Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 06:17 AM

29,093 posts, read 30,594,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
We're headed down the wrong path for sure. All of this could have been averted if we as a country could have taken our eyes off American Idol, reality TV, I-Phones, and collecting "things."
yanno, I look back at our parents and grand parents...how they did without, and yet, never did I realize, until they passed away, how much money they saved...and how things were not important to them....my parents helped so many many community members...that culture is gone....and it's so sad, to see people who have become individualists...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2008, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
We're headed down the wrong path for sure. All of this could have been averted if we as a country could have taken our eyes off American Idol, reality TV, I-Phones, and collecting "things."

its absolutely incredible, we're all walking around in a daze...rah rah the American Flag, and we have no clue as to what is really going on????? We're all asleep...and naive, and misinformed for sure.

Old 10-08-2008, 06:37 AM

5,171 posts, read 11,489,705 times
I do believe there are a few of us that have been saying for a while that things will get really ugly... but then there are those who live in la-la land and would like to pretend that everything is just fine.

Denial is not a river in Egypt.

forum rules, please read them

Old 10-08-2008, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
I do believe there are a few of us that have been saying for a while that things will get really ugly... but then there are those who live in la-la land and would like to pretend that everything is just fine.

Denial is not a river in Egypt.
Indeed...yanno, you can look back and see the difference in culture...years ago, even speeding was thought of as being illegal and against the law...the sense of entitlement in everyone is just unbelievable...and corporate America needs to come down off their high horses and get jiggy with it...same with politicians...they need to fall flat on their butts to realize, that it's not working...and American's need to draw on information...not reality TV...but really educate ourselves...learning politics and issues is not hard...more so, I deem it as becoming a compassionate member of the neighborhood. It could all be so simple...couldn't it?

Old 10-08-2008, 06:48 AM

5,171 posts, read 11,489,705 times
I agree. What really ticks me off is that people that were NOT part of the problem, those that lived within their means, that saved money and bought houses they can afford, are now bailing out those that did none of these things. And the ones mostly responsible get to continue their "party" after they received a bail out from the tax payers. Something is seriously WRONG here.

forum rules, please read them

Old 10-08-2008, 06:50 AM

13,782 posts, read 26,346,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Indeed...yanno, you can look back and see the difference in culture...years ago, even speeding was thought of as being illegal and against the law...the sense of entitlement in everyone is just unbelievable...and corporate America needs to come down off their high horses and get jiggy with it...same with politicians...they need to fall flat on their butts to realize, that it's not working...and American's need to draw on information...not reality TV...but really educate ourselves...learning politics and issues is not hard...more so, I deem it as becoming a compassionate member of the neighborhood. It could all be so simple...couldn't it?
Creme, you are dead on about the sense of entitlement that seems to drive our country. Do you remember last year when a study was released about what young people held as a goal for their futures? It was FAME and FORTUNE... People want to live like millionaires but without the means to support the lifestyle! Pitiful.

We are a house poor, car poor, toy poor country. We are truly the poster children of gluttonous excess...

Old 10-08-2008, 06:54 AM

13,446 posts, read 28,944,375 times
Creme

excellent post!!!

Old 10-08-2008, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
I agree. What really ticks me off is that people that were NOT part of the problem, those that lived within their means, that saved money and bought houses they can afford, are now bailing out those that did none of these things. And the ones mostly responsible get to continue their "party" after they received a bail out from the tax payers. Something is seriously WRONG here.
yes indeed, what happened to being responsible for your own bad choices? And what better lesson to learn? How will society ever learn to hold themselves accountable, if everything is given to them...society has become like a child, spoiled and very self imposed.

Old 10-08-2008, 07:27 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,749,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
yes indeed, what happened to being responsible for your own bad choices? And what better lesson to learn? How will society ever learn to hold themselves accountable, if everything is given to them...society has become like a child, spoiled and very self imposed.
Creme I agree with you, but not this much hulabaloo is made when Congress, who has spent the whole country into debt, votes themselves a pay raise and take "business trips" to Jamaica, the Caymans, and Aruba on the taxpayers' dime. I think the hypocrisy of Congress is amazing.

Old 10-08-2008, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
Creme, you are dead on about the sense of entitlement that seems to drive our country. Do you remember last year when a study was released about what young people held as a goal for their futures? It was FAME and FORTUNE... People want to live like millionaires but without the means to support the lifestyle! Pitiful.

We are a house poor, car poor, toy poor country. We are truly the poster children of gluttonous excess...

When a show on prime time TV, like The Insider/Access Hollywood/The Skinny becomes the most sought after show...speaks volumns about the mentality of Society.

When is society going to understand, just how TV sets moral standards and brain washes people into behaviors....like for instance, all those reality shows, where one has to turn on the other to win a lot of money...or shows like Desperate Housewives...or soap operas....believe it or not, they set up society and beliefs....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies