Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2012, 11:01 PM

39 posts, read 53,254 times

Advertisements

You can look at facial features and tell someone is probably european. You can see european features on probably most US blacks. Most US blacks are mixed. Most Americans are mixed. Many Europeans say there is an American look. Wide face, cheeks. Americans don't have the high cheek bones as much. Some of that is just body language. Some Americans strut when they walk. There are slight differences.

It is probably just the way they look when they carry themselves.

Old 03-05-2012, 05:21 PM

958 posts, read 1,197,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Italian, Spanish and Portugese are all non-White
No, they aren't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleinberglowenstein View Post
Part of the reason the Spanish Empire split into so many different pieces was racial differences. For example, most Hispanic countries besides Spain are majority mestizo: of Spanish and aboriginal heritage. The old Spanish colonies in the Caribbean (Cuba, Dominican Republic, and Puerto Rico) are majority white origin, unlike British Caribbean colonies and Haiti which are overwhelmingly black. Indians are extinct in the Caribbean. The Incas are still very much alive in Peru, and ironically Peru has a government more like Spain's than any other ex-Spanish colony. Argentina and parts of Chile (along with Brazil) have a huge white population. There are many many Italian families in Argentina and a lot of these people look American.
Well that's a whole bunch of generalizations right there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PosterExtraordinaire View Post
Hahaha, never heard an American say that.... What's awesome about you guys is you can check 'Hispanic' on all applications and get the benefits intended for Mexicans and other mestizo Latins.
You can thank the Spanish and Portuguese for that. Honestly I never even hear anybody bring up whether or not somebody from a Latin American country is in fact of indigenous descent yet everybody always assumes they are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngxx View Post
More than that what I consider dramatic is the existence of Americans that their only knowledge of the rest of the world is what the have learned through Hollywood movies.
You clearly don't know much about the US. The only people who lump all white people together over here are those who don't come from a group that was discriminated against at any point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
A white or Caucasian person is one who has his or her origins in Europe, North Africa or the Middle East..
White and Caucasian are not the same thing. White comes from "white man" which is a term that was coined by the indigenous populations of the countries that Europeans "colonized" so no it does not mean whatever you want it to mean. It means the people who "colonized" them and their descendants.

Old 03-09-2012, 06:42 PM

983 posts, read 3,597,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSprings1 View Post
You can look at facial features and tell someone is probably european. You can see european features on probably most US blacks. Most US blacks are mixed.
European facial features are found even among Austronesians who are not mixed.

Old 03-11-2012, 06:12 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,238,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
I wonder if Spaniards go through some type of identity crisis when they come to the U.S. in which they are longer white but lump into the Hispanic racial category and are considered not white by many ignorant Americans?
Doubt it. Spaniards are very prideful people. They have a rep for following their blood lines for centuries. That is why they also have a rep for being arrogant. So to answer your question I think most would be very proud of their Spanish roots and would not care what some "dumb American" thought.

Old 03-20-2012, 02:33 PM

1 posts, read 1,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolillo_loco View Post
Here's what I see when I look at the actors you've just talked about:

Antonio Banderas - Latino
Penelope Cruz - Hot Latina. I knew she was a Latina as soon as I saw her.

Antonio Banderas, and Penelope Cruz are not Latino/ Latina. They are not from Latin America. Both are from Spain so therefore they are Spaniard.

Old 03-22-2012, 04:37 PM

6 posts, read 11,840 times
It's not just people in Spain, but Southern and Eastern Europeans in general, that Americans find to be other than White.

It's largely because many do not have light hair and light eyes, so Americans don't think of them as pure White.

Now Sweden, that is a country that all Americans think of as the whitest. And blue eyed blondes are what... 2% of the worlds population? Lol.

Old 03-31-2012, 09:48 PM

1 posts, read 1,831 times
Why are people so ignorant? What makes me laugh is that some of you talk as though you are so convinced about what you are saying but really have NO clue! I was born in Northern Spain and the amount of American cultural ignorance in this country is dumbfounding! Get a clue before some of you speak or write/post. Ignorant People say to me all the time that I do not "look" Spanish. Well I can't look any more Spanish than being born there and being 100 % on both my parents side. I am whiter than most Americans I know. I have green eyes and brown hair. I have cousins with blonde hair and blue eyes and even red hair. Do you really know? Have you been to Spain before you talk as though you know what people from there are like? Get a clue!

Old 04-01-2012, 06:49 AM

Default Blanquura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewel girl View Post
Why are people so ignorant? What makes me laugh is that some of you talk as though you are so convinced about what you are saying but really have NO clue! I was born in Northern Spain and the amount of American cultural ignorance in this country is dumbfounding! Get a clue before some of you speak or write/post. Ignorant People say to me all the time that I do not "look" Spanish. Well I can't look any more Spanish than being born there and being 100 % on both my parents side. I am whiter than most Americans I know. I have green eyes and brown hair. I have cousins with blonde hair and blue eyes and even red hair. Do you really know? Have you been to Spain before you talk as though you know what people from there are like? Get a clue!
Wow, you sound so angry.
White in the US often is much more than skin/eye/hair color. There have been times when Irish and Eastern Europeans weren't considered White.
Even in the 21st century some Russians [with fair hair and eyes] in the US didn't consider themselves White.
So calm down. There's no use getting your Irish up just because of this.

Old 04-02-2012, 07:30 PM

47 posts, read 93,683 times
This is one reason I wish I lived somewhere else than America. People think I'm "weird" for pursuing culture as a hobby. Knowledge and intellectuality are not cool in the USA.

Old 04-03-2012, 09:27 AM

Default Blanquura

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandyPuppy1977 View Post
This is one reason I wish I lived somewhere else than America. People think I'm "weird" for pursuing culture as a hobby. Knowledge and intellectuality are not cool in the USA.
I don't know if living outside of America would make much difference in understanding that White in the USA is way more than just skin/eye/hair color.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutre View Post
White in the US often is much more than skin/eye/hair color. There have been times when Irish and Eastern Europeans weren't considered White.
Even in the 21st century some Russians [with fair hair and eyes] in the US didn't consider themselves White.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies