Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 01:04 PM

658 posts, read 839,414 times

Advertisements

Crime stats have no perspective; they are objective, which is why facts are not subject to sexism or racism. Why do people intend to argue with a wall?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2008, 01:04 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,196,400 times
Always amused by allegations of "diversity" in regions like NYC/SF/LA....

It's rather location/industry/socio-economically-specific within these regions....e.g., residents of expensive apt bldgs on UES of Manhattan aren't very "diverse", nor the residents of Greenwich back-country, nor the residents of SF's PacHts, nor SF's Marin suburbs....etc etc....

Visit the dining rooms of Manhattan's Daniel or Per Se on any given evening....suspect the crowd isn't more diverse than crowd in any upscale restaurant in Omaha/Birmingham....look at the pics of the top 20 execs of each of the major NYC investment banks/hedge funds....not particularly diverse....

Self-imposed socio-economic bubbles are fairly universally found....

Would argue most highly educated areas tend to be more sophisticated/subtle/less violent in expressing their tolerance (or lack thereof) than are other areas...but humans will be humans....

Old 08-06-2008, 01:13 PM

2,915 posts, read 3,546,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDot View Post
You are certainly welcome to do that. As long as you realize that you live in an area that has higher crime, less civic involvement, less voter turnout, less volunteerism, less trust in your neighbors or the government, less charitable giving, more general malaise, less contentment where, in general people have fewer close friends.
This may be true in cities that are diverse but segregated, but in a more well integrated city there is great sense of community among different ethnicities. I enjoy the diversity of cultures where I am quite a bit and have friends of at least 15 different ethnicities.

Old 08-06-2008, 01:43 PM

98 posts, read 114,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsw View Post
Always amused by allegations of "diversity" in regions like NYC/SF/LA....

It's rather location/industry/socio-economically-specific within these regions....e.g., residents of expensive apt bldgs on UES of Manhattan aren't very "diverse", nor the residents of Greenwich back-country, nor the residents of SF's PacHts, nor SF's Marin suburbs....etc etc....

Visit the dining rooms of Manhattan's Daniel or Per Se on any given evening....suspect the crowd isn't more diverse than crowd in any upscale restaurant in Omaha/Birmingham....look at the pics of the top 20 execs of each of the major NYC investment banks/hedge funds....not particularly diverse....

Self-imposed socio-economic bubbles are fairly universally found....

Would argue most highly educated areas tend to be more sophisticated/subtle/less violent in expressing their tolerance (or lack thereof) than are other areas...but humans will be humans....
There is a difference.

The hedge funders who dine at Per Se, lounge at Masa Bar and shop at Brioni aren't necessarily "running" away from diversity as the OP clearly suggests we do with his racial undertones; likewise the wealthy New Yorkers, Greenwich, etc. people are surrounded with homogeneity because fact remains, there are far more wealthy whites than there are wealthy minorities in this country. That's life. As I've said, this is socioeconomic status not race.

There are a few (3-4?) black families who live at 15 Central Park West which is arguably New York's most premier address and there are rich minorities on the Upper East Side, Greenwich and many of them in super-wealthy enclaves of Beverly Hills i.e. Beverly Park (especially), and they don't move to these exclusive suburbs to run away from minorities, they move to be with like-minded people; i.e. people on their level.

It's not about skin color it's about class.

Old 08-06-2008, 04:01 PM

16,086 posts, read 41,362,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenken627 View Post
As an Asian American, it is easier for me to associate with whites from diverse areas than it is to associate with those from non-diverse areas.

White Americans from non-diverse areas can be friendly, but often times they do not know or comprehend some of the stuff regarding my background, culture, or thoughts and feelings. I find myself repeating my answers to their curiosities over and over again (if they are of the friendly inquiring type). Other times, some can be shockingly offensive and stereotypical. Still others just stare, and it can be very discomforting to be stared at for a long time.

While this isn't all too bad, I've found that White Americans from diverse areas are more comfortable to interact with because most likely, they already know much about my background in the first place. They've already known and grew up with tons of my kind, and some can even speak my native tongue better than I can.

It's especially easier as a child. When I was going through school in an non-diverse area, all I heard everyday was doing "kung-fu", making "egg-rolls", and all the other stuff you would expect from other school children. It didn't bother me that much, but it just gets tiring after a while. Then I moved to a diverse area, and I never heard those phrases much at all. We just got along right away without those types of remarks at all.

Yes, there are prejudices even in diverse areas. And say what you will about diversity. But, enrolling your child in a diverse school will do little harm and a lot of good. What is wrong with having your child grow up already with the impression and knowledge of others that might be useful to him/her later on?
I think this is one of the best posts I have ever read on City-Data.

Old 08-06-2008, 08:41 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,093,877 times
to me I feel more comfortable being around different races, even though Albuquerque is mostly Whites and Hispanics with a small population of Native Americans there are plenty of Native Americans in neighboring reservations that come to ABQ and more and more African Americans seem to be moving here lately, and of course there are all sorts of people from other countries, I've also seen alot more people from Isreal lately too.

I learn more about others cultures and everyone seems to accept everyone no matter what race.

Old 08-06-2008, 11:28 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,132,369 times
It's funny how white americans get lumped into one group as if they were a homogenous bunch. We all descended from diverse cultures in Europe and elsewhere (English, French, Italians, Greeks, Germans, Irish, etc..). The same can be said for Hispanics, Asians, etc... I think America is quick to box us (whites, blacks, hispanics, etc) into these neat categories but many forget the rich diversity from within each group.

Old 08-07-2008, 06:24 AM

2,603 posts, read 4,867,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liberal elite View Post
False.

False.

False.

False.

False.

False.

False.

Try again.
I don't have to. The study by Harvard social scientist Robert Putnam, who is only considered to be America's leading civic engagement authority and an avowed liberal, did all the legwork for me. If that's not good enough then that's your problem.

Old 08-07-2008, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liberal elite View Post
Let them bask in their own ignorance in Omaha, Mobile, AL or wherever it is they live.

Some people are just beyond help.
LOL!
This is where I own a home and live with my wife,:
Dorchester, MA

Demographics
As of 2000 the population of Dorchester was 92,115 and the ethnic makeup was 32% White alone, 36% African American or Black, 12% Hispanic or Latino, 11% Asian or Pacific Islander, <1% Native American, 4% some other race, 5% two or more races.

I would love to see your community profile.

Old 08-07-2008, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Angel and The Dolphin;4755266
Wow, you sound awfully defensive. I guess you feel persecuted for wanting to live in a less diverse area?
Huh?!!!

Quote:
I've seen reports to the contrary of what you site, though.
Let's see 'em!
And they need to be from someone equally as reputable as my source.

Quote:
Guess it all depends on perspective; not quite sure why you're taking diversity so personally though.
Again, Huh?!!!
Every one of my posts have been based completely on scientific data. The only ones taking it personally are sav, soho and liberal elite (who should be absolutely ashamed of that name) and now it seems you.

I read the threads on this board all the time where people talk about their cities or cities that they want to move to. One of the biggest knocks listed by many people regarding a certain city is that they are not diverse enough. Conversely one of the biggest attributes listed for many cities in these threads is that they have plenty of diversity. Homogeneity is a curse and is ugly and should be avoided like the plague.
Based on the study, diversity is overrated, in fact, it can actually be harmful to the social health of a neighborhood. I find that fascinating and funny.
Apparently it has been taken as quite an affront to some people on this board who have a difficult time being told that one of the things that they cherish the most (diversity) is actually not as good as the thing that they most abhor (homogeneity).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies