Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 02:27 PM

2,308 posts, read 2,591,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
wrong! the judicial branch's role is to determine the constitutionality of laws enacted by the legislature or the executive branch. the executive branch's role is to enforce laws, not for the judicial branch to do. if your way were true, then why did it take so long for brown v board of education to be enforced? it's because the executive/legislative branches took their sweet time to enforce and legislate. if the judicial branch had the power to enforce as you say, then racial segregation in the schools would have disappeared in 1955, immediately after the ruling in 1954.
I stand corrected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2008, 03:41 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,623,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
Believe it or not, a substantial number of Republicans don't consider gay marriage to be that big of deal.

You should really learn to differentiate between mainstream, moderate Republicans and the more radical religious right.

Being a Republican does not automatically flip the anti-gay switch in a person's brain.
Sorry you & Fleet are embarrassed by the being Republicans [I don't blame you & why so many former Republicans are registering either independent or Democrat]. But face the facts, the GOP is the driving force in using anti-gay feelings to attract bigot voters [who consistently vote Republican].

It would be like trying to distinguish anti-war Democrats from other Democrats [can't do]. Republicans need to acknowledge that their party is full of intolerant & ignorant yahoos - live with it or get out - hope you do the latter. And Fleet, you know fully well you can't even voice your opposition to gay marriage openly in California for fear of being even more ostracized than you already are.

Old 08-16-2008, 04:50 PM

24,517 posts, read 33,360,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
Sorry you & Fleet are embarrassed by the being Republicans [I don't blame you & why so many former Republicans are registering either independent or Democrat]. But face the facts, the GOP is the driving force in using anti-gay feelings to attract bigot voters [who consistently vote Republican].

It would be like trying to distinguish anti-war Democrats from other Democrats [can't do]. Republicans need to acknowledge that their party is full of intolerant & ignorant yahoos - live with it or get out - hope you do the latter. And Fleet, you know fully well you can't even voice your opposition to gay marriage openly in California for fear of being even more ostracized than you already are.
I am a conservative first and a Republican second.

And I have as much right to voice my opinion as you.

Old 08-16-2008, 05:01 PM

8,046 posts, read 12,295,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
Oh for crying out loud.

Gay people have just as much right to be miserable as the rest of us.

Leave them alone, let them marry. Why does anybody care what two consenting adults do with their love lives?

Trust me, marriage ain't all it's cracked up to be......
Bravo! That's exactly my opinion. I was married for eight years, and overall, they were the eight most miserable years of my life. Some people are meant to be married and raise a family, and others aren't. I obviously wasn't ... especially since I never had any desire to have kids.

My views on same sex marriage are exactly the same as my views on interriacial marriage: I don't personally favor either one, but it's best to just live & let live on these types of issues, and not try to stop it from happening. Passing laws and amending the Constitution on these types of matters is ridiculous. We have more important matters to be concerned about than marriage.

Old 08-16-2008, 08:30 PM

194 posts, read 299,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hazzard View Post
I've been divorced 17 years after being married for 24 years!
Divorced? YOU? No way!

Old 08-16-2008, 09:18 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,925,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
I am a conservative first and a Republican second.

And I have as much right to voice my opinion as you.
there's a difference between being a conservative and a traditionalist... you have every right to your beliefs but if your opposition to something is not related to logic and founded upon your religious beliefs.. then it shows the issue should not be voted upon by the general public.. it is an issue for the courts to determine. I could start a church that believes anyone who is brown is brown because they were cursed by god... and if my followers gained in great numbers do you think its fair for my congregation to be allowed to vote on issues concerning people who are brown? That is called mob rule.. it is not democratic... the branches of the government are meant to check and balance each other... if you have a problem with rulings from the courts... think where we would be without the courts? The only way to overturn abortion is thru the courts.. and proving that it is in fact murder... I do not support abortion.. nor am I against it.. because there is no evidence that in the first trimester of a pregnancy that there is even a brain developed yet... if and when science can prove that wrong.. then the courts will be there.. and I will have to re-analyze my opinion of the issue... but in regards to gay marriage... this is a free country last time I checked.. if you don't like gay marriages.. don't get one... marry another breeder and shut up all ready.. someone else's marriage has nothing to do with you... so it is your right to your opinion.... but it is not your right to enforce your opinion on the issue unless it directly involves you... which it doesn't.. so go to church and read the bible more and quit being a bitter jaded jesus freak...

Old 08-16-2008, 10:32 PM

24,517 posts, read 33,360,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
there's a difference between being a conservative and a traditionalist... you have every right to your beliefs but if your opposition to something is not related to logic and founded upon your religious beliefs.. then it shows the issue should not be voted upon by the general public.. it is an issue for the courts to determine. I could start a church that believes anyone who is brown is brown because they were cursed by god... and if my followers gained in great numbers do you think its fair for my congregation to be allowed to vote on issues concerning people who are brown? That is called mob rule.. it is not democratic... the branches of the government are meant to check and balance each other... if you have a problem with rulings from the courts... think where we would be without the courts? The only way to overturn abortion is thru the courts.. and proving that it is in fact murder... I do not support abortion.. nor am I against it.. because there is no evidence that in the first trimester of a pregnancy that there is even a brain developed yet... if and when science can prove that wrong.. then the courts will be there.. and I will have to re-analyze my opinion of the issue... but in regards to gay marriage... this is a free country last time I checked.. if you don't like gay marriages.. don't get one... marry another breeder and shut up all ready.. someone else's marriage has nothing to do with you... so it is your right to your opinion.... but it is not your right to enforce your opinion on the issue unless it directly involves you... which it doesn't.. so go to church and read the bible more and quit being a bitter jaded jesus freak...
Kind of hard to read that... paragraphs are a good thing!

Yes, this is a free country, but there are laws, too.

And you are making assumptions about me without even knowing me. For instance, I am not a "Jesus freak."

Old 08-16-2008, 11:29 PM

2,308 posts, read 2,591,647 times
boiseguy
Quote:
so go to church and read the bible more and quit being a bitter jaded jesus freak...
That line reminds me to listen to some "Jesus Christ Superstar" music. Thanks! "Judas' Song", "you're just a bitter dated jaded animal"!

Old 08-17-2008, 01:41 AM

look I don't have anyting against someone for believing what they believe.. but freedoms are freedoms.. and if someone's civil rights are being treaded upon.. they have a right to be heard by the courts.. that is all this issue is about.... some people are upset with the ruling.. without having any evidence that the civil rights being granted hinder their own in anyway...especially by the same people who claim left leaning government is wanting to control their lives... what makes you think that YOU are able to direct the government to control someone else's life and who they want to marry??? It just doesn't add up... and I think its rooted in bigotry and ignorance.. with its ties to religion... have your beliefs.... we all should.. but we should also know our place... which is worrying about our own families.. and not the affairs of others and who they wish to love and build a life with.

Old 08-17-2008, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Kind of hard to read that... paragraphs are a good thing!

Yes, this is a free country, but there are laws, too.

And you are making assumptions about me without even knowing me. For instance, I am not a "Jesus freak."
nobody can know about anyone on here.. because it frankly is annonymous.. I could spit out all my "bleeding heart liberal" hooplah... while being a republican in real life.. and this could just be a sick outlet of entertainment for me... I'm merely addressing your stance on the issue in relation to your political views.. and putting 2 and 2 together... what is considered a "jesus freak" is a matter of who you ask... but I would be willing to bet your ideals follow judeo-christian values.. and that's ok... I just don't think those values should be concrete and final... they can be adapted to accomodate modern issues without throwing the baby out with the bath water...

Keep on fleeting fleet... we enjoy your posts.. they're very enlightening... if not entertaining...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies