Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 09:58 PM

190 posts, read 443,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhouse View Post
OMG ya'll. I just got the coolest flat screen tv with a built in iPod and surround sound speakers. I bought it so that i can watch my favorite sports teams in hi-def. It's almost like being there. Huh? My Congressional district? I dunno.

I wish more people paid attention to politics like they do sports. We never would have gotten into this mess.
As the late, great George Carlin would say, we've all been bought out by cell phones that make pancakes.

Americans were too preoccupied with their toys to realize that their lives were being controlled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2008, 10:01 PM

13,607 posts, read 21,416,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymum View Post
There are nonviolent solutions though. If it gets to that point, people can stop going to work (assuming there are jobs left). Where are the exectutives going to get their bonuses when there is no commerce, and no lower-class income to tax? We could begin a rogue society where goods are exchanged directly among small communities. People are going to have to start growing their own food and buying whatever resources they can now to do this. Once the dollar is worthless, it's game over. Don't let Chase and Citigroup own everything before we no longer have buying power!

Sure, the federal government can respond with military force. But aside from using nuclear weapons on its own land, how do they expect to control hundreds of millions of people who have lost everything? They are severely outnumbered.
The majority of people don't know how to grow food and have no way or place to grow food if they knew how to including me.Luckily I live by the ocean so at least I'd have a chance of catching a fish.The farms and groves 20 miles from me,what do you think will happen when thousands of people go to pick oranges and get their cows?I could try hunting a turkey or deer but that will work out great when there are a hundred other people hunting that same deer.

When people have no work,and a loaf of bread costs $10 dollars it is times like that a person like Hitler,Castro and Lenin comes into power and when those people see a exec spending $1000 a night on a hotel room with their tax money while they are scare crowing people don't think too far ahead they go for a leader who will get even and get them fed.

Old 10-07-2008, 10:08 PM

190 posts, read 443,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
The majority of people don't know how to grow food and have no way or place to grow food if they knew how to including me.Luckily I live by the ocean so at least I'd have a chance of catching a fish.The farms and groves 20 miles from me,what do you think will happen when thousands of people go to pick oranges and get their cows?I could try hunting a turkey or deer but that will work out great when there are a hundred other people hunting that same deer.

When people have no work,and a loaf of bread costs $10 dollars it is times like that a person like Hitler,Castro and Lenin comes into power and when those people see a exec spending $1000 a night on a hotel room with their tax money while they are scare crowing people don't think too far ahead they go for a leader who will get even and get them fed.
That's assuming there is a leader who will get them fed, or even an actual election process.

As for hundreds of people hunting the same deer, it was mentioned in another thread that you don't want to be within 50 miles of a large city in times like that. I'm not saying it's going to get that bad, but if it does, I will WALK as far away from New York as I can get- through mountains and forests John Muir style under the radar. I'd be out of here yesterday.

Old 10-07-2008, 10:20 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,742,503 times
Default Less than a week after the federal government offered an $85 billion bailout to insurance giant AIG, the company held a

It doesnt stop

Less than a week after the federal government offered an $85 billion bailout to insurance giant AIG, the company held a week-long retreat for its executives at the luxury St. Regis Resort in Monarch Beach, Calif., running up a tab of $440,000

After Bailout, AIG Executives Head to Resort - Live Coverage -

Old 10-08-2008, 01:50 AM

2,308 posts, read 2,591,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freefall View Post
It doesnt stop

Less than a week after the federal government offered an $85 billion bailout to insurance giant AIG, the company held a week-long retreat for its executives at the luxury St. Regis Resort in Monarch Beach, Calif., running up a tab of $440,000

After Bailout, AIG Executives Head to Resort - Live Coverage -
This is a case where I support the Chinese method of dealing with scumabgs and dirtbags: Public execution! The best part is that these scumbags talk about this with impunity like "so what's the big deal"? This principle of "I've got mine so f*** you" is rooted in the dark side of capitalism, it's just a part of the basis for the capitalistic system and separates the "haves" from the "have nots". No amount of politics, regulation or reform is going to remove the basic law of greed and contempt from the capitalistic system in the US or any other country, to remove greed and contempt would destroy the philosophy and the financial underpinnings of the the free market system of capitalism. It would become a cow without an utter, a financially dysfunctional animal.

Old 10-08-2008, 05:06 AM

28,970 posts, read 30,336,251 times
Default AIG EXECS SPENT $440,000 on POSH RETREAT IN CA

AIG executives went on posh retreat after bailout

ok, this is a perfect example of the entitlement culture out there today. No consciense, no embarrassment, absoloutely henous....these execs should be held liable, this to me is theft...and this is a perfect example of why we are in the fix we are today...markets crashing all over the world, an 800,000 billion bailout and these execs From AIG think it's ok for them to do such a dispicable thing. This is a crime...and each and every one of them should be fired...with no sevrence....NOTHING, just fired, like we used to do, to keep people on their toes. No one gets fired today for doing dispicable things?????? They are asked to hand in the resignations and given a great big package of money to leave???? When is this going to stop...when are people going to be held accountable????? Years ago, people were worried about doing a good job, b/c they knew if they didn't, they'd get fired? As it should be! Today, we reward bad behavior....??????

Just like the CEO for Lehman...sat there in front of the judge and is leaving with 34 million dollars, and feels nothing except that HE is entitled.

I tell you, folks we all better wake up...these people are dispicable Americans, who care nothing about other people's money. And, adding insult to injury, the government is placing our tax money for the bail outs, in the hands of these people.

Then, you have the face off last night between the Presidential candidates, each promising to do this and that for our country...and yet, we all sit there, never realizing, that their both blowing smoke up our you know what's. There is no money, this country is BROKE....we are printing money that we don't have...the whole world is headed for economic failure, and yet, both candidates are talking ficiton?????

When are people going to be held accountable for stealing from the American's hard earned tax dollars. What ever happened to morals and concern for the people. When did everyone become such selfish individualists...only concerned about today. These people should be knocked down off their high horses and fired..period. Our government, our sentate, our congressmen, and should not be afforded any kind of bonus or pay. People all over the country are loosing their 401(k)'s, their homes, facing shoddy heath care, and we continually sit back and say nothing?????? Why???????

I've said this a thousand times....this culture has nothing do to with Democrates or Repulicans...it's all of em...??????

What has happened to the mentality of American people????

This one question is beyond my comprehension....how could anyone literally watch last nights face off and say, oh, he did better then the other????? When neither one of them is going to have any money to do anything...and guess who is going to suffer..."Main Street" as they so casually put it.

Neither candidate to me, or our state senate, or congressmen seem to get it....not to mention, corporate leaders????? They all want their big pay checks, bonuses, so they're going to 3rd world countries so they can keep them...and to heck with everyone else. There are no jobs folks...we manufacture nothing here in the states...and haven't for years...

Is everyone ready to relocate to another country...in order to get work...

things are very very bad, and no one seems to realize or know, what is going on...

I mean, they're taking all this money, and placing it in the hands of the same people who brought about this problem.

Same with corporations...they're selling out on good employees, and keeping those who made bad decissions to begin with...??????

Sorry, I'm just venting...this all makes me really really sad...and we all saw it coming...yet, we fight back and forth between parties???? Unbelievable??????? Un freakin believable....?????? None of them have a clue...and the good guys who ARE in politics to help the people, and do what's right, get drowned out...b/c the majority of politicians are corrupt...including Corporate Leaders.

When your leaders are corrupt, so to, will be it's people. And I tell you true..way back during the depression days, people were kind, compassionate, caring and gave of what little they had to help others...but if we go thru another depression today...people have lost morals and will become vile animals....and kill for food and shelter for their own...it surely aint the same world we've grown up in...

While crime is becoming worse and worse, people are screaming, take away the guns...OH Yeah, that's going to fix things...and all the while our own politicians and corporations are robbing us for their own big bonuses. Has anyone out there, in leadership positions actually said, "Oh, hey, I'll take a cut in pay?" No, we are all hearded into meetings while people are loosing their jobs...and they have the nearve to ask..."What about our bonuses?" They ought to thank God they have jobs!!!!! How aloof, how dispicable? How down right immoral and criminal.....

I apologize, I'm just so concerned about this country. I wrote about this in other forums years ago, and no one would listen...every one said I was a drama queen? Yet no one cares, no one gets involved...no one cares about our children and what it's going to be like for their future, and we get more liberal in thinking, for quick fixes, that do not fix anything at all....

Because our prisons are full, and we are broke, they are not building more prisions...criminals are running around free...wait...wait and see what starts happening...our country is in very very bad shape...they've robbed us blind. WE have no money for our military...we are no longer a super power...and this is the best time...to come in and take over...while we're all at each other's throats...we have become so corrupt....so thoughtless...so concerned about being right, more then doing what is right for the whole of the nation...???? Sheesh...

I'll shut up now...I'm just really really disappointed....

Creme

Old 10-08-2008, 05:17 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,316,173 times
Take the money back and make them reimburse the taxpayers the $440,000.
Close those suckers down.

Old 10-08-2008, 05:44 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,957,009 times
Reps to you creme. This is abysmal; the country is full of corrupt politicians and corporate elite.

Old 10-08-2008, 06:08 AM

28,970 posts, read 30,336,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
Reps to you creme. This is abysmal; the country is full of corrupt politicians and corporate elite.

I'm just so sad and upset...I know of 4 people now who have absolutely lost their homes...another influencial friend, who now has to pay 16oo.oo per month for a bottom line health insurance, that doesn't include dental...

and I just cannot fathom, why anyone would take a change on a vairible rate mortage, or an interest only morgage????? I mean, what could people have been thinking? Did they honestly think....??????? And why did the banks give such low risk mortgages?????

This country, got fat and lazy...,. and we're going to pay...big time...with no thoughts what so ever of the effects on others.

Old 10-08-2008, 06:13 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,957,009 times
We're headed down the wrong path for sure. All of this could have been averted if we as a country could have taken our eyes off American Idol, reality TV, I-Phones, and collecting "things."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies