Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 09:25 PM

172 posts, read 442,256 times

Advertisements

The death penalty gives relieve to families to know that justice or revenge has been served. They need to use the death penalty more often which would save on tax payers dollars and not wait 3 or 4 years before the execution. Sexual crimes of rape and abuse to children should be given the death penalty. We need to fix the crimes on our streets and people who opose the death penalty I feel are to blame. If it wasn't for crying people who feel criminals are great people and should be saved, then our society would be alot better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2009, 11:21 PM

10,793 posts, read 13,551,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Interesting comments.

However, I support the Death penalty and would even like to see an expansion of the number of crimes that would qualify for the Death Penalty - one of which would be certain sexual offenses against children.

I have witnessed an execution at the request of a victims family. I can tell you that the execution did bring some closure / finality to their ordeal.

I agree.

Old 11-28-2009, 11:29 PM

10,793 posts, read 13,551,648 times
MURDERER BREAKS INTO HOME....

RAPES AND KILLS WIFE

MURDERS 2 CHILDREN (RAPED DAUGHTER BEFORE THAT)

MURDERER IS CAPTURED AND TRIED

MURDERER GETS LIFE IN PRISON

HUSBAND AND FATHER OF VICTIMS GETS TO PAY FOR MURDERER'S FOOD, CABLE TV, EDUCATION, HEALTHCARE AND SHELTER FOR THE REST OF HIS LIFE, WITH HIS TAXES.

Does that make any sense? The only thing you have to pay back the value of what you took is to give something of equal value.

Old 11-29-2009, 09:15 AM

3,857 posts, read 4,217,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txguy2009 View Post
The reason the death penalty isn't very effective is because of the SCOTUS' and other states' activism in trying to weaken its effect, giving mandatory appeals, etc., which greatly reduce the connection between crime and punishment.

Seriously....if murderers were put to death within 1 month of their sentence, it would have deterrent effect on some premeditated crimes like armed robbery etc.

I know it's fashionable to say with a sense of sophistication that it's not a deterrent, and it may be weakened by the current implementation, but high conviction rates coupled with quick execution have been shown to be quite effective.

As to a "right to life"...what does this even mean? I have right to life no matter what I do? What if I'm in prison and I still keep killing people (which some prisoners would do without the death penalty)? Does my right to life allow me to keep living and killing other people, depriving them of their right? I just don't see the logical coherence behind that argument.

As to the $$$ argument, we are back again to mandatory appeals and other excessive procedural safeguards. Remove those, do it quickly, it becomes cheaper.

But actually I tend to be AGAINST the death penalty because I think that, in reality, people won't accept the probability that innocents will be executed and so we can't help but set up these safeguards which end up making it more expensive and less deterrent.

But for treason, terrorism, and other high-profile and very dangerous acts, I think we should still do it, preferably in a military-style tribunal so it's quick and effective.
Could you please provide the source of the validity of your statement below? Are you talking about in the U.S. or in other countries such as China, Iran, etc.?

You said: "I know it's fashionable to say with a sense of sophistication that it's not a deterrent, and it may be weakened by the current implementation, but high conviction rates coupled with quick execution have been shown to be quite effective."

Where did you get statistics which indicated that high conviction rates coupled with quick execution have been shown to be quite effective????

You also said that you think that people won't accept the probability that innocent people, who have been wrongfully convicted, will be exeucted.......I have to ask: What's wrong with that? Certainly it has been proven with the use of DNA evidence in some cases that people who DID NOT commit the murder(s) have been convicted and sent to death row. What do we all suppose happened to people who were convicted prior to the development of DNA technology who were innocent, yet convicted, and sent to death row? Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that one out.

Old 11-29-2009, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Interesting comments.

However, I support the Death penalty and would even like to see an expansion of the number of crimes that would qualify for the Death Penalty - one of which would be certain sexual offenses against children.

I have witnessed an execution at the request of a victims family. I can tell you that the execution did bring some closure / finality to their ordeal.
Would you please stop bragging about having witnessed an execution.

Interesting that you would like to see the death penalty apply to more crimes.........How about addressing, for ONCE, the problem with executing innocent people who get caught up in the death net and are wrongfully convicted? Do you like seeing those people executed, too? Would you say that you support whatever illusion gives people a feeling of "finality"?

As for YOUR ONE experience of witnessing an execution and YOUR opinion that the execution did bring closure/finality to the victim's family's ordeal......There are many, many victims' families on the other side of that coin, who do not find peace and closure at the execution. There are organizations of people who are victims' family members who are AGAINST the death penalty.

Old 11-29-2009, 09:24 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,457,092 times
any attempt to prevent the activity of a violent criminal is seen as a violation of his rights, the same people that have violated the rights of others, hurt and killed others, get on CDF and give long speeches on society's violation of their rights. lots of morally outraged felons just out of prison love to do threads on CDF. current american mind set, reproach the victim, sympathize with the perpetrator, jail the cop.

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 11-29-2009 at 09:40 AM..

Old 11-29-2009, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
MURDERER BREAKS INTO HOME....

RAPES AND KILLS WIFE

MURDERS 2 CHILDREN (RAPED DAUGHTER BEFORE THAT)

MURDERER IS CAPTURED AND TRIED

MURDERER GETS LIFE IN PRISON

HUSBAND AND FATHER OF VICTIMS GETS TO PAY FOR MURDERER'S FOOD, CABLE TV, EDUCATION, HEALTHCARE AND SHELTER FOR THE REST OF HIS LIFE, WITH HIS TAXES.

Does that make any sense? The only thing you have to pay back the value of what you took is to give something of equal value.
That would be all well and good if we had a perfect judicial system and we could be absolutely positive that the REAL MURDERER was being executed. So far, we have not reached that level of perfection as a people.

Innocent people are, indeed, convicted in our judicial system, and sent to prison......as well as death row. Death is Different. We have undoubtedly executed innocent people. And don't forget that when you execute an innocent person, the real killer is still out there, and NO ONE WILL EVER LOOK FOR THAT PERSON.

Old 11-29-2009, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jps-teacher View Post
Show me your research and I will show you mine.

I am a death penalty opponent who has reluctantly been convinced that the deterrent argument is accurate.
Check out this research:

Facts about Deterrence and the Death Penalty | Death Penalty Information Center

Then, show us yours, please. I'd been very interested in understanding your statement. Thanks.

Old 11-29-2009, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark6052 View Post
humans have a basic right to life. why do I think you support abortions? oh right there not humans. that said, anybody on death row should be executed within 30days, no appeals. if injection is to slow, try a 45 to the head. messy but affective. and to those very few that may be innocent. oops, sorry, but thats to bad. look how many people die from doctors mistakes if its not a deterent; it will slow down repeat offenders.
Are you anti-abortion? If so, then surely you are also anti-death-penalty? If not, then your thinking is contradictory. Is life sacred or not, in your opinion?

Btw, if we insituted your procedure for carrying out the death penalty, exactly what would you do about those innocent people who were wrongfully convicted? Oh, that's right. You'd NEVER KNOW that you executed an innocent person. And then, of course, the REAL KILLER would go free and never, ever be convicted of the murder he/she actually commited. Ahhh, the killer outsmarted you because you got lost in passion and could not overcome your emotions. Oh, well. Guess it wouldn't hurt YOU because you'd never know, however, the REAL KILLER would know and laugh every night as he/she went to sleep knowing that no one would ever be looking for him/her for that crime.

Old 11-29-2009, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I have a very simple philosophy on that. I have never seen any evidence that shows that the existence or the absence of capital punishment has any affect on crime or our culture. So I Have conluded that the pro- people are motivated by revenge, and the anti- people are motivated by compassion, and they both use faulty or shallow data to support their emotional position. I have yet to meet a person that does not conform with this pattern.
Here's some data which you probably have not read.

Facts about Deterrence and the Death Penalty | Death Penalty Information Center
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies