Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 12:36 PM

681 posts, read 2,359,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
If the insurance companies refused coverage for people who had accidents while on the phone that might stop many people from driving while on the phone. That would be the right-wing answer to the problem.
I'm sure you're not serious about this because it's pretty common knowledge that we don't operate based on what our insurance policies require. If we all drove to the standard we wouldn't have people driving under the influence, driving without a license, chronic speeders, street racing...etc...

This girl never stood a chance. She was inexperienced behind the wheel, she was intoxicated, she was speeding and texting to top it off. Somehow I was expecting grand auto theft to show up in the article but guess I missed it. Why is it that people have to text while driving? Why can't they just talk instead of spewing a primitive language stream of "IM SO DRNK LTS GO 2 MY PLC AND PRTY UH OH TH CPS LOL"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2008, 12:55 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,054,063 times
In my opinion there is no excuse for anybody to be texting while driving, absolutely none.

We managed for most of the history of the automobile without texting and cell phones, and we can manage without them today.

If a call, or a text message is that important, pull off the road, park and then take care of the text message or call.

Old 08-18-2008, 01:27 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,748,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
I can drive with a cell, even text on occasion if I must......

So, if I am a responsible driver, why must I be bombarded by laws built for stupid people? .

Well you just answered your own question.

Old 08-18-2008, 01:47 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,748,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittySkyfish View Post
I'm sure you're not serious about this because it's pretty common knowledge that we don't operate based on what our insurance policies require. If we all drove to the standard we wouldn't have people driving under the influence, driving without a license, chronic speeders, street racing...etc...

Well yeah I'm serious. Some of us, many I would think, would be influenced by insurance company policies on this, Hell, that's why I buy insurance in the first place, to be covered. Not everybody is an insane idiot, speeding and driving drunk and what not. Some of us are actually responsible adults.

Because you can't influence everybody is no reason to not influence as many as you can.

Old 08-18-2008, 02:11 PM

2,308 posts, read 2,586,749 times
KittySkyfish
Quote:
Why can't they just talk instead of spewing a primitive language stream of "IM SO DRNK LTS GO 2 MY PLC AND PRTY UH OH TH CPS LOL"
Now I'm scared! I read that txt message no problem and I'm 61 years old and have never used txt messaging!

Old 08-18-2008, 02:13 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,785,443 times
I think alcohol played more a role than the text messaging did.
There was also a story out of New York I think where a girl died on graduation day because she was text messaging and driving.

I pretty much text message at red lights and whenever I'm slowing down to come to a red light. I know I need to stop. Today needs to be the day. I'm not really in the mood for dying at the moment, I have too many plans.

Old 08-18-2008, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveTodayLez08 View Post
I think alcohol played more a role than the text messaging did.
There was also a story out of New York I think where a girl died on graduation day because she was text messaging and driving.

I pretty much text message at red lights and whenever I'm slowing down to come to a red light. I know I need to stop. Today needs to be the day. I'm not really in the mood for dying at the moment, I have too many plans.
A good thought, now please follow through and do as you say.

Old 08-18-2008, 02:31 PM

9,530 posts, read 16,512,408 times
Im glad I don't drive much in my personal life. Now all I need to do is find a new part time job since driving is the job. There should be a complete ban on cell phones being used in a car unless then can be used hands free. I mean enough is enough. The car is for driving and thats it. Pull the car over and talk on the stupid phone, or let it ring and call them back when you can. Its a shame all the people hurt and killed in this country by someone driving around with a cell phone in thier hand.

Old 08-18-2008, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Im glad I don't drive much in my personal life. Now all I need to do is find a new part time job since driving is the job. There should be a complete ban on cell phones being used in a car unless then can be used hands free. I mean enough is enough. The car is for driving and thats it. Pull the car over and talk on the stupid phone, or let it ring and call them back when you can. Its a shame all the people hurt and killed in this country by someone driving around with a cell phone in thier hand.
The thing that really scares me is when I see other drivers with cell phone in hand, steering with their elbows or knees and attempting to make a turn in heavy traffic! Now that's scary! I'll hold my position until Mr/Ms Stupid completes (or not!) their circus like maneuver!

Old 08-18-2008, 02:44 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,785,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hazzard View Post
A good thought, now please follow through and do as you say.
I'll try, hopefully others will stop so they won't kill me as I'm doing the right thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies