Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 05:53 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,811,485 times

Advertisements

I was using my cell phone in the car the other day. I was also trying to put a CD into the player at the same time. I was not drinking because my current medication + alcohol = dead liver. The only part of the situation that prevented a tragedy was the simple fact that I was still parked. I have talked on the phone while driving but I really have to ramp up the concentration level to still see the traffic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2008, 06:36 AM

2,308 posts, read 2,588,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I was using my cell phone in the car the other day. I was also trying to put a CD into the player at the same time. I was not drinking because my current medication + alcohol = dead liver. The only part of the situation that prevented a tragedy was the simple fact that I was still parked. I have talked on the phone while driving but I really have to ramp up the concentration level to still see the traffic.
Excellent post, thank you!

Old 08-18-2008, 07:00 AM

17,010 posts, read 12,602,310 times
Sad, but, uh, DRUNK... hellloooo

Old 08-18-2008, 07:20 AM

3,352 posts, read 6,665,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
First, as someone pointed out. She was drinking and driving. Thats the first problem and should be the main problem people are focusing on.

As for the devices, yes they can distract the idiots, but then taking away a device from an idiot doesn't change the fact that they are still an idiot. The problem is the driver, not the device. Many people out there are intelligent and attentive drivers who use phones and other various devices from time as needed while they drive.

If we are to claim being on a phone is a great danger for a normal person while driving the speed laws, then we have to look at emergency drivers who use their radios in high speed situations as certain death. The fact is, it isn't a problem with the device, but the lack of responsibility of the person. If you think they have special magical training, then think again. It is simply called "pay attention". The same thing you learn in driving school is the same thing they apply in high speed situations concerning being alert and defensive driving.

I am really getting tired of someone doing something stupid and everyone jumping up to claim that somehow this wouldn't be a problem if we banned this device or outlawed this action while driving. When do we get to ban stupid people? I can promise you that banning stupid people would be a heck of a lot more effective than banning something that a stupid person does irresponsibly.
Agree 100%. Texting and driving is as bad as reading a book or a newspaper and driving -- which I've also seen. It takes your eyes and attention completely off the road. But just having a conversation on a cell phone really isn't any different from talking to someone in the passenger seat, and it's no more dangerous than changing the channel on the radio. It really is the user, not the device. Numskulls aren't going to be good drivers even if they have both hands on the wheel and no phone to their ear. And let's not forget -- a 16-year-old was drinking and driving, and that was without doubt the much bigger problem here.

I will say this much, though ... what is so bloody important that you have to take a call in your car? I even see people with phones to their ears in the checkout line at the grocery store -- while the cashier is ringing them up, for crying out loud. Put down the phone and stop being so #^$& rude and self-absorbed!

Old 08-18-2008, 07:23 AM

3,352 posts, read 6,665,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hazzard View Post
People will get the message about using wireless devices when driving when the violation becomes a felony and not just a misdemeanor traffic ticket!
I don't use my phone in the car, but don't take away my option to do so, and don't punish me for the stupidity of others. You might as well ban people from changing the radio station while they're driving. And there are already distracted-driving laws on the books. That's enough.

Old 08-18-2008, 07:30 AM

3,150 posts, read 8,721,161 times
Some of my locals ended up in a fiery death last year because of the same negligence....

ABC News: Teen Crash Driver May Have Been Texting

Old 08-18-2008, 07:33 AM

2,193 posts, read 5,056,510 times
Yea I think the bigger issue is drinking and driving. She's 16 years old why was she drinking and driving!!?! I'm glad she didn't hit some innocent person or family as well.

As for talking while at the grocery store, sorry I do that!! It's boring to wait online and sometimes if I'm on the phone at weird times it's bc that's the only time to catch up w/ someone!

Old 08-18-2008, 08:05 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,811,485 times
When I am really driving, like on the road through Bear Notch in New Hampshire, last Sunday, I do not have the concentration left over to answer the phone. When I am schlepping home past the grocery store I use the phone to check the grocery list. I'm usually stopped in a line of traffic anyway.

Old 08-18-2008, 08:06 AM

1,558 posts, read 2,599,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hazzard View Post
Authorities say Preuss had been driving drunk and was speeding

yeah, its all because of the texting

Old 08-18-2008, 08:53 AM

1,703 posts, read 3,871,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cottonwood2420 View Post
They should ban texting while driving. In California, it's illegal to talk on a cell phone while driving, but you can text. There is something very wrong with that.
WTF??????? I swear California is an island all its own. I can talk a heck of a lot easier than I can text ESPECIALLY when driving! I find texting to be a pain in the rump on a good day. How can you possibly do it while driving unless you are sitting in traffic? Although I feel for her family. Although I'm with some others. The alcohol affected this situation more than the texting. But I guess drunk texting should be outlawed. That's beyong crazy. I would be dead now if I'd had cell phones when I was 16.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies