Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 11:09 PM

260 posts, read 843,402 times

Advertisements

Thanks to warmongers on both sides, Israel and Iran appear to be headed towards armed confrontation. I thought that I'd post this article because it discusses how similar Iranians and Israelis really are.

Quote:
...mutual ignorance of our respective societies plays into the hands of the hard-line leaders who are calling for blood and destruction. They manipulate and distort; above all, they do everything to prevent us from recognising that the enemy has a face.

Not that either of us is naive enough to believe that mere knowledge of one another will offer a miraculous solution. We do believe, however, that mutual understanding will go a long way toward allowing us to feel empathy and compassion for each other, and to sound off at those calling for bloodshed and war.

Here are some essential things Iranians and Israelis should know about each other:
These enemies have faces by Trita Parsi and Roi Ben-Yehuda - Common Ground News Service
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2008, 11:14 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,231,902 times
Interesting article, certainly shows the situation in a different light. Nice to see an article not demonizing either side, and trying to increase mutual understanding.

Old 08-15-2008, 11:14 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,833,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneworld25 View Post
Thanks to warmongers on both sides, Israel and Iran appear to be headed towards armed confrontation. I thought that I'd post this article because it discusses how similar Iranians and Israelis really are.

These enemies have faces by Trita Parsi and Roi Ben-Yehuda - Common Ground News Service

1.isreal will attack
2.and then iran will respond
3.the US will condemn iran for respondinf then the us will get involved as usually yadda yadda yadda pre war world 3

Old 08-15-2008, 11:17 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,129,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneworld25 View Post
Thanks to warmongers on both sides, Israel and Iran appear to be headed towards armed confrontation.
They've always been headed towards armed confrontation. The only question is - and always has been - when. I firmly believe that the issues in the Middle East won't be solved until one side is completely wiped out. This is a religious dispute, and those don't just go away, nor do people compromise.

My prediction is that this will eventually end in nuclear confrontation. I don't wish for that, but in the long term, I don't see how it could end any other way. I just hope it stays localized to that region.

Old 08-15-2008, 11:18 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,465,558 times
crackup. very much like public school discipline, a goon is beating you up on the playgroud, why were you 2 boys fighting.
have you looked on the map at israel and iran?

Old 08-16-2008, 05:47 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,489,966 times
Once George Bush and the shadow of his War with Everybody mania have departed the stage and gone on into the first of what will be many richly deserved years of excoriation, there will be room for saner heads to prevail. As the OP article aptly points out, at the end of the day, there is nothing for Israel and Iran to fight over. There are only politicians rattling sabers for domestic political consumption. If such a triviality can be blown up and exaggerated into actual military conflict, then the world is in far worse shape than what any of us thinks it is...

Old 08-16-2008, 06:20 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,777,470 times
We should make it clear to both nations that, if either of them starts anything, they are on their own.

Old 08-16-2008, 06:21 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,777,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
They've always been headed towards armed confrontation. The only question is - and always has been - when. I firmly believe that the issues in the Middle East won't be solved until one side is completely wiped out. This is a religious dispute, and those don't just go away, nor do people compromise.

My prediction is that this will eventually end in nuclear confrontation. I don't wish for that, but in the long term, I don't see how it could end any other way. I just hope it stays localized to that region.
Do you see why religion has NO PLACE in government?

Old 08-17-2008, 11:21 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,833,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Do you see why religion has NO PLACE in government?
i kinda wonder why american politicians say religion is important whats that all about?

Old 08-18-2008, 05:24 AM

2,783 posts, read 6,678,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post

Actually they haven't "always" been headed towards confrontation. It wasn't until the Islamo-fascists took control in 1979 that Iran chose a policy of belligerency towards Israel. The countries got along before that, as the enemy of my enemy is my friend and both countries were the targets of the Arab countries' ire.

Now that Iraq is not a threat to Iran, they've turned their attention to Israel in order to be seen as the "leader" of the Muslim world.

What's Israel's crime in all of this besides defending herself? Existing. Israel has done nothing to Iran beyond responding to not only Iran's threats, but that country's support of Hezbollah and Hamas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies