Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 05:57 PM

6,795 posts, read 7,291,785 times

Advertisements

Is anyone else fed up with the tainted food we are being sold? I have no confidence whatsoever in the Government or the FDA to protect the food supply. Is it too much to ask for to make sure our food is not contaminated with bacteria from feces? Is it too much to ask that we know where our food came from? Apparently it is. The people in Washington are too busy taking bribes and selling out our country to look out after our interests. Anyone who voted for NAFTA should be put on trial as a traitor!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2008, 06:17 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,864,651 times
I would say of equal concern are the substances being fed to the animals people eat. How do they think hormones and steroids don't transfer to the people that eat it? Perhaps this is the reason men are losing their hair younger, or puberty is happening at a younger age.

Old 06-20-2008, 06:19 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
FDA, USDA..take your pick.

I frequent Farmer's markets and order my meat from a farm about 1 hour away.
I only buy US produce when I have to and raise my own chickens.

Way to much is now imported or done in such large numbers (huge slaugter houses) and our government inspectors can't control it anymore.

Old 06-20-2008, 10:20 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,886,289 times
Well it seems they suspect that it is waste in the soil beinbg used most often. I wander about even local farmers. The best bet is to grow your own it seems. Do you really thnik we have the personell to check all the food used in teh US;get real. There has always been a problem we just never heard about ti because it wasn't big news then. I hate to know the stats on contaminated food in restaurants and other eating place .

Old 06-20-2008, 11:20 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Well it seems they suspect that it is waste in the soil beinbg used most often. I wander about even local farmers. The best bet is to grow your own it seems. Do you really thnik we have the personell to check all the food used in teh US;get real. There has always been a problem we just never heard about ti because it wasn't big news then. I hate to know the stats on contaminated food in restaurants and other eating place .
Well you have to wonder where these corp farms are getting their fertilizer from..the feed lots ? And, if it's manure based then it should be put in the soil way before planting..not on top of growing crops.

Yes, there is E. Coli that naturally occurs in the soil but not in the huge amounts that end up in a supermarket and sicken hundreds of people.
It's got to be coming from someplace else.

I don't worry about the farmer that I buy my meat from..the animals are grass fed and pasture rotated.

Old 06-20-2008, 11:50 PM

33,558 posts, read 37,155,629 times
Yeah, I'm sick of it literally. I spent the entire night in the bathroom because of something I ate. I have no idea if it was the lettuce, broccoli, bell peppers, cucumber or the apple, so I have to throw it all out.

Old 06-21-2008, 12:34 AM

1,845 posts, read 4,229,878 times
I live in Umbria. The locals here, the great majority of them, eat what they have been eating for literally centuries. The distribution has improved very modestly and the packaging is modern, but the stuff if fairly local. But this is beginning to change. Because of this, you pretty much know the farmer or their family that raised the 8 cows, pigs and sheep. If Andreas screws up, we know where to find him.

In the US, we became accustomed to mass distribution and varieties of foods from all over the world. One mega farm produces millions of packages of washed lettuce and sells it cheaply. One mega meat plant will produce millions of pounds of meat and sell it cheaply.

I used to live in the Bay Area where you had to have one recipe ingredient from the other side of the planet and it would be available. It became part of our culture and we were proud to have the newness and variety.

In the end though. How many instances of tainted food have really hurt us? Has the FDA done that bad of a job?

If you got sick from eating an apple, it is probably because you didn't wash it.

Old 06-21-2008, 03:33 AM

10,503 posts, read 15,571,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob The Builder View Post
In the end though. How many instances of tainted food have really hurt us? Has the FDA done that bad of a job?
No, it hasn't. You know what the problem is? Because of all the antibiotics, shots, etc. that our society has gotten used to, it's weakened our immune systems. I went to Malaysia 2 years ago & I got almost all of my food from hawker stalls...you know, those cool stalls you see on travel shows where the food is there, you walk up & just order what you see? Yeah, some of that food has been sitting out, in the blistering hot sun, for awhile, but did I get sick? Nope. Was the food excellent? Oh hell yeah! Do the locals get sick? No, not as far as I heard. Our society & culture have become a bunch of prissies as far as all of that is concerned. But of course, that's just my experience & humble opinion.

Old 06-21-2008, 04:19 AM

1,845 posts, read 4,229,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
No, it hasn't. You know what the problem is? Because of all the antibiotics, shots, etc. that our society has gotten used to, it's weakened our immune systems. I went to Malaysia 2 years ago & I got almost all of my food from hawker stalls...you know, those cool stalls you see on travel shows where the food is there, you walk up & just order what you see? Yeah, some of that food has been sitting out, in the blistering hot sun, for awhile, but did I get sick? Nope. Was the food excellent? Oh hell yeah! Do the locals get sick? No, not as far as I heard. Our society & culture have become a bunch of prissies as far as all of that is concerned. But of course, that's just my experience & humble opinion.
karfar

I totally agree with you. One side of our society wants a totally germ free world. That will doom the human race.

I live by the 5 second rule!!!

Old 06-21-2008, 04:44 AM

602 posts, read 1,963,402 times
I am not a vegetarian, but if I ever became one, it would be b/c I couldn't deal with the sheer nastiness of knowing my meat was contaminated by E. coli and friends. That said, BtB is right: There is no way to make all of life truly sterile and hazard-free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies