Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2008, 07:11 AM

10,654 posts, read 18,727,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkaren View Post
"...In fact, most women who have abortions have had no previous abortions (52%) or only one previous abortion (26%)..."

So, 48 percent of women who have an abortion have had at least one abortion prior.

Oh, and half of those...have had two or more priors.

I'm sure you'll discount that statistic because it comes from a pro-life website:

National Abortion Federation: Women Who Have Abortions

First of all, I could care less how many abortions someone has. I think its a ridiculous form of birth control, but one abortion is the same to me as a few. If you're vehemently pro-life, that should be the case as well, correct? So, 22% of abortions are more than 2. 26% are more than one. The majority are still first timers.

Old 06-10-2008, 07:23 AM

3,454 posts, read 7,437,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
If you're vehemently pro-life, that should be the case as well, correct? So, 22% of abortions are more than 2. 26% are more than one. The majority are still first timers.
I'm vehemently pro-compassion. If a child's brain and nerve system are developed, he or she can feel pain and fear. So that's a no-go for me.

In my opinion, if you're too ignorant to know you're pregnant by 3 months, you need to suck it up and make a contingency plan to deal with your "mistake" and make arrangements for adoption.

Old 06-10-2008, 07:31 AM

10,654 posts, read 18,727,795 times
What about the 14/15 year old who is too scared to tell her parents, until it's obvious? Or the incest victim? Rape victim who was ashamed and in denial? Couple who finds out their fetus has no brain or hydrocephalus? There are too many blurred lines for me to agree with pushing back to first trimester only.

And you have the right to your beliefs. You don't have to apply them to yourself.

Old 06-10-2008, 07:46 AM

1,016 posts, read 4,556,148 times
I don't like abortion, I don't agree with it as a form of birth control, and I honestly don't know why women are not more careful about using a reliable form of birth control because it certainly doesn't look like a fun procedure. (I know birth control can fail, but since most methods are 99% effective, I would guess a lot more abortions are performed because birth control was skipped and not because it was used and failed.) I think if they are going to be performed, they should be performed in the first trimester in most cases. I don't like it, but I don't think it should be outlawed.

I think there are exceptions to every rule. For severe birth defects, why should a woman be forced to carry a child to term that can not live because it has a severe birth defect? Often these are not accidental pregnancies, but women who wanted the baby more than anything and find it has a horrible birth defect and can not live, and it is completely heartbreaking. Many birth defects cause the child to be much more than a little slow. I actually have a brother who was born with a chromosome disorder, he is 27 and needs constant care, can not speak or do anything for himself. My Mom is still at SAHM at 53 years old. You certainly can't put a person like this in daycare, and in my state there is a shortage of group homes. (He has been on waiting lists for years.) He needs constant 24 hours a day care. Would my Mom have aborted him if she had the option? Probably not. But my parents are in a loving marriage and handle their situation wonderfully. But I do think people should have the option to do what they see best for their family and their situation. For those of you that are against abortion in any circumstance, I wonder if you would feel differently if you were in a situation like this. Also, AaronK, I see you are in Illinois, as I am. Know that if you ever find that your fetus has a severe defect, you aren't going to get much help from the government should you choose to carry it to term:
Illinois neglects special-needs citizens -- chicagotribune.com

Last edited by sbd78; 06-10-2008 at 08:23 AM..

Old 06-10-2008, 07:49 AM

1,703 posts, read 3,881,964 times
There are so many gray areas with this issue. I am pro-choice (NOT pro-death) but am vehemently against second/third trimester abortions. I am thankful and lucky I never had to make the decision to abort, keep, or give away an unwanted, unplanned for child. It's not as easy as some think it is. Granted, if you make the adult decision to have sex, you should be prepared for the consequences. However, we all know that not everyone having sex is prepared for the consequences. Not everyone wants to raise their grandchildren either. It's a sweet thought to give a child up for adoption except the red tape in the US makes it very difficult to get through the process so the child sits in an orphanage or foster home and struggles their whole life. You also have some who use abortion as a form of birth control which I do not agree with at all. But there are some who really struggle with the decision and the after math of the decision. I think there are some who would do well to think of all the situations that could exist instead of thinking of everything in black and white.

Old 06-10-2008, 07:53 AM

3,454 posts, read 7,437,965 times
SBD78, that's why prenatal care is so important. Nowadays (I'm sure not back when your brother was born) there are tests that they perform at, I think 12 or 18 weeks that can determine the likelihood of a defect like that.

But to wait until the child is fully formed and aware for testing, and then abort him or her is an atrocity.

As for the 14 or 15 year old, yes. She should carry to term and adopt.

The problem many people have with giving up their child for adoption is that they know they will form a bond and become attached to their child, and it will be very painful to give the child up.

And that is right and proper.

Last edited by bbkaren; 06-10-2008 at 08:12 AM..

Old 06-10-2008, 07:56 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,685,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbd78 View Post
I don't like abortion, I don't agree with it as a form of birth control, and I honestly don't know why women are not more careful about using a reliable form of birth control because it certainly doesn't look like a fun procedure. (I know birth control can fail, but since most methods are 99% effective, I would guess a lot more abortions are performed because birth control was skipped and not because it was used and failed.) I think if they are going to be performed, they should be performed in the first trimester in most cases. I don't like it, but I don't think it should be outlawed.

I think there are exceptions to every rule. For severe birth defects, why should a woman be forced to carry a child to term that can not live because it has a severe birth defect? Often these are not accidental pregnancies, but women who wanted the baby more than anything and find it has a horrible birth defect and can not live, and is completely heartbreaking. Many birth defects cause the child to be much more than a little slow. I actually have a brother who was born with a chromosome disorder, he is 27 and needs constant care, can not speak or do anything for himself. My Mom is still at SAHM at 53 years old. You certainly can't put a person like this in daycare, and in my state there is a shortage of group homes. (He has been on waiting lists for years.) He needs constant 24 hours a day care. Would my Mom have aborted him if she had the option? Probably not. But my parents are in a loving marriage and handle their situation wonderfully. But I do think people should have the option to do what they see best for their family and their situation. Also, for those of you that are against abortion in any circumstance, I wonder if you feel differently if you were in a situation like this. Also, AaronK, I see you are in Illinois, as I am. Know that if you are ever find that your fetus has a severe defect, you aren't going to get much help from the government should you choose to carry it to term:
Illinois neglects special-needs citizens -- chicagotribune.com
Bottom line, can your brother feel pain? To me this is the basis of my argument against second and third trimester abortions.

Now, I was in the position to choose, I chose to honor my daughters lifespan however long it was. I knew she would die at birth if not before (can't intubate without viable lungs), so yeah I was in that position. It is a horrible position to be in no doubt.
I hear a lot of 'only happens in sever fetal defects' but I would like to know more about that....when KS tried to suphoena (sp?) a dr who performed third tri abortions to find out just what were those fetal defects they were fought every step of the way and I don't think they ever got those records. Some people would think being female is a fatal fetal defect, or having downs or any number of things that really aren't.

Old 06-10-2008, 08:08 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,347,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
That's great for your family, but you really advocate forcing a child who was raped to carry to term? Great that it worked for your relative, but it would severely damage most women.

Do you understand how many unadopted children there are right now in the US? 1 million on the books. If there are already 1 million unadopted children, what happens if abortion is made illegal? Who will take care of all of these children? I guess we'll go back to state run orphanages.
I haven't researched this, I admit, but I would imagine that the majority of however many children are NOT adopted were also not available for adoption as infants. Usually they were placed in the foster care system later as older children, and many fear adopting them at that point because of the possible emotional "baggage" they may carry. Probably the overwhelming majority of babies who are aborted would be "adoptable" if they were placed for adoption as infants.

Old 06-10-2008, 08:14 AM

1,016 posts, read 4,556,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Bottom line, can your brother feel pain? To me this is the basis of my argument against second and third trimester abortions.

Now, I was in the position to choose, I chose to honor my daughters lifespan however long it was. I knew she would die at birth if not before (can't intubate without viable lungs), so yeah I was in that position. It is a horrible position to be in no doubt.
I hear a lot of 'only happens in sever fetal defects' but I would like to know A more about that....when KS tried to suphoena (sp?) a dr who performed third tri abortions to find out just what were those fetal defects they were fought every step of the way and I don't think they ever got those records. Some people would think being female is a fatal fetal defect, or having downs or any number of things that really aren't.
Obviously my brother is here, we love him, and my parents care for him and do everything they can to make his life good. (My parents are prolife, BTW so even with today's technology they would not have aborted him.) But it's TOUGH and I don't know if I could do it. When I was pregnant with my son I was sent for genetic counseling because of my brother's situation. A chromosome study was done on me and it was determined I was not a carrier of anything. My son is now 2 and I thank God that he is a healthy little boy. But had it been found that there was something profoundly wrong, I may have considered abortion, I don't know and its tough to say. (This was the first trimester that my tests were done, BTW) I would have been glad to have the option, and I would have been devastated no matter what I chose. But I don't know if I could go through what I've watched my parents go through. It's tough to know until you are in the situation.

And camping, I'm sorry to hear about your daughter, that must have been devastating.

Old 06-10-2008, 08:21 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,685,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbd78 View Post
Obviously my brother is here, we love him, and my parents care for him and do everything they can to make his life good. (My parents are prolife, BTW so even with today's technology they would not have aborted him.) But it's TOUGH and I don't know if I could do it. When I was pregnant with my son I was sent for genetic counseling because of my brother's situation. A chromosome study was done on me and it was determined I was not a carrier of anything. My son is now 2 and I thank God that he is a healthy little boy. But had it been found that there was something profoundly wrong, I may have considered abortion, I don't know and its tough to say. (This was the first trimester that my tests were done, BTW) I would have been glad to have the option, and I would have been devastated no matter what I chose. But I don't know if I could go through what I've watched my parents go through. It's tough to know until you are in the situation.

And camping, I'm sorry to hear about your daughter, that must have been devastating.
Thanks, and I do have utmost sympathy for your parents. I agree -- the thought of having a dependent 'child' for life is unimaginable. And in the first trimester.....I admit I would be tempted to abort. I don't believe that I would, though I can understand those that do. However once out of that first trimester.....it ceases being a choice and becomes barbaric.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.