Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2024, 05:43 PM

6,256 posts, read 4,719,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
You are obviously a compassionate, kind person. However, I think most people (including myself) do not really understand how a war should be fought. My late boyfriend told me, not all Muslims were terrorists when he was a Marine. He STILL lost his life in his very early 20s and I will never "get over" it. He is a very kind soul, but he's also an exceptionally great Marine.

To me, proportionality is an illusion. There is nothing proportional in most conflicts. Many times, you need to act in a way that will discourage any further aggression, especially when your back is against the wall.

The fact that civilians should be protected has nothing to do with proportionality. Targeting civilians is forbidden, however, collateral damage is very difficult to avoid.

I don't believe Palestinian children deserve to die , but I also understand it is a question of legitimate use of means to achieve ends.

As the casualty difference between the two sides became greater, the concept started being used as a propaganda tool by pro Palestinian press. There is absolutely no historical precedent for that concept applied or talked about in any war prior to this.

The low Israeli death rate is due to Israel's massive expenditure of resources to protect its civilian population, with shelters for all, an efficient early warning system, and the iron dome rocket shield.

I think the debate on war has in the recent decade broken down to "good/bad", "right/wrong", "even "left/right". This is not an appropriate way of viewing one of the most important elements of humanity.

War is not a yes or no, always or never decision or circumstance. It is never the same, and always totally dependent on the people involved, the cultures and history of the region as well as the resources in contention.

The point should be that war is a FINAL option. War is not a game.

I lost childhood friend and my first love because of this horrible war on terror. My personal opinion is that you fight to survive. no more/no less.

When Jewish people say, "Never again". They really mean it. Never again.
Thank you for your thoughtful post. While I am not certain I would agree 100%, I can appreciate what you are saying and appreciate the rare quality of looking at other peoples' viewpoints and not being so entrenched in your own that you automatically fire back a surly rebuttal without stopping to think it through. That is a rare quality nowadays, particularly on this forum so it's as good as gold.

Old 05-07-2024, 07:15 PM

57,380 posts, read 26,493,230 times
Quote:
I have all the compassion towards ukraine. God bless them, but American tax payers have paid billions and its still not enough. Money does not grow on trees. Our Russian American neighbors are not chanting " death to America".

By the way, this is going to be my last post about ukraine. Let's not hijack this thread, okay?
I thin asking the US to pay the equivalent of 3% of our defense budget to prevent Russia from annexing them is money well spent compared to all the senseless ME wars which was hundreds of billions. No US soldiers and Ukraine is putting their lives on the line.

Old 05-07-2024, 09:32 PM

3,011 posts, read 3,573,120 times
Leftists?

Old 05-07-2024, 10:56 PM

34,302 posts, read 17,422,139 times
Quote:
You are obviously a compassionate, kind person. However, I think most people (including myself) do not really understand how a war should be fought. My late boyfriend told me, not all Muslims were terrorists when he was a Marine. He STILL lost his life in his very early 20s and I will never "get over" it. He is a very kind soul, but he's also an exceptionally great Marine.

To me, proportionality is an illusion. There is nothing proportional in most conflicts. Many times, you need to act in a way that will discourage any further aggression, especially when your back is against the wall.

The fact that civilians should be protected has nothing to do with proportionality. Targeting civilians is forbidden, however, collateral damage is very difficult to avoid.

I don't believe Palestinian children deserve to die , but I also understand it is a question of legitimate use of means to achieve ends.

As the casualty difference between the two sides became greater, the concept started being used as a propaganda tool by pro Palestinian press. There is absolutely no historical precedent for that concept applied or talked about in any war prior to this.

The low Israeli death rate is due to Israel's massive expenditure of resources to protect its civilian population, with shelters for all, an efficient early warning system, and the iron dome rocket shield.

I think the debate on war has in the recent decade broken down to "good/bad", "right/wrong", "even "left/right". This is not an appropriate way of viewing one of the most important elements of humanity.

War is not a yes or no, always or never decision or circumstance. It is never the same, and always totally dependent on the people involved, the cultures and history of the region as well as the resources in contention.

The point should be that war is a FINAL option. War is not a game.

I lost childhood friend and my first love because of this horrible war on terror. My personal opinion is that you fight to survive. no more/no less.

When Jewish people say, "Never again". They really mean it. Never again.
Excellent post. 10/6/23 the region was at piece. 10/7/23 saw more Israel citizens killed as a % of their population than we lost at Pearl Harbor. Attacks have consequences. Israel needs to eliminate those who would like to do unto it a more deadly 10/7. Civilians will die in the process, just as they did at Hiroshima, or Berlin in the last month of the war in 1945. Collateral damage is sad, but unavoidable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies