmen, etc, against us, the infidel.
Better for us to be home.
I feel the USA is less safe now than it ever was after 9/11, and certainly less respected.

Old 03-09-2007, 08:51 AM

206 posts, read 938,709 times
I say bring the troops home, Iraq is a mess and our presence is only helping fuel the flames.

Old 03-09-2007, 09:18 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,160,220 times
I think that, beyond a nominal training force for the Iraqi soldiers, we should shift some of our less battle-weary resources to the Afghani-Pakistani border to go get Osama and his al-Qaeda lieutenants.

I believe that all we're doing now is delaying the inevitable: a Sunni-Shia civil war as well as a quasi-independent and oil-rich Kurdistan region that will make Turkey nervous.

If Saddam ever had WMDs, he had about 12 years to hide or dispose of them since the proverbial flesh wound that Bush Sr. gave him back in the day. Then again, considering what has happened now, I can almost understand HW's reluctance to effect regime change then.

Old 03-09-2007, 12:19 PM

2 posts, read 5,307 times
We should not pull our troops out of Iraq because that just proves that we are weak. I know that we have alot of fallen soldiers over the whole war in Iraq but we cannot stop something that we have started. Why would we start a war and promise Iraq a better way of life and a better government and just pull out and leave those who want us there and depend on us to protect them why would we abandon them. Besides if we did pull out it would ake the situation even worse. The USA is already hated by the easten world and this would just make it worse. I cant get into details but later I will right now I'm going to tend to my kids.

Old 03-09-2007, 04:35 PM

85 posts, read 283,619 times
bring them home let iraq get on with it

Old 03-09-2007, 04:52 PM

4,494 posts, read 7,479,782 times
Thumbs down Um....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Oh goodie, we get to see 5 pages of Bush hate posts - with no solutions and no coherent debate.

The way you have it now, well, how will people responde to "How do you rate Bush"? You will get 5 pages of posts saying "Bush sucks"......

Bush sucks!

Old 09-07-2007, 05:17 PM

1 posts, read 2,117 times
Default We should Pull Out!!

Ronald Reagan said before going into Vietnam that he would never pull out, and we lost 60,000 troops before he decided he was wrong... and admitted that he made a mistake by non understanding the irationality of Middle Eastern Politics. Bush needs to make that same move and pull out the troops. I am tired of his administration turning blindly at the American people and working with elitist in the media to try to manipulate peoples conception of this war. We are in an era of peak oil, and the only way to do this is for the American people to stand up to the Elitist and impeach those who deny us our rights, and expunge the ones who lobby corrupt ideas into our governing body.

Old 09-07-2007, 11:41 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,917,361 times
we already look bad for attacking iraq... so.. I think we owe the united nations a huge apalogy... and I think we need to educate the people of iraq.. that if they want their country.. they have to fight for it now.. we're not going to do it anymore... and if the taliban or whoever else takes it over.. then that is because that is what they wish.. or allowed... and we should accept that.. We don't have to agree with it.. but then we can focus more on defending ourselves.. and educating our kids.. and securing our borders..
The UN is probably not going to be too thrilled about having this mess dumped on their lap.. but is it fair for the american people to continue to fund a war.. where their kids are dying in.. and there is no positive outcome yet? sometimes being great involves stepping down.. and knowing when something isn't your battle anymore... it never should have been in the first place...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies