Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 09:13 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,513,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
If you don't want to import light oil, that's fine, you just need to understand that your life-style will take a turn for the worse, Millions of Americans will be permanently unemployed and your economy will be stagnant.
Isn't that the same argument that was made about the horse-drawn economy, and the paper economy, and the slave economy.....?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2008, 02:47 PM

5,562 posts, read 5,704,809 times
I think before the peace thru strength idealogy was all super powers must use their power to control the reigions or keep people in line. If you dont have the same ideas as us their for you must be bad. Some republicans and miltary branches use this to keep up the idea of new world order. The order as we see it. Besides the death and destruction for valid or non-valid reasons we must look at it constitutionally. To belief in limited government and then make the miltary so big we defend half the world that is not part of the constitution. "Protecting our interests" is also not very constiututional or limited. Most of the troops around the world should be at home. Protecting our borders and staying out of wars that have nothing to do with protecting our freedoms or our liberty. We can promote the ideas of free people but not via force. Some republicans have grasped onto the ideas of the neocons which is the old democrat ideas which still are live in the democrat party. We can make the world better with intervention, Example somila, bosnia etc. All these ideas will continue on with OBama which will also bring about death and destruction.
So in the end republicans are fighting within the party on limited government and fiscial responsiblity and the new republicans want globalization and blank checks.
I choose limited government at home and around the world and defend the country not the rest of the world. Free healthcare is not limited government and it is because the government is so big it has given us the corrupt healthcare we have now. Who do think writes the laws washington or the lawyer at the HMO or corporation. Dont give the power to washington and they wont have the power to coruption them. Given the healthcare over to government next best thing coprorations could ask for. Who do you think they will all run to for new laws they benefit them.

Old 10-28-2008, 05:20 PM

24,620 posts, read 19,304,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Isn't that the same argument that was made about the horse-drawn economy, and the paper economy, and the slave economy.....?
No, it wasn't.

Old 10-28-2008, 10:55 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,513,068 times
Quote:
No, it wasn't.
"Neener-neener" yourself. Understandably you won't have an explanation, because you're just peddling the same fear and nonsense that conservatives and every fading or obsolete system always argues ("We can't change, the economy will collapse, there'll be doom!!"). Just like the folks who wanted to hang onto slavery.

"... the Civil War and Reconstruction arguments for slavery centered on the economic necessity of the "peculiar institution" to the survival of the South." -A House Divided: The Antebellum Slavery Debates in America, 1776-1865

Old 01-30-2011, 07:00 PM

9,922 posts, read 10,885,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Taxes are not there for punishment.

Just think what you do by going on as a welfare president. The 40% that pay no taxes at all will jump on that band wagon blindly knowing they will get money. How will they get money by the taxes from people above them. They end up with a negative tax rate. Why would those people jump on the band wagon so quickly and blindly? It's not out of compassion. Then all you need to do is convince 11% of the nation above that and shabam! out comes 95% of America will not see an increase. No matter what they sell you hat ya can't see can hurt ya . Why not look up welfare? Then look up welfare reform and ask yourself or just find out the results of why the program needs reform and continues to.

Your false assumption is trying to put a price on what some people are worth. Then you take your moral high ground by thinking everything other than your thoughts are wrong.
well said.

Old 01-31-2011, 05:04 AM

2,553 posts, read 2,445,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
Lately this is driving me crazy. I have two good friends who are both republicans and each day the election draws closer, I am wondering why I am even friends with these people. I am trying to restrain myself, but it's getting hard.

Anyway, my central question has always been (and it's going out to you right wingers)...why are these people (or that one) so afraid that someone might get something for nothing (as in universal health care) yet don't mind spending their and my tax dollars on spreading death and destruction in the world? I CANNOT for the life of me get this. I try to explain to them that MY tax dollars are going to support said death and destruction and that I am highly opposed to this, yet it just goes straight over their heads. I tell them I would rather err on the side of life than death. I tell them that if I had $100 in my pocket and a "welfare queen" with too many kids or some military person wanting to bomb innocents were standing in front of me wanting my money, I would give the $100 to the "welfare queen" in the interest of LIFE. And this is the party of pro life people?

What is up with these people (or that one)? It would be nice not to lose two friends in the next ten days. Can anyone rational help me understand the RW mindset?
Sounds like you have a same mindset as your friends...just oppposite though. All you seem to consider are extremes...throwing money at bombs or a welfare queen. Just because you don't like one, it doesn't mean the other is the answer...what about everything in between as the right answer.

Old 01-31-2011, 05:13 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,715,979 times
Quote:
No, it wasn't.
Actually yes it was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies