Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 05:11 AM

1,845 posts, read 4,230,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlourChild View Post
I am not a vegetarian, but if I ever became one, it would be b/c I couldn't deal with the sheer nastiness of knowing my meat was contaminated by E. coli and friends. That said, BtB is right: There is no way to make all of life truly sterile and hazard-free.
Flour

I think there is a way. Laws could made to make sure we eat nothing but sterile mush. Then one bug from some smuggled in food or some mutated insect will kill us all. But I am no biologist... I am talking science fiction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2008, 01:26 PM

6,795 posts, read 7,295,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob The Builder View Post
I live in Umbria. The locals here, the great majority of them, eat what they have been eating for literally centuries. The distribution has improved very modestly and the packaging is modern, but the stuff if fairly local. But this is beginning to change. Because of this, you pretty much know the farmer or their family that raised the 8 cows, pigs and sheep. If Andreas screws up, we know where to find him.

In the US, we became accustomed to mass distribution and varieties of foods from all over the world. One mega farm produces millions of packages of washed lettuce and sells it cheaply. One mega meat plant will produce millions of pounds of meat and sell it cheaply.

I used to live in the Bay Area where you had to have one recipe ingredient from the other side of the planet and it would be available. It became part of our culture and we were proud to have the newness and variety.

In the end though. How many instances of tainted food have really hurt us? Has the FDA done that bad of a job?

If you got sick from eating an apple, it is probably because you didn't wash it.
Well let’s see, in order for cases to make it into the stats, the cases must be reported by a doctor or medical facility, in the latest case (tomatoes contaminated with a strain of salmonella that comes from human or animal feces) we are talking nearly 400 cases. The previous spinach contamination (again feces contamination) we were talking 3 fatalities and hundreds hospitalized. How many cases are never reported because people don't seek medical care? How many cases do you ever remember happening prior to about 10 years ago? Perhaps when you or someone you care about is lying in a hospital, and no one can tell you if they will recover or not, you will understand that playing Russian roulette with our food supply is unacceptable. Government and corporations who run the government are only concerned with profit and really don't care how many people are sickened or killed. The crap is not only in our food it is also collecting government pay checks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies