Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 06:34 AM

7,024 posts, read 11,473,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Get a clue! The reason most Americans don't take these jobs is that the glut of labor has driven the wages down so low that no American can pay his or her bills with them. They won't hire Americans anyway. I can go into any Arab-owned automotive repair shop with my years of experience, A1-8 and L1 ASE certifications, factory training and college credentials, professional affiliations and the rest but I'll never be offered a job because I'm an American. But if someone's cousin named Abdul drops by with no experience, training or certifications, he can have a job and work under the table using some other guy's certifications. Clinton had a similar plan to create jobs at the beginning of his first term because he wanted take credit for creating the economic recovery that had already begun before he took office. The jobs would have cost well in excess of $30K/yr in 1993 dollars. The discussion at the time was, why not simply give people $30K checks since no useful work was being done by the make-work jobs anyway? Want an economic recovery? Kick out the illegals.
Agreed. Those who have the delusional mindset of the poster you are addressing are the same people who are guilty of sitting around doing nothing to stop this invasion. They are also the ones who hire cheap illegal alien labor to: clean their toilets, mow their lawns and care for their kids.

Now that we are heading towards a depression, hopefully those who hire illegal aliens along with those who were too busy shopping and living above their financial means to help the rest of us fight against another amnesty, are awake and paying attention. By now even they should have finally realized that their actions along with the corporate crooks' have contributed greatly to this country's ongoing demise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2009, 06:40 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,603,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
As far as Jim Talent, Rick Santorum, and George Allen - they SHOULD have been defeated, and all their neanderthal kind with them. But that's the subject of a different thread.
At least that thread would belong in P&OC. This one pretty plainly deserves to be moved over to the General Psych Ward known as the Immigration subforum.

Old 01-11-2009, 07:48 AM

3,454 posts, read 7,443,805 times
1. Not Obama's fault. But if he were trying to solve the unemployment problem, letting illegals stay here to keep our jobs, is not a valid solution. "Creating" more jobs to try to employ Americans while allowing illegals to keep the others is appeasement, plain and simple.

2. Bush's administration did nothing to stop illegal immigration, I agree. But isn't the Obama administration supposed to be "change"? Not "four more years of Bush"? So far I've seen nothing but more of the same.

Old 01-11-2009, 08:57 AM

37,629 posts, read 19,578,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkaren View Post
1. Not Obama's fault. But if he were trying to solve the unemployment problem, letting illegals stay here to keep our jobs, is not a valid solution. "Creating" more jobs to try to employ Americans while allowing illegals to keep the others is appeasement, plain and simple.

2. Bush's administration did nothing to stop illegal immigration, I agree. But isn't the Obama administration supposed to be "change"? Not "four more years of Bush"? So far I've seen nothing but more of the same.
Could be because there's no Obama administration yet...

Old 01-11-2009, 09:03 AM

29,920 posts, read 39,643,215 times
Don't blame illegals they just fill a void. They fill in the vacuum of arrogant Americans when those jobs where "those" jobs. Now people are complaining even at the same time they look for the cheapest price on the shelf to help their suffering in the piggy bank.

Do you guys not know this is just the beginning. This is what happens in free trade. If 1 company has a monopoly then all the sudden it's split up and competition is allowed what do you think happens to it's profit share?

Don't complain about prices and illegal immigration. They are one in the same. If anything stop worrying about price and go with American. Buy local groceries and don't buy any electronics at all.....

Remember we just came off a bubble where everyone was drinking champagne and watching housing prices bolster. People looked at $7hr jobs then with their nose up. The illegals still have those jobs now several years later.. We could do another trail of tears thing or figure something else out.

Let us also not forget though the price we are paying for greed in that we wanted (as a business owner) the most profits so we hire low wage workers that use power tolls to build furniture houses...etc. As customers we wanted the lowest price. They both drive each other.

Old 01-11-2009, 09:14 AM

25,902 posts, read 20,877,161 times
I give PE Obama credit for making an effort to create jobs, period. The last administration certainly showed no interest.

I have to say, though, I'm a little confused: I thought that all those illegals were living off welfare (at least that's what I read in the Immigration forum) thanks to their 'anchor babies.'

Last edited by TigerLily24; 01-11-2009 at 09:26 AM..

Old 01-11-2009, 09:16 AM

29,920 posts, read 39,643,215 times
Eventually what happens is as the legal American wage drops and the Illegal wage increases and builds Mexico, their standard of living increases to a point where even they become too expensive which is multiplied by our standard of living decreasing. Then the new Mexican will be something like SE Asian's or Africans..... It's the impending equalization of globalization.

Old 01-11-2009, 09:42 AM

9,855 posts, read 12,013,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24;6944296I
have to say, though, I'm a little confused: I thought that all those illegals were living off welfare (at least that's what I read in the Immigration forum) thanks to their 'anchor babies.'
They do both:draw heavily from social services while at the same time benefitting from near 0% unemployment for those of working ability. I suspect the heavily Roman Catholic culture is responsible for the "anchor babies" phenomenon. From what I can see most immigrant families continue to grow in size even after safe arrival in America. Surely three or more anchor babies per family are not neccessary. But a previous poster is correct. This thread may need to be moved. It shows, however, the connectedness of the current economic instability with the immigration issue. Trying to either absolve the Bush administration and blame the Clinton administration or absolve the Clinton administration and blame the Bush administration will be a waste of time. It's very rich vs everyone else, period.

The smarmy poster who suggested another poster "open his own automotive shop" is one example of why, to date, there has been no concerted movement for a revolution. We sit here and blame each other for policies that are not for our betterment. Unless Obama can create 12 million or more jobs he will not even be able to bring America out of the flat spin it is in let alone get it back to cruising altitude. But unless America is with him in achieving a unified goal of a healthy America the sweeping changes neccessary cannot happen. An American president is not a Facist Dictator capable of bending the immense system of government under his 'leadership' to his will just by force of will. Bush could not have done all that he did without it being the will of many, many well placed right of center power types who benefited mightilly from the death of consumer protection, labor protection and erosion of civil liberties.

H

Old 01-11-2009, 10:16 AM

79 posts, read 232,093 times
Yes, people, immigrants are "invading" and they also are the reason for "dragging the economy".

And the Bogeyman is out to get you too.

Old 01-11-2009, 01:46 PM

9,855 posts, read 12,013,735 times
Was there a point to that post? You don't agree, fine. Tell us, what is the problem then?

H
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies